• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How Rare Is It? Part1

I recently acquired this gun from a gentleman who is a collector with great taste and has located/imported many guns over the years. This is a left handed .177 TX200SR. It is in a wonderful Hyedua / Ovangkol Nick Jenkinson stock from the research I have conducted. I know that other left handed TX200SR's were made but I can't find any others that made it to the US and overall there could't have been many produced.

Please let me know if you have one, have seen one and if so where?

I know there are some great guys here with tremendous historical knowledge.

The Hyedua stock does not show in pictures the way it looks in reality. It has a reflective shimmer that makes the figuring look almost 3 dimensional. 

1598588834_3056860715f4887a2c70af8.47406586.jpg

1598588866_18853284035f4887c2c17e92.55035221.jpg

1598589092_14515523985f4888a44fe652.91989446.jpg

Feel free to jump on in if you have a gun you have questions about or would like to know...How Rare Is It?

Nope, you’re the man. You’re the one always finding the good stuff. I don’t even know how you do it, or where you dig it up. Did I mention I’m envious/jealous? These two guns you posted tonight are just beautiful, really something special. I totally see what you mean about the black chrome and I bet it’s 10x more beautiful in person, like the wood on the TX200sr. Have a good one Lewis.

Stoti

Man Lewis, you sure find some cool stuff. Of course since I’m a lefty too, I’m always jealous. The last picture kind of captures the beauty of the wood. It’s pretty obvious that it’s a special piece of wood and an epic air gun. Congrats bud! 

Caliber?

Stoti

It is a .177 as is the SR Venom. I edited both posts to include caliber. 

Thanks for the reminder.

Sounds like there are at least 2 other Lefty SR's here in the states! That is great. 

Let's see if we can create an informal database of the serial numbers/owners/locations. We have done this with muscle cars for years and it is great when you have a question to be able to go right to someone and say "Hey does yours have the retractable hurnulating flux thruster under the boron trim flange?"

I'll start.

This one is serial # 14487 

Lewis Mayfield

Eureka CA

Hello, I was looking online for some information and the picture of Lewis's rifle caught my attention so I registered with the site as I thought you might like a bit of background information on this gun.

I acquired this rifle about twenty years ago for my friend Tony Collins who was originally a right handed hooter, but as a result of effects of his type 1 diabetes lost the sight in his right eye so had to give up most of his firearms and moved to shooting a bit of air rifle field target shooting.

He had tried my TX200SR previously (see image below) and liked the rifle so asked if I could obtain one for him.

SR3.1635312206.jpg

After a bit of searching I found the rifle that the OP now owns. When I first obtained it the cheekpiece was higher, but Tony found this too much for him so he carefully modified it to the height that you see now. 

Tony enjoyed using the rifle for several years, but when his eyesight in his left eye deteriorated further he decided to move the rifle on. I remember it was sold to a very pleasant gentleman in the US, IIRC based in Florida, but his name escapes me now.

With the loss of most of his eyesight Tony took up blind air rifle shooting, a 10 metre discipline that uses an 'audio-sight'. This uses a reverse colour target with a white bull, shading out to a darker colour at the edges, the audio sight reads the light reflected off the target and converts it to an audible tone fed to the shoter via headphones, the higher the pitch the closer to the centre of the target. He competed successfully at local, national and some international matches.

Unfortunately Tony died in 2015 at a young age in his mid 40's.

Left handed TX200SR's are not common, but the left handed NJ Custom stocks in Hyedua are very scarce.

The NJ Custom stocks were built to Nick Jenkinson's design by a company called Custom Stocks based in Sheffield, England and were available for a wide range of air rifle actions, most were made in walnut, but there was a phase where Hyedua was being used and some of it was absolutely stunning in terms of the grain, colour and figuring. The extra deep fore-end on Lewis's stock was a rare optional extra.

Here are some other examples of NJ Custom pattern stocks:

Walnut NJ Custom stock fitted to modified NJR100 action:

Air Arms NJR100 2.1635313547.JPG

Walnut version on Sportsmatch GC2:

Sportsmatch GC2Mk3 Stainless NJ custom 2.1635313630.jpg

Hyedua version fitted to my Ripley AR4:

AR4-2.1635313687.jpg

This last example has some non-standard after market modifications including the adjustable cheek piece, finger grooves added to the pistol grip and the slots in the fore-end.

• Love
Reactions: Heathrow