• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How people win at field target

I've been doing some statistical analysis of the last 10 matches in our area and I've spotted some trends. This is mostly for PCP, we don't have enough different piston shooters to spot meaningful trends.

For WFTF, everything under 40 yards should be automatic.
Positional shots should be 75% or better.
The winner is going to be whoever shot the long targets the best. And some shooters do better in the wind.
So my recommendation (assuming you have good dope for the close shots) is to practice offhand and long shots.

For Hunter, again everything under 40 yards should be a hit. Oddly, the top hunter shooters are more likely to whiff an occasional close or medium target than the WFTF shooters.
There is a clear line with some top shooters doing well at positionals and average at long shots while others do well at long shots and struggle with positionals.
For example, at a fairly easy monthly shoot last month, one shooter missed a 53 yard target and went 6 of 8 on standing and kneeling. He tied another shooter that cleaned the sitting shots and went 5 for 8 on positionals.
At a very tough match two months ago, the winner hit 87.5% of the long shots, missed one short shot and went 4 for 6 standing. 2nd place hit 83% of the long shots and missed 2 medium shots (one of those being a 52.5 troyer shot at 21 yards) and also went 4 of 6 standing. 3rd place was perfect out to 40 but missed 6 long shots and shot 50% standing. If he would have hit 1 more standing and 2 of the long shots he missed, he would have tied for 1st. The margins are very thin in Hunter class.
So for Hunter I think the recommendation is the same: know your short stuff, practice the long shots and positionals. You can win a match hitting the long shots, but you can lose a match missing the positionals.

We don't have a lot of Open class shooters (or more than 1 at a time), but I recall when we had a top Open class shooter come to our matches, he would usually clean the sitting shots (or come close) and miss one or two standing shots. I think with the ability to range combined with the 20 fpe limit, positionals would be the focus for Open class shooters.

Based on this analysis, my new practice routine is to put a 1 inch KZ target at 50+ yards and hammer it for a while, then move to 25 yards and shoot it standing and kneeling for a while. Then back to sitting, and so on. No more putting out 6 or 8 targets at various distances, they turn into confidence boosters instead of practice targets. And all that walking around cuts into practice time.

Hope this helps, and selfishly I hope it doesn't help too much. Now quit reading and go practice.

Some great info. Thank you for breaking this down.

I know on my second match, after I missed my 3rd standing shot, I got more and more frustrated and gave up on the 4th shot as I didnt want to hold the grouping up. I know that many leave points on the board in the positional lanes. This winter I am going to practice alot and look at ways of improving them. I want the offhand and kneeling lanes to be the confident lanes not the awww man lanes.

As one would suspect, it's about hitting the longer (50+) shots, doing well with the positionals, and, especially with the WFTF classes, reading the wind.

It all comes down to how much one practices. Here in Massachusetts, shooting outside in the winter is not really an option. So it's positional practice all winter in the basement.

When it's shooting season and there's a windy day. Don't say to yourself, "it's not a good day to shoot", go out and shoot. Start to get a feel for the wind and how much you have to hold off for any given distance and wind speed. All other things being equal, the person who can read the wind the best will win the match.

Chas

I've been doing some statistical analysis of the last 10 matches in our area and I've spotted some trends. This is mostly for PCP, we don't have enough different piston shooters to spot meaningful trends.

For WFTF, everything under 40 yards should be automatic.
Positional shots should be 75% or better.
The winner is going to be whoever shot the long targets the best. And some shooters do better in the wind.
So my recommendation (assuming you have good dope for the close shots) is to practice offhand and long shots.

For Hunter, again everything under 40 yards should be a hit. Oddly, the top hunter shooters are more likely to whiff an occasional close or medium target than the WFTF shooters.
There is a clear line with some top shooters doing well at positionals and average at long shots while others do well at long shots and struggle with positionals.
For example, at a fairly easy monthly shoot last month, one shooter missed a 53 yard target and went 6 of 8 on standing and kneeling. He tied another shooter that cleaned the sitting shots and went 5 for 8 on positionals.
At a very tough match two months ago, the winner hit 87.5% of the long shots, missed one short shot and went 4 for 6 standing. 2nd place hit 83% of the long shots and missed 2 medium shots (one of those being a 52.5 troyer shot at 21 yards) and also went 4 of 6 standing. 3rd place was perfect out to 40 but missed 6 long shots and shot 50% standing. If he would have hit 1 more standing and 2 of the long shots he missed, he would have tied for 1st. The margins are very thin in Hunter class.
So for Hunter I think the recommendation is the same: know your short stuff, practice the long shots and positionals. You can win a match hitting the long shots, but you can lose a match missing the positionals.

We don't have a lot of Open class shooters (or more than 1 at a time), but I recall when we had a top Open class shooter come to our matches, he would usually clean the sitting shots (or come close) and miss one or two standing shots. I think with the ability to range combined with the 20 fpe limit, positionals would be the focus for Open class shooters.

Based on this analysis, my new practice routine is to put a 1 inch KZ target at 50+ yards and hammer it for a while, then move to 25 yards and shoot it standing and kneeling for a while. Then back to sitting, and so on. No more putting out 6 or 8 targets at various distances, they turn into confidence boosters instead of practice targets. And all that walking around cuts into practice time.

Hope this helps, and selfishly I hope it doesn't help too much. Now quit reading and go practice.
Excellent advice - and if everyone follows - this should ensure i continue to get money from big airgun manufacturers who pay me NOT to shoot their pricey airguns very poorly at national events. :}

As one would suspect, it's about hitting the longer (50+) shots, doing well with the positionals, and, especially with the WFTF classes, reading the wind.

It all comes down to how much one practices. Here in Massachusetts, shooting outside in the winter is not really an option. So it's positional practice all winter in the basement.

When it's shooting season and there's a windy day. Don't say to yourself, "it's not a good day to shoot", go out and shoot. Start to get a feel for the wind and how much you have to hold off for any given distance and wind speed. All other things being equal, the person who can read the wind the best will win the match.

Chas
Yes, Jeff Cloud has has been guilting me into practicing on windy days instead of hiding out. I enjoy shooting in the wind a lot more now that I'm back to shooting a PCP. Being able to see the pellet sure is helpful.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
If you're confident in your seated position, you should be practicing standing and kneeling. Not only will this solidify your positional tecniques, it has an added side effect of stabilizing your seated position. Or at least it makes it seem easier.

As for winning, you have to want it bad enough to set aside other parts of your life to practice and shoot matches. I prefer situational practice, so attending as many matches as possible over shooting paper is what works for me. I beleive poor technique and bad habits become glaringly evident at a match vs a practice session. Once those definciencies are visible, then a practice/training session is needed.

I also forgot to add that if you hold matches, that's more personal time away from other commitments. And yes, having multiple FT courses makes "practice" easier. But I tend to spend more time maintaning them than shooting.

John

Always surprises me how resistant to practicing kneeling and offhand most ft shooters seem to be. Even shooters that practice a lot don't seem to practice positionals much.
It's human nature to practice what you are good at rather than what you need to be good at.

I don't have your depth of knowledge about how other people practice, I can only speak for myself. I shoot a lot of offhand when I'm bored at the house, but it's not very structured so if I am not doing well, I get bored and quit. I'm trying to set aside 20 minutes every day where I have a legit off hand practice session instead of just standing around and shooting.

It's human nature to practice what you are good at rather than what you need to be good at.

I don't have your depth of knowledge about how other people practice, I can only speak for myself. I shoot a lot of offhand when I'm bored at the house, but it's not very structured so if I am not doing well, I get bored and quit. I'm trying to set aside 20 minutes every day where I have a legit off hand practice session instead of just standing around and shooting.

No depth of knowledge here. Just the comments from squadmates about not ever practicing offhand, or not having shot offhand since the last match, etc. Well, those comments + how knockdown percentages are often so low on kneelers and offhand and the assumption that not many are practicing them if not many are knocking them down on a regular basis.

Nice analysis Scott!

I subscribe to the Ron Robinson school of winning. To quote Ron:

”Winning is easy, just suck less than every body else!”

That guy must be some kinda CAVE MAN!🦧 They actually let "people" like that participate in field target in Texas?🤬 I thought FT is a gentleman's sport!🕺

Nevertheless, that may be the most succinctly profound analysis on winning I've ever sai... errr, I mean, boas... errr, I mean, writ... errr, I mean, heard. Dude must be some kinda cave man genius.

:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Interesting post but I cannot shoot kneeling so I'm already in the tank on those. My theory of match shooting is simple, you win by hitting the difficult targets and you lose by missing the easier targets. Think about it!

Rick B.
In 3P smallbore matches it’s called winning in standing but losing the match in prone. You have to clean the easy shots so you have a buffer going into the positional shots.

I'm weird.
A decent offhand shot but at my age when I practice it I don't seem to get any better. It's more a of day to day thing, either I'm on or I'm not.

A year or so back I practiced offhand for a UFT match 3 times a weak and thought I was all dialed in because I was hitting a 2" round steel spinner at 25Y 90 percent of the time. Ha, in the match nerves took over and I got 1 out of 4 on bigger KZ's.
It's hard to overcome my own Steveness, LOL.

All of the above.... and keep your head in the game ... on game day.

Conditioning as well.. Do you do better on the first half of the match and poop out in the second half?

So you don't make dumb mistakes... Always use the same procedure.. Mine is to first locate and estimate yardage to the targets before sitting down, try to sit down perfectly lined up on the first target, set estimated yardage on side wheel, cock my hammer, load a pellet, close the breech, range the target, read the wind, concentrate on my follow through and break the shot.

We all have our own methods or ways to continue shooting FT.
I have had a few years out, busted legs.
Motivated by this thread and the OP I'm going to continue, most shots this winter will done standing.
Kit set up today, now just need to test my legs and build muscle memory.
FT life 😂.

IMG_20231026_141231.jpg

Reactions: humbled