• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

how often do you use a chronograph ?

I see that alot of people use a chronograph , I get the purpose of them, and see them as a good way to tune or check the gun but after that ? I have only one gun , I have figured out the sweet spot on the shot count using the manometer / air pressure I have found the "best " pellet choice for the accuracy and distance . I don't have hard numbers , that the chrono would give me but I do have a good idea how many shots I can achieve , at different weight pellets and distances so what am I missing ? I would like to hear what others are using them for, and if they are using them every time they shoot. the same gun? or just to 

I use my chrono to see if anything has changed. I have 2 FX500's that are not regulated so not much need to chrono. The only adjustment is the hammer spring. My FX400 has a reg so I confirm the setting. It is consistent when it falls off the reg so I don't chrono it much anymore. I have chronographed all the different settings with the power wheel on my 500 and 400 and they don't change. I have powder burners that I play around with so I use the chronograph for them. Nice to have. Have fun, Scott

I see that allot of people use a chronograph , I get the purpose of them, and see them as a good way to tune or check the gun but after that ? I have only one gun ,( Benjamin Cayden) I have figured out the sweet spot on the shot count using the manometer / air pressure I have found the "best " pellet choice for the accuracy at varying distances . I don't have hard numbers , that the chrono would give me but I do have a good idea how many shots I can achieve , at different weight pellets and distances so what am I missing ? I would like to hear what others are using them for, and if they are using them every time they shoot. the same gun? or just to get info on a new gun? I have been warned not to get caught up in the hype of the air gun world and keep it simple., is this hype or a worth while investment tool?

I use my chrono to see if anything has changed. I have 2 FX500's that are not regulated so not much need to chrono. The only adjustment is the hammer spring. My FX400 has a reg so I confirm the setting. It is consistent when it falls off the reg so I don't chrono it much anymore. I have chronographed all the different settings with the power wheel on my 500 and 400 and they don't change. I have powder burners that I play around with so I use the chronograph for them. Nice to have. Have fun, Scott

my Cayden isn't regulated as well , and thought the same , I have figured out the power wheel and settings for varying pellet weights and their distances for good results, but I am new to air guns . Seems it would be a good tool for a club, or shooting range rental like they do with gun rests / stands . 

I use mine for every new gun to get its baseline. Then while/after tuning it, recording all the different parameters of the tune options. After that only crono when a problem seems too arise, crono double checks there is a problem. Then use the crono after repair/tune to reestablish correct baseline tune.

Also use it when trying out new slugs/pellets to find their 'sweet spot'. Without a crono its hard to judge fps, which is the only way to find the optimum fps of a given projectile. Also find it useful to tune/record new barrel/pellet/slug combos fps at best accuracy/@ specific distance.

Imo, if you're just going to shoot the gun out of the box with no tuning other than the power wheel and pellet choices, then crono is nice to have for a baseline and to record pellet performance, but not a necessity. Once you start twisting that hammer spring tension, adjusting that regulator, changing fill pressures, porting valves/tp, etc, then a crono is essential. A tool that allows us not tune blindly...

So to answer your question, I can go months without using my crono, then use it every day for a week or more. Just another tool, like a wrench. My x wife called me anal retentive because of all the expensive equipment and tools in my shop. I really enjoy having the correct tool for the job, and find a great crono needed and cherished dearly...

jmo

I think if you are happy with what you have and how it is working, you can do without, stay away. 

If you tinker with it. You will want something to help verify changes made and when it works the best. Speed by itself is not enough information it is just a variable. It can be a indicator that something has changed. You still have to look at pressures. Hammer weights, positions of various items, port configurations, barrel condition, POI, changes, pellets, etc. Sometimes too many variables can be overwhelming

I use mine for every new gun to get its baseline. Then while/after tuning it, recording all the different parameters of the tune options. After that only crono when a problem seems too arise, crono double checks there is a problem. Then use the crono after repair/tune to reestablish correct baseline tune.

Also use it when trying out new slugs/pellets to find their 'sweet spot'. Without a crono its hard to judge fps, which is the only way to find the optimum fps of a given projectile. Also find it useful to tune/record new barrel/pellet/slug combos fps at best accuracy/@ specific distance.

Imo, if you're just going to shoot the gun out of the box with no tuning other than the power wheel and pellet choices, then crono is nice to have for a baseline and to record pellet performance, but not a necessity. Once you start twisting that hammer spring tension, adjusting that regulator, changing fill pressures, porting valves/tp, etc, then a crono is essential. A tool that allows us not tune blindly...

So to answer your question, I can go months without using my crono, then use it every day for a week or more. Just another tool, like a wrench. My x wife called me anal retentive because of all the expensive equipment and tools in my shop. I really enjoy having the correct tool for the job, and find a great crono needed and cherished dearly...

jmo

This is what I thought t it would be good for, in my case with no tuning or mods to my Cayden the pellet fps would be good useful info , rather then the manometer method with air consumption, and shot count. Thanks for all the good replies .

I think if you are happy with what you have and how it is working, you can do without, stay away. 

If you tinker with it. You will want something to help verify changes made and when it works the best. Speed by itself is not enough information it is just a variable. It can be a indicator that something has changed. You still have to look at pressures. Hammer weights, positions of various items, port configurations, barrel condition, POI, changes, pellets, etc. Sometimes too many variables can be overwhelming

I am very happy with the performance of the Cayden, other then adjusting the trigger blade , I have figured out the weight of pellets / slugs to use at different distances, that work good so far ! There are many to choose from in .22 . LOL ! 

Thanks for all the replies I can see that a chronograph gives some real good information, I no longer think of them as gimmicky, or a waste of funds. I guess that if I want a chronograph I'm going to have to get several air guns so I can justify having to use it .. HONEY , I WANT A CHRONOGRAPH, BUT I AM ALSO GOING TO NEED AT LEAST THREE MORE AIRGUNS SO I CAN GET THE MOST OUT OF THE CHRONOGRAPH...LOL .YA KNOW, EVEN IN PRINT THAT WON'T FLY! My next question to post on the forum HOW DO YOU ALL EXPLAIN YOUR PURCHASES TO THE SANE ONES? WITHOUT BEING COMMITTED , DEVORCED, OR IN MY CASE BARIED ALIVE !!