How often do you clean your barrel?

Yesterday I tried WD40 for first time on my Heavy liner, it was removing an ugly amount of lead probably about 10 patches. Then I toke a ballistol and still some 5-6 patches were showing lead deposits. Then back to WD40 and there and back several times maybe 40 patches still was showing shiny particles. So I cleaned the liner to pure metal finally about an hour rubbing. Polished with brazilian carnauba (my standard polishing compound), will see how long this gonna last.
And after this learning curve I decided I will spend the remaining ZAN slugs, and going back to JSB MK2's.
I was shooting slugs this entire year, nah, too picky too finicky, too much tinkering and too much cleaning...

Reactions: BackStop
Yesterday I tried WD40 for first time on my Heavy liner, it was removing an ugly amount of lead probably about 10 patches. Then I toke a ballistol and still some 5-6 patches were showing lead deposits. Then back to WD40 and there and back several times maybe 40 patches still was showing shiny particles. So I cleaned the liner to pure metal finally about an hour rubbing. Polished with brazilian carnauba (my standard polishing compound), will see how long this gonna last.
And after this learning curve I decided I will spend the remaining ZAN slugs, and going back to JSB MK2's.
I was shooting slugs this entire year, nah, too picky too finicky, too much tinkering and too much cleaning...
Actually, you are only waxing, not polishing with the carnauba. (smile)

Polishing requires a mild abrasive. Carnauba is just wax.

Last edited: