• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How much zoom X are you shooting at 100y-200y

I always set my zoom to 10X and leave it that way when shooting 10 yards to 100 yards. I never messed with the zoom. My scope is max 18X, I never zoom to 18X because it seem to be blurry at the level. Is it normal for scope to get blurry at max zoom? Just wanna know what ppl are zoom at when shooting 100y to 200 yards.

I leave mine on 10X most of the time, but increase or decrease zoom as needed. Whether such such zooming causes the scope to "get blurry" or not depends on the scope. I have some scopes that do and some scopes that don't. Those that do tend to stay around 10X. Those that don't get blurry, don't always stay at that level.

depends on what im shooting at .. for paper i use max zoom so i can see my hits .. a cheap scope will have terrible clarity and eyebox at high zoom, i wouldnt go more than 9X on a cheap scope if you want it to look decent and a bigger objective tends to help, a little known gem is a utg 3-9X50 .. thats a decent scope for hunting anyway, reticle isnt the best but its fast on target and clear .. lol 200 .. my assesment is 'if' you have 200 yards to shoot something get the 223 or 17 out and quit farting around with a bb gun spending 5X's as much trying to make it do something ....

Parallax adjustment setting is right and still blurry= usually a problem with optics=usually "cheaper" optics do not work good past fifty yards....

So then most all optics work good at short ranges,but when power is cranked up they do not have the quality=quality costs money.

For me 10yds to 15yds. up to 7x ,then 25 to 50 yds. 12x then 100yds18 to 24 x..

The point I was trying to make is this,better quality scopes can " see" better with less power,a clearer view makes it easier for you to see .

There are plenty of old known brands of scopes that work better than the newer Chinese made scopes and they are lighter and bought used cost about the same..

All optics have a hierarchy,the nicer the nice the higher the price,this is because there are more steps to takes to get them better,the type of glass and the coatings are but a few.

A cheaper scope can work at shorter distance,but when shooting long range or a higher power x said scope will become blurry.

IN optics the lens coatings are of tremendous importance and cheaper scopes do not have them.

One other point is I like fixed power scopes,they are usually lighter and cost less than the same one in variable power;That is because I have a set distance I use for the fixed power.....no reason you can't use a variable power for the same reason....

Did not mean to blab so much,just some things I have learned for me....

Well, let me help out Odoyle here:

Not all cheap scopes have bad glass at higher magnifications.

The example that our inhouse scope expert always gives is the Alpha6 4.5-27x50 SFP.

Do a search on posts on that scope here (posts older than a 2 weeks since that is when Odoyle has left us to help with the upstart of a new airgun forum).

Some of the newer Chinese scopes I keep hearing are not like the older junky ones — they really have upped their game, it seems.

Matthias

I see people are zooming at their max. Doesnt it get blurry? I have a mtc scope, paid $500. Not cheap $50 scope on ebay. So why is my scope blurry at 18 zoom? Which is its max zoom.

If its blurry then your parallax adjustment is off. Dont use the numbers on it, just turn until it becomes clear. Then turn your eyepiece (crosshairs) adjustment until they are clear. 

If its still blurry and you cant get it clear with parallax adjustment, your scope is broken. 

Hello --

At 100 yards last weekend used a Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire 3-9x40, maxed to 9x, in some stupidly LOW rings. Struggle to get a good sight through the glass. New scope was still in transit. 

Two big blobs are holds to keep the 1" red circle intact. Stuck a couple in center and then called it a day. Just a plinking day, try out the new rifle.

IMG_9263.1620166436.JPG

I always zoom out to maximum (usually 24X ~ 27X). Just today i shot my Impact at 100 yards with my Crimson Trace Series 2 6-24 scope at 24X. It was perfectly clear. My Athlons are also all (6 of them between Powder Burners and Air Rifles) clear at maximum zoom. What i do find is that not all my scopes are parfocal at each zoom level. In other words, a sight picture is in perfect focus at say, 10X, but when zoomed to 24 X it needs the parallax wheel adjusted to still be perfectly in focus. Thus the focus changes at any given distance when the zoom ring is turned significantly. Thus I have to refocus via the parallax wheel when I change zoom. Note that this has nothing to do with the reticle being in focus. This is usually a set and forget thing done the first time I use the scope.

Chris