How much would I charge?

I told a friend today, that I was out and about shooting Prairie Dogs, when he said something along the lines of, "You should be charging money for that... ", which made me wonder!? If I were to charge money for doing some pest control, how much would I charge? Would it be per hour, per head? I have no clue.

I am sure that someone here is making a few extra bucks by doing this "for a living", so I decided to just ask. : )

thanks,

Kmd

I think it depends on where you are at,
In my neck of the woods you pay them, 200 dollars a day per gun for Prairie Dogs,
I called one place here in west Texas and the guy I talked to , I said I will use a pellet gun is it cheaper?
He said I do not care if you use a sling shot its 200 dollars per day, per person..
I tried going to the local feed stores for FREE pest control, I got nothing,
Mike

Not sure about Prairie Dogs but for the front pair of Gopher feet we could get 1.50 up to 3.50 a pair from the township/county but that was years ago, don't think a pair of prairie dog feet wouldn't be much different. I would imagine it would depend on how bad they are on the owners property and if they have cattle or horses on the property they might pay more,just a thought but you might want to ask someone from the county or township if they are paying anything for them, kinda like a bounty I guess.

"iride"I think it depends on where you are at,
In my neck of the woods you pay them, 200 dollars a day per gun for Prairie Dogs,
I called one place here in west Texas and the guy I talked to , I said I will use a pellet gun is it cheaper?
He said I do not care if you use a sling shot its 200 dollars per day, per person..
I tried going to the local feed stores for FREE pest control, I got nothing,
Mike
When I first read your post, it made no sense to me. Why would you pay someone to take care of their problem. LOL. I finally got it though. Anyhow. The scenario you are describing is a bit different though. Someone owns a huge piece of land with a million prairie dogs on it. Not sure if he wants to get rid of the animals or not, but he figured out a way to catch two birds with one stone. Instead of hiring someone to kill the animals, he found someone to pay him, to get permission to hunt the animals. Smart. : )

"Imold"Not sure about Prairie Dogs but for the front pair of Gopher feet we could get 1.50 up to 3.50 a pair from the township/county but that was years ago, don't think a pair of prairie dog feet wouldn't be much different. I would imagine it would depend on how bad they are on the owners property and if they have cattle or horses on the property they might pay more,just a thought but you might want to ask someone from the county or township if they are paying anything for them, kinda like a bounty I guess.
I am talking about private home owners. I live in an area where people own really expensive homes. Most of them probably do not like to see their lawns all chewed up by some prairie dogs, or what not... 😊. So the question is, how much would/could/should one charge them to get rid of critters that ruin their lawn???

Anyhow. Good idea about asking the city/ county if these is a bounty on these animals. I know they pay $50 bucks for the head of a coyote...

You probably live in a good place, if there's a bounty on coyotes. I'm betting there's no bounty, but no restriction either, if you have permission, and if the pellets don't leave the property.

I think you should charge just enough to cover air and pellets. Be a good neighbor, let the word spread, and maybe you just won't ever run out of a place to pest. 

Make sure it's legal first though, or you'd just be walking into a trap, when the word eventually got to a cop or game warden. 

Ranchers and farmers really stand a lot to lose from these varmints. I don't know how much it costs when a steer or horse breaks it's leg from stepping in a hole, but I bet it is hundreds of dollars, just for the vet bill. 

"Smaug"You probably live in a good place, if there's a bounty on coyotes. I'm betting there's no bounty, but no restriction either, if you have permission, and if the pellets don't leave the property.

I think you should charge just enough to cover air and pellets. Be a good neighbor, let the word spread, and maybe you just won't ever run out of a place to pest. 

Make sure it's legal first though, or you'd just be walking into a trap, when the word eventually got to a cop or game warden. 

Ranchers and farmers really stand a lot to lose from these varmints. I don't know how much it costs when a steer or horse breaks it's leg from stepping in a hole, but I bet it is hundreds of dollars, just for the vet bill. 

Wyshadow and I have hunted a ranch that lost a Bull costing $3,000.00 and a year without new calves resulting in thousands of lost revenue. word is getting out as Mena wiped out a colony. But, ranchers are paying people to plow the holes over (while killing the prairie dogs at the same time) which makes it harder to recolonize the area. We are happy to do it for free. Getting reimbursed for the cost to replace the pellets would certainly be welcome!

You might just asked them how much would they pay to get rid of the prairie dogs. Once you have a reputation (hopefully a good one), you could raise your fee. Might be a good idea to do a few homes for free and ask them to be a reference. Just a thought.
Doc

We hunted and trapped gophers on farmers land but back then the township or county would pay us per pair of front feet but with the dog problem I think some land owners would pay 3 bucks a dog,that sounds pretty reasonable not to walk out in the yard and brake a ankle or leg plus if they have horses or even cattle they can't afford to lose a animal to a broken leg.
Put a add in the local paper or Craigslist and see what kind of feedback you get.

Go carefully into the world of paid shooting. You would need a business license and should be bonded and insured. Pest control companies may be able to give you advice on who to talk to or they may see you as a threat and take steps to hinder you.

When you charge $$$, you become a business. I would prefer to keep it on the amateurs level. Provide a service to them in exchange for access to their area. I am looking I to getting bonded and insured, just to make it easier to get access from land owners. My home owners insurance does cover me, but as a land owner myself, I would rather have upfront coverage.

You got a good point there Jim, I guess a person could do a barter of some sort like mentioned above,we have farmers exchange huntingland privlages in exchange for thinning out their yote problems around here, just don't take out that big buck on their property if they let you hunt because more then likely they have probably been watching it for years and are just waiting to take it down after its hit its prime.

"Smaug"You probably live in a good place, if there's a bounty on coyotes. I'm betting there's no bounty, but no restriction either, if you have permission, and if the pellets don't leave the property.

I live in a good area... : )

I spoke to the wildlife department and they said that even though right now the "hunting" season for prairie dogs is over, you can still "hunt" them as long they are considered a nuisance. And they are, ha ha. Pellets would never ever leave the property. 

I feel the same way. As long I have a place where I can legally shot them, I am happy. No need to make any money with this. I don't even want to get paid or even have someone pay me for my air and pellets. However. People here are rich, spoiled assholes. If you do not charge them, they treat you even worse, than they already do. You will just be a total loser to them. If you know what I mean?! Kinda like Lamborghini parts. If the Carbon Fiber tank lid would cost $100 bucks instead of $600, no one would buy it. : )

Thanks,

Kmd

"Imold"
We hunted and trapped gophers on farmers land but back then the township or county would pay us per pair of front feet but with the dog problem I think some land owners would pay 3 bucks a dog,that sounds pretty reasonable not to walk out in the yard and brake a ankle or leg plus if they have horses or even cattle they can't afford to lose a animal to a broken leg.
Put a add in the local paper or Craigslist and see what kind of feedback you get.
I like the idea of putting up a local ad! Thanks for the tip!

"gorgata"i shoot at a farm not to far form me and i thought the same thing but i got lucky the farmer said how much dose it cost for pellets ill cover that and he will pay me by weight lol i replied happily cover the pellets and let me shoot freely on your land I'm not to worried about the rest,
I hear you. Kinda feel the same way. Knowing that you can just go shooting, and not having to worry about anything, is priceless. : )

"JimNM"Go carefully into the world of paid shooting. You would need a business license and should be bonded and insured. Pest control companies may be able to give you advice on who to talk to or they may see you as a threat and take steps to hinder you.

When you charge $$$, you become a business. I would prefer to keep it on the amateurs level. Provide a service to them in exchange for access to their area. I am looking I to getting bonded and insured, just to make it easier to get access from land owners. My home owners insurance does cover me, but as a land owner myself, I would rather have upfront coverage.
Very good advice about becoming a "professional" (I should say, doing it professionally for money). I already thought about that as well. Nonetheless, glad you brought it up to though. : )