• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How much work to hand pump PCP

Hello, All

Looking at getting a Benjamin Marauder Semi-Auto PCP Air Rifle from PA, first experience with PCP, how much work is it to use the hand pump? I see compressors on Amazon in the 300-500 range, carbon fiber tanks, etc. Like to start out least expensive option, but hard to believe a hand pump will fill these things up. 

Thanks--

Al

If you are relatively young and reasonably fit and weigh over 200 pounds the $51.99 Wal-Mart Chinese hand pump is doable.

I find it noticeably easier to pump than my Hills and FX and other brands of hand pumps.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Pressure-Airgun-PCP-Pump-Hand-Pump-3-Stage-Air-Rifle-4500-Psi-Pistol-Charging/191201170

IF you are the NAME BRAND and YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IN LIFE mentality kinda guy then feel free to pay 2 to 3 times more for the same pump with a name brand label on it instead.

If you are relatively young and reasonably fit and weigh over 200 pounds the $51.99 Wal-Mart Chinese hand pump is doable.

I find it noticeably easier to pump than my Hills and FX and other brands of hand pumps.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Pressure-Airgun-PCP-Pump-Hand-Pump-3-Stage-Air-Rifle-4500-Psi-Pistol-Charging/191201170

IF you are the NAME BRAND and YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IN LIFE mentality kinda guy then feel free to pay 2 to 3 times more for the same pump with a name brand label on it instead.

LOL hilarious 

This is the exact same one I have and works well. I’m only 160 pounds and the pumping is relatively easy

I have a Chinese Hand pump and can pump up to 3000 psi without too much of problem. I’m 62 years old and not near as good a shape as I was just 15 years ago. I can use the exercise anyway. I wouldn’t want to pump much more PSI than that though. Now if you have a rifle that doesn’t have a high shot count and you shoot a lot,Then I don’t know if you would want to hand pump much then.

I used to fill my Mrod with a handpump, no problem, and I am considered an old fart in some circles🤔. My Mrod from the factory had a sweet spot of approximately 2700 to 2000 psi, so didn’t need to pump to 3000. I have since tuned it to have a sweet spot from appx 2300 to 1800. Not sure about the tuning in the semi auto Mrod, but a chrono would be a good next investment right after your hand pump purchase!

Definitely get a hand pump. It will make you appreciate a compressor so much more. If you go straight to the compressor or scuba tank, you don't realize how awesome those things are.

Honestly, hand pumping a 1720 or Mar 177 is pretty easy. Anything with a smallish air tank and 3000 PSI. A Marauder is a little more work, but not terrible. An Avenger or anything with a big tank or 4500 capacity will have you reading the fine print on your life insurance.

, but a chrono would be a good next investment right after your hand pump purchase!

I didn't mention that I have a LabRadar, and a Chrony Beta, so I'm pretty set there. Curious how the LabRadar works with a air gun.

Thanks for all the tips

Well yes you are chronographically blessed, so maybe trade the Crony Beta for a handpump! I have used a LabRadar a few times with airguns and they work just fine, lots of capability to help in determining BC’s as I am sure you know.

2 points of view for you: I had a Hill MK3 pump; the Hatsan at 44 has 190CC tube. Shoot just until the PSI drops off the regulator and start pumping. From off the reg to "full" for me was about 35 strokes; very easy by most standards. My .25 cal Cricket with a much larger tube and more PSI...no thanks. The Benji should pump about like the Hatsan above; your milage may vary. 

There is a difference you know?

A three stage pump will have 1'st and 3'rd stage on the down stroke and second stage on the up stroke. Easier to pull up than to push down where body weight comes to your advantage.

A 4 stage pump will have two stages on the up and down stroke and be equal difficult to pulll up and push down. Not/less good unless your'e "Arnold".

But in all fairness: Unless your'e an excercise "freak" hand pumping will grow old way soon. But is sweat, expreme heartrate and what not is your pleasure, then please go on and use a hand pump for good.

For the rest of us old/lazy gits, we'd rather shoot that work out so compresed air for us all.

I think it depends on your application. If you shoot a lot, you will want a tank or a compressor. I used a hand pump for first 9 years or so. I had a Maurader that I mostly used for squirrel hunting. I would fill it before a hunt and I was fine for the day. The tank on the Maurader and my Huntsman are small. No problem to pump. When I started doing more target practice and went through 3 or 4 fills a day, pumping was an inconvenience. I bought a Yong Heng. It will fill my Huntsman in a couple minutes. I paid $235 for the Yong Heng. For just filling the rifle, I cool it with a quart of water. You don't need 5 gallon bucket unless you fill tanks. Since I recently paid $200 for a Hill pump, the $235 for the compressor seems like the better deal. Granted the pump works without electricity.

John