• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How much to dispatch a Skunk

From watching some of the yahoo edgun guy, he found that a vitals shot of the heart causes the least spray from the skunk. I’ve never had one venture into my yard, and unfortunately I think my dogs would find it first. 🤣

I’ve killed a lot of raccoons with a 22 18gr with 30 fpe, body and head. And those were as big or bigger than a skunk. Typically I shot them at 30 yards.

IMG_2555.jpeg

Reactions: HogKiller
I have my yearly skunk, it needs to go, my question is how much gun, I can lob a .25 33.95 gr. pellet at it at about 900fps Or a 21 gr. slug. Of course I have to see it first but I've got two night vision scopes so I may get lucky.
I would not shoot a skunk any where near my house with something that would not completely wreck it's nervous system instantly, powder burner territory with varmint rounds. When I have a skunk make a home around my home I have wasted them with PB's from the front deck with thermal, never would I use anything low powered. The times when they don't quickly give me an opportunity, like two days at most, I just trap them. Only two ways to make sure they don't spray, destroy nervous system instantly with high power PB(there may be a drop of leakage, no spray), live trap them and dispatch in complete safety. PM me if you want to know how to live trap and dispatch with no chance of spray.

I have my yearly skunk, it needs to go, my question is how much gun, I can lob a .25 33.95 gr. pellet at it at about 900fps Or a 21 gr. slug. Of course I have to see it first but I've got two night vision scopes so I may get lucky.
@HogKiller .25 JSB King Heavy or King Heavy Mark II pellets will do it. I’ve put down raccoon, armadillos, and beaver with that caliber, pellet, and velocity range. A skunk will fall.

No experience other than shooting other critters. I would go for a heart/lung shot to avoid it spraying.
It doesn't excite the nervous system like a head shot does.
And exciting a skunk is a good way to make it spray.
Hit it in the chest, I bet it runs as fast and far as it can not looking back to spray. Depending on the wound size it shouldn't be too far.

Ohmagerd they spray almost every time. Lol. Last one i took a domeshot from 40yds through the cage mesh, that was as far away as i could get and still make the shot. I popped the melon first shot, and immediately tasted it. It was the worst to date for me, made me gag immediately and i usually ki da like a skunk road smell. The kicker was it was in the Summer with the windows open so everyone in the house got to taste it also.

No experience other than shooting other critters. I would go for a heart/lung shot to avoid it spraying.
It doesn't excite the nervous system like a head shot does.
And exciting a skunk is a good way to make it spray.
Hit it in the chest, I bet it runs as fast and far as it can not looking back to spray. Depending on the wound size it shouldn't be too far.
Problem is my yard is almost fully enclosed except for some wrought iron fencing.

Here is how it is done with a PB. I wouldn't try that with an air rifle.

Anything to the head or lungs from with just 12 FPE 0.177 would be a 1 shot kill. Killing them is the easy part. Not having a smelly mess, isn't.

Well, I do have a 17HMR but....I'm trying to avoid LEO's coming around. I suppose a 300BLK subsonic might work, shame I don't have a suppressor for it.