How Much Pellet Lube?

This is what I've been doing.... I use about one squirt from the Baristol bottle in the plastic baggie. Then roll them around in the bag for a minute or two then lay them out on a paper towel overnight. YMMV
That is also what I do, plus rilling an other paper towel on top of the pellets to get more excess off

I use 100% silicone and only use a very very light amount , ........." using anything but silicone might dammage o rings and could leave a film in your barrel that could make it rust faster " .........and ......"wax or oil will burn or ignite under presure"
Well, both of these statements are not quite true,

…wax or oil will burn or ignite under presure
Both your statements aren't true.

for example Ballistol, Slick 50 are not silicone and do NOT damage O-rings not make your barrel rust.

...and olso the 3rd one isn't true either ;)
@larry brown: What AirArcher66 is saying is that it’s not pressure itself that will ignite wax or oil. But HEAT will, and that comes as a RESULT of a rapid INCREASE in pressure. (There is a fine nuance here in what is cause and effect…) The sudden rapid increase of pressure generates an enormous heat, and that is what happens on the compression stroke of a springer or gasram. (The ignition as a result of this is the so called “dieseling” effect)

With a PCP the air propelling the pellet or slug IS ALREADY under a high pressure when the trigger is pulled, (i.e. the build up of pressure was already accomplished when filling the airtube or bottle!) so there is really not much (if at all) heat generated during the shot itself. And thus no ignition With PCPs.

a pellet or slug will generate heat has it is pushed down the barrel I dont no how much but with any friction there will be heat
lets be real, OK, the pellet going down the barrel does NOT produce enough heat to cause dieseling ie: self combustion

each oil has a flash point rated in degrees of temperature not in psi or bars,, check the msds, safety data sheets for flash points
rapid compression will create a rise in temperature that dissipates when the compression stops but the pressure remains steady

when I first got my HW50 springer I tried some pellets out, that, BANG, dieseled, I realized that they were lubed with FP-10, then I tried some lubed with my Coltri compressor oil and no bang,, the FP-10 is a hydro carbon based synthetic while the compressor oil was a di-ester based oil, they have different flash points

nothing I have lubed my pellets with to date have caused a dieseling in my PCPs,
your pellet going down the barrel , creating heat is an unsubstantiated worry.

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66