• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other How much investing in accessories and parts to "upgrade" your pcp do you do?

Dedicated FX shooter. M3, Maverick and Panthera.
All guns bone stock except the moderator. Sighting systems do not count because they don‘t come stock with them.
They don’t need anything when you buy them for what they are, not what you “think” you can with them. They shoot just fine without all the bells and whistles.

Well I like to learn how a thing works so I'm prone to taking apart and modding things. Because of that behavior I bought 2 of the most budget friendly PCP's, a Notos and an Avenger. I figure it would hurt less to screw up a cheap gun until I know what I'm doing. And once I'm comfy working on them, I will think about a high end gun.

The Avenger came first, mostly as a gateway gun to make sure I was on a path I want to be on. (Newsflash, I am!)
I have added two Black Arts Designs barrel bands(one for the stock Avenger and one for the bullpup) to stop the movement of the barrel because I'm prone to grabbing any gun by the barrel when heading out the door(old habits die hard). In the case of the Avenger grabbing the barrel and air tube together can cause flex and a POI change. With the 2 bands it's locked in place and I can man handle it as I run out the door to shoot a squirrel in my fruit trees.

The Avenger will get modded more than accessorized. It's up for surgery - opening all the ports to let it breathe and I would like to make a 90º plenum that hides in the wood stock. The goal is the same power from a lower reg pressure and hopefully a more efficient gun so I get more shots from a fill.

The Notos came second but got torn apart first because 1) it's cheaper, 2) I can replace it easily if I break it, and 3) I already had the Avenger dialed for hunting.
So far I've added a gauge block/plenum and a 3D printed moderator. So I've spent another $100 on my $250 gun. :ROFLMAO:
My goal was to raise available power, I went from an average in the mid to high 700FPS to low to mid 800FPS.
I also knocked off some dB's with the moderator.

I do look forward to a top of the line PCP that is dialed from the factory. I only wish it were easier to handle some of them first before buying.
Yeah Amos,
I worked my up with QB78/QB79's, BAM B50/51's and Hatsan's AT44-10's before moving up to a BSA R10 and then RAW's.
Unless you're an Engineer, it's the only reasonable way to go.

Also, if this discussion involves HOW Much you have INVESTED in Upgrading your PCP.....
Well the tools of trade should be included......
A nice lathe, Not a large one(No Room) But accurate and it can do threading.....
EMCO Compact 5
Elevationknob11.jpg

Also a small Taig CNC Mill... to do everything Else....
enclosure5.jpg

BTW I am an Engineer...(Computer-Electronic)

Last edited:
AS A HOBBY .... and being able to fabricate, do complex mechanical work, ALL of my stuff is modified to some degree to a point of being excessive compulsive :LOL:
Scott,
Us want-to-be's, need excessive compulsive .... trailblazers like YOU to follow/copy (y).
Thank You ..... :)

Also, if this discussion involves HOW Much you have INVESTED in Upgrading your PCP.....
Well the tools of trade should be included......
A nice lathe, Not a large one(No Room) But accurate and it can do threading.....
EMCO Compact 5
Elevationknob11.jpg

Also a small Taig CNC Mill... to do everything Else....
enclosure5.jpg
Geez Varminter,
I only have a inexpensive Harbor Freight 7"x14" lathe, just enough quality to get by. I'm constantly tweaking it to maintain accuracy.
I always wanted a Mill, but questioned how much I'd use it ..... and thought I might go above my skill level?

Geez Varminter,
I only have a inexpensive Harbor Freight 7"x14" lathe, just enough quality to get by. I'm constantly tweaking it to maintain accuracy.
I always wanted a Mill, but questioned how much I'd use it ..... and thought I might go above my skill level?
Hey SpiralGroove....
I just comes down to how much incentive do have to make things work HOW you LIKE!!
Cutting a slot into a piece of titanium to make my Ball-Bearing supported cocking Handle for my M3
20221110_145122.jpg

20221110_144848.jpg

Or how about a custom Banjo fitting for a QF on one of my Rapids
20150515_122233.jpg

image_4.jpg

20150607_091816.jpg

Rapid / RAW .... How about a fully adjustable trigger arm. Finger blade or button ;)
Forward or back, side to side or up / down, face on finger rotates top to bottom or side to side.
A One Off done years ago, no blue print, just knew what i wanted so went after it and built it.

DSCF9712.JPG

DSCF9709.JPG

DSCF9714.JPG

Or assemble & fabricate where required a model of a specific air rifle you cannot purchase ?

Gen 2 Marauder ... well sorta being the ONLY parts of original rifle is the Stock, Trigger group & part of the air tube o_O
Yup a .30 cal ( 100 fpe ) Beast of a rifle. Still own it, shoots fantastic.

Yes obsessive to the max !!

DSCF0859.JPG

Rapid / RAW .... How about a fully adjustable trigger arm. Finger blade or button ;)
Forward or back, side to side or up / down, face on finger rotates top to bottom or side to side.
I have done the same mod.....
Here is my version... using an Anschutz Trigger blade.....
2012-02-14_14-59-45_679.jpg

2012-02-15_13-31-45_250.jpg

Also to save time, I threadmilll the 3mm adjustment screw holes on my CNC Mill..

Mark4-tirg2.jpg

Mark4-tirg1.jpg

Currently test an anschutz trigger blade...
20210909_162730.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind.....Connection you make in Life...
I have know several Gunsmith through the years...
One became a good friend. I help him out in his gunshop during the summers and once I graduate from College.
These gunsmiths gave me the basic Love of machining and how to do it
Then there is the old forum I help run, AirgunAdvice
This where I made good friendships with several Machinist... which I refer to then fondly as the Masters of Metal!!
One is Chip Smith... When he moved to AZ, he setup a serious CNC machine shop.
With some Serious Hass CNC Machine centers, he has the skills to make anything!!!
Chip has guided me in getting solid equipment for my Man Cave.
So just take it as comes.... You will get to where you want to Be in time!!

There's no reason to spend money on expensive accessories if you can give a wise use to that money...... Buying another PCP !!!
If I bought another, it would be taken apart within a week.
There is just too many folks on the GTA/AGN with improvements that only make sense to incorporate (y).

As a general rule I like to have two magazines for each rifle.

No additional accessories.
Hey Emu,
That shows tremendous restraint .... you're a better man than me .

Last edited:
Reactions: Emu
I have always had an interest in engineering and creating things. I'm 35 now, but still want to go to college again for this specifically. (I only went to trade school, highschool was not a good time, and I was not prepared for college when I finished) I'm also pretty big into hotrodding as well. There is a machine shop downtown here that has classes and is open to the public. Sadly I am always working and busy with family. So, I have not even been. I very badly want to, though.

Years ago when the shop I worked for was transitioning to total CNC equipment I bought a manual mill and lathe (my thinking was I wanted to be able to do stuff at home someday when I retire) brought them home and set up ready to go .. i bet i haven't turned them on 5 times in the last 20 years..
when you've made you living as a toolmaker/machinist for the last 31 years the last thing I want to do when I get home is machine something (thats called burnt out in the trade and getting old). but I have them for when that magical day of retirement comes