• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other How much investing in accessories and parts to "upgrade" your pcp do you do?

I'm still customizing my marauder 7+ years later. I can't say I ever set a limit for mods/tinkering, or I'd only be limiting the guns potential. Maybe 1:1 cost of gun to cost for glass.

My goals are always to improve its form/function. I still have fun tinkering and am always stirring up new plans/ideas or borrowing them from others. I don't think I could enjoy shooting anything as much as my custom mrod.

-Matt

ive bought a couple of ldcs, mainly ive gotten fairly decent at smoothing up guns ports and triggers, just elbow grease ..ive put depingers in a couple of guns, put a cf bottle and reg on one. .. only one, a marauder, i fully modified, it was a significant gain in power and pretty expensive to do .. bottom line its what we do lol .. its fun ..

Here is a funny or perhaps crazy story about accessories. I strongly suspect that there is an FX Panthera in my near future. Already I have ordered a CARM single shot loader and a K&L under bottle arca rail. Don't have the Panthera yet, haven't actually even ordered one yet, but here I am buying those all important accessories. I may have an addictiono_O.
Kenny

P-rod the accessories are worth way more than the gun at this point

IMG_0087.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

Depends. Sometimes just a sight. Typically will give her a tune, port's, trigger, hammer/valve if she needs it, or if she hasn't already been tuned properly. Sometimes some upgrades. Always a moderator and adaptor if need be. Sometimes some new wood or re-shape or re-finish the furniture. Just really depends on the state of the gun and what I want to do with it.

Some have many times the original cost into parts or mods (not including optics). Others have less, just depending again on the state of the gun and what can actually be improved. If anything.

MANY...times these "new" parts AREN'T..."upgrades". They are just...new, or additional parts.
A stainless screw to replace a high grade carbon steel screw, isn't...an upgrade, it's just different. Well, I suppose if you are shooting at the ocean's edge maybe !
A stock color, or even design change..."isn't" an upgrade, it's just...different.
Etc., etc.

Mike

If you got more than one PCP gun, you find that some need more "stuff" than others.
My Gen 1 Marauder has some modest performance enhancing mods like a LW barrel, polymer hammer and SSG. I also have an aluminum trigger guard and RAW trigger blade, arguably bling, but not entirely. And now I've got it rigged with aperture sights. But the time I've spent working on it, tuning it, tinkering, has been my largest investment in it.
I can say, aside from glass, a moderator and a cheap picatinny rail extender, I haven't needed to put much more in the way of money into my Dreamline. Time spent tuning and monkeying around with it has been minimal. But to be fair, I've had the Mrod for about 9 years now and thus more opportunity to blow cash and time on it.
And then for my 1701P, I've only put a rear sight, brass safety stud and heirloom grips on it. No tinkering or tuning to speak of. Sight in and just shoot it.

Reactions: cavedweller
Accessories and customization is something that a lot of us do, whether for accuracy, bling, hobby, power, rigidity, shot count, etc. How much additional funds and or parts have you invested in the original off-the-shelf pcp? And, what was the achievement and or goal with the customization?
The only accessories I add, scope, rings and moderator… no backbones, bipod rail extenders, butt hooks, etc. My PCPs have been solid, “as is” right out the box. I believe an expensive, quality PCP should require no bolt ons other than a scope and moderator if needed.

Hey Guys,
For any decent PCP you have to get a pump, scope, rings, moderator and maybe bi-pop or bubble level as basic, must have items.
I mean, why buy the gun if you're not going to equip it properly :unsure: ?

However, I usually go overboard in tuning or maybe refinishing the (wood) stock, changing out butt pads, barrels, modifying the valve, regulator, transfer port, adding a SSG or additional plenum, modding triggers, enhancing the CFT on barrels, prepping/polishing the barrel...ect.

I usually do this as I just like to work on guns, making them better ........... My Wife just shakes her head --> misunderstanding my need to make, improve or fix things. I think it's my German genes speaking ...... Tinker young man or Old Man:p.

Well I like to learn how a thing works so I'm prone to taking apart and modding things. Because of that behavior I bought 2 of the most budget friendly PCP's, a Notos and an Avenger. I figure it would hurt less to screw up a cheap gun until I know what I'm doing. And once I'm comfy working on them, I will think about a high end gun.

The Avenger came first, mostly as a gateway gun to make sure I was on a path I want to be on. (Newsflash, I am!)
I have added two Black Arts Designs barrel bands(one for the stock Avenger and one for the bullpup) to stop the movement of the barrel because I'm prone to grabbing any gun by the barrel when heading out the door(old habits die hard). In the case of the Avenger grabbing the barrel and air tube together can cause flex and a POI change. With the 2 bands it's locked in place and I can man handle it as I run out the door to shoot a squirrel in my fruit trees.

The Avenger will get modded more than accessorized. It's up for surgery - opening all the ports to let it breathe and I would like to make a 90º plenum that hides in the wood stock. The goal is the same power from a lower reg pressure and hopefully a more efficient gun so I get more shots from a fill.

The Notos came second but got torn apart first because 1) it's cheaper, 2) I can replace it easily if I break it, and 3) I already had the Avenger dialed for hunting.
So far I've added a gauge block/plenum and a 3D printed moderator. So I've spent another $100 on my $250 gun. :ROFLMAO:
My goal was to raise available power, I went from an average in the mid to high 700FPS to low to mid 800FPS.
I also knocked off some dB's with the moderator.

I do look forward to a top of the line PCP that is dialed from the factory. I only wish it were easier to handle some of them first before buying.

OK... Here is a good example...
It started out as a Standard Theoben Rapid MKII.....
dr-bob1.jpg

Now today.... I have changed a few things.... Titanium Receiver , Titanium Airtube, LW Polygonal barrel and shroud....
Well let just say the only Stock parts are the Bolt and Hammer... Everything is has been changed....
95% of parts has been Custom Made. Either by myself or a very select few!!
Final%20ti-rapid.jpg

Last edited: