• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How much energy left at 218yds?

I would think if the energy were only 5 ft lbs it probably wouldn't penetrate through a 1/2" pine board. May penetrate half way through at the most. Probably less. Try it ! I would assume the slugs BC would be similar to a .22 cal 40gr rimfire projectile. I just read a Wikipedia piece that states the .22 long rifle still maintains about 500 fps at 400 yards. Granted, it's started off at apx 1250fps. Based on .22 Long Rifle ballistics losses I would say Bob has 43 to 45 ft lbs at 100 yards. Based on that 10-15 ft lbs at 218 yards sounds about right. That would easily penetrate a 1/2" pine board.

I would think if the energy were only 5 ft lbs it probably wouldn't penetrate through a 1/2" pine board. May penetrate half way through at the most. Probably less. Try it ! I would assume the slugs BC would be similar to a .22 cal 40gr rimfire projectile. I just read a Wikipedia piece that states the .22 long rifle still maintains about 500 fps at 400 yards. Granted, it's started off at apx 1250fps. Based on .22 Long Rifle ballistics losses I would say Bob has 43 to 45 ft lbs at 100 yards. Based on that 10-15 ft lbs at 218 yards sounds about right. That would easily penetrate a 1/2" pine board.

Your'e wrong. Here's .22 LR Ballistic Chart. Look at energy left at 200 yards....in this case it would be above 40 ft lbs, not 10-15. 

https://www.mcarbo.com/22LR-Ballistics-Chart

Your'e wrong. Here's .22 LR Ballistic Chart. Look at energy left at 200 yards....in this case it would be above 40 ft lbs, not 10-15. 

https://www.mcarbo.com/22LR-Ballistics-Chart

The 10-15 ft lb figure I gave was NOT based on a starting velocity of 1250fps. It's based on Bob's muzzle velocity of 863 fps. That being the case, there is no way it would be above 40 ft lbs at 200 yards. Let alone 218 yards. I wasn't saying the .22 LR only had 10-15 ft lbs at 200 yards ! The fact that I said the 22LR is still moving at 500 fps at 400 yards clearly shows my 10-15 figure was not about the .22 LR High Velocity.

Looking at the ballistic chart link you gave the 22 LR has apx. 70% velocity retention at 200 yards. Based on that ( and assuming similarity in ballistic coefficient between Bob's slug and the 40 gr LR solid bullet) could we assume Bob's slug would be right around 600 fps at 200 yards ? So at 218 yards maybe around 550 fps ? Or 26.9 ft lbs. Just a guess based on ratio of loss.

1560274390_8480475975cffe5d6ae4af3.55839927_Screenshot_20190606-221835_1559874080389.jpg

Those who doubt the math and science of the ballistic tables won’t be satisfied with the chronograph readings either.

Au contraire ! The chrony proof would either substantiate, or refudiate, the ballistic tables. I would take the chrony numbers over any mathematical calculations. You wouldn't even have to do 200 yard tests. Just a 100 yard and 150 yard chronograph tests would convince me the ballistic charts are accurate if they were on par with chrony results.

Those who doubt the math and science of the ballistic tables won’t be satisfied with the chronograph readings either.

Au contraire ! The chrony proof would either substantiate, or refudiate, the ballistic tables. I would take the chrony numbers over any mathematical calculations. You wouldn't even have to do 200 yard tests. Just a 100 yard and 150 yard chronograph tests would convince me the ballistic charts are accurate if they were on par with chrony results.

Can you not understand that making the shot exactly as calculated proves the speed and energy. If not the bullet wouldn't reach that point. This is like 4th grade math.

Refute ✔️ Refudiate ✖️ unless you're Sarah Palin.

Can you not understand that making the shot exactly as calculated proves the speed and energy. If not the bullet wouldn't reach that point. This is like 4th grade math.

Refute
2714.svg
Refudiate
2716.svg
unless you're Sarah Palin.

I understand the concept of speed, trajectory, and energy but all I'm saying it would be interesting in comparing chrony data with on-paper data. Not hard to understand that is it ? Even Joe Bidden could understand that.

I understand the concept of speed, trajectory, and energy but all I'm saying it would be interesting in comparing chrony data with on-paper data. Not hard to understand that is it ? Even Joe Bidden could understand that.

At 200 yards the chronograph would have to match the calculation for the bullet to reach the chronograph... making your test absolutely pointless.

understand the concept of speed, trajectory, and energy but all I'm saying it would be interesting in comparing chrony data with on-paper data. Not hard to understand that is it ? Even Joe Bidden could understand that.

Please read 9below0's posts and ask yourself if you're not doing exactly what he did.

This really is as simple as if 2+2+1=5 then 5-2-2 must equal 1.

" Sorry for the tone "

No problem Bob ! Like I said, next time I'll read through the posts before I open my mouth. Or type in this case ! LOL !

Watched the video and all I can say is good job ! Well done ! I got a little nervous when you went for that bottom target. My luck, I would be looking at buying a new chronograph after a bullseye to the display screen. Your numbers are within 15 fps of the ballistic table. Amazing ! Thanks for taking the time to do it for us naysayers. LOL !

At 200 yards the chronograph would have to match the calculation for the bullet to reach the chronograph... making your test absolutely pointless.

Actually, the test that Bob did wasn't pointless. It just substantiated what was down on paper.