How much energy left at 218yds?

I read entire thread and most comments are wrong . I shot slugs for decades here is a rule of thumb give or take

distance retained energy

muzzle 100% retained energy

100 yards 85%

200 yards 70%

300 yd 57%

and so on , I have shot into gel , coyotes, and animals ,slugs can kill a pigeon beyone 500yd if u coud hit it , I dont get why the discussion ? a slug at 218 yd has more energy then a jsb at 50 yards end of story .

I think some people do not understand ballistics or judge by their own skills or trying to compare pellets to slugs you cant , pellets designed to fll on their face for saftey reasons , but you can still be deadly accurate close range where as a slug can fly flatter and retain energy .

LOU

☝️👌👊👏

Hi Shoot44 , I would like to say 1 thing , you made statement about millet with 140moa elevation 70 each way , what you not understanding is many of the Higher end scopes are designed to shoot the entire elevation of travel here is an example .

say USO b25 5x25 , when you zero and reset turrets you have entire 24 mils of adjustment , same with other tier 1 scopes , also many pcp guns have canted pic rails like edgun , taipan and others , so having adjustment is not hard ,

I have shot a airforce condor 900 yards with a coldshot , which is a canted like scope mount , so you cant say it cant be done , I am a ulr range shooter and today with powder burners people have surpassed 5000 yds , optics have come along ways , remember , people in this forum are shooting very close range in real world of ULR shooting here is designations

0-300 yd point bank range

300 to 500 short range

500 to 1000 mid range

1000 to 2000 long range

2000yd + ULR

here is some long range gear for ULR just so you know it can be done ,

this is called cold shot has 144 mils holdover or they have a moa version for 300moa

1559911418_16114565135cfa5bfadc36e9.41843554_MRAB-GEN-4-Rear-Iso.jpg

1559911418_13615272255cfa5bfaa5db55.06507051_taco.png
this is a taco mount like a periscope designed by a navy seal , he has confirmed hits out to 500yd , it is a unique unit goes on back of scope , and has ability to adjust 800 MOA ,

and then their is good scope bases for long range which are made for specific purpose to hit where u want to hit ,

hope this helps you understand When Bob said 218 yards this is nothing in the sceme of things , he doesnt need anything but a decient scope ,and his ability to shoot straight LOU,

Bob, just another angle from which you might analyze it…

Considering the extreme distance, the time of flight can perhaps be used to derive a fairly accurate BC and thus the terminal velocity and energy. You have it filmed and therefore have accurate timestamps for firing and impact.

Granted, there may be some slight error in pinpointing the start time. The time of flight starts as the projectile emerges from the muzzle. Prior to that, it spends some small amount of time accelerating. However I think if you use the sound of the muzzle blast, that would mark a pretty accurate start time. That’s because the muzzle blast represents the rapidly expanding air from the muzzle _after_ Elvis has left the building.

At the other end, the visual point of impact would mark an accurate end time.

Now you have a time of flight and can try massaging the BC in Chairgun until the time of flight matches, and then have a look at the resulting velocity at ~220 yards.

Dale listed it above. He makes the slugs, I'm pretty sure he knows what's up.

Stoti

When I checked the varmint knockers 40 grains he has posted .117 for a Bc

The BC that I posted was from my Wolverine 303 that I converted to a 22 calliber

it shoots the 40 grain at 935 fps at the muzzle the gun has a 1:18 twist and gave a 

.117 BC number , now Bob's gun has a 1:16 twist rate and will give a better BC number .

There is one thing that I do know and that is when your turning the turrets and clicking

for you elevation and hitting everything your aiming at whatever BC number you've entered 

is probably right . 

There is something that I've learned here on this thread and it is that a 1;16 twist rate gives a

BC number of .124 with the 40 grain . "Thanks Bob"

Trying to use a ballistic calculator with no knowledge of the projectiles ballistic coefficient is a real problem.

Bob, I’m guessing he learned a lot from this exchange. Perhaps others have learned the significance of BC as well. In all this is an informative topic and thread that was started due someone’s lack of knowledge.

No doubt that slugs are a game-changer.

Take a paper back book out to 200 and shoot a slug into it . See how much penetration. 

5 FLB would bounce off. No way to measure but it would give you relative energy estimates

Agree with this.

Or maybe take a 2”x6” SYP ( southern yellow pine) and shoot it at 218 yds. Then saw the board along the edge of the slug to see cross section. A picture is worth a thousand words. 

I shot my Dreamline into 2x8 a few days ago @33 yds and the pellet nearly blew out the back. I was shocked at the energy.