• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How much energy left at 218yds?

@9below0

Here is a post from Ernest Rowe the head mechanic at FX USA, the man who power tuned Bob_O's gun to make 70 fpe https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-impact-mkii-22-first-groups/page/3/#post-482280

Why do you think so many conspire against you? What would be the purpose?

There's this anti Brit feeling i get from the remarks, my view is that 40 fpe @ 218 yards is incorrect & the only way to prove it either way is to go through a chrony. 

I've been told I'm pompous, told to piss off & Bob has asked me leave after inviting me to this thread 😏 

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, no big issue but BC values aren't always correct. 

Whatever BC values say, the real proof is by using a chrony. 

My attitude is fine, i was invited on here by Bob but since I'm British some are just being anti due to me not being American by one saying I'm pompous. 

My opinion remains until i see differently.

I call it like I see it, you said "218y poi 5.2fpe amazing" ( condescending and arrogant) then it comes out that you used incorrect data for chairgun. Refuse to admit you made a mistake then move the goal post to Bob needs to prove that it makes 40fpe at 218.

That's where the pompous comes into play, I'm a North American but not from USA. Sheesh do you get anything right?

@9below0

Here is a post from Ernest Rowe the head mechanic at FX USA, the man who power tuned Bob_O's gun to make 70 fpe https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-impact-mkii-22-first-groups/page/3/#post-482280

There's this anti Brit feeling i get from the remarks, my view is that 40 fpe @ 218 yards is incorrect & the only way to prove it either way is to go through a chrony. 

I've been told I'm pompous, told to piss off & Bob has asked me leave after inviting me to this thread 😏 

My point is that Mr O'Connor calculated the shot in his software and the executed the shot striking his target as predicted in the software. This proves the BC beyond doubt. Everyone commenting in this thread has known Mr O'Connor to be an honest man who is very dedicated to his sport. So dedicated that he has about $5000 in the rig he's shooting. He hunts several farms and makes these shots regularly at known distances. The guys from South Africa are making shots at similar distance and you hear the bullet crack the birds on video. 5 fpe doesn't gut a bird or make a cracking sound on impact. It's all been spelled out.

@9below0

I've been told I'm pompous, told to piss off & Bob has asked me leave after inviting me to this thread
1f60f.svg

My point is that Mr O'Connor calculated the shot in his software and the executed the shot striking his target as predicted in the software. This proves the BC beyond doubt. Everyone commenting in this thread has known Mr O'Connor to be an honest man who is very dedicated to his sport. So dedicated that he has about $5000 in the rig he's shooting. He hunts several farms and makes these shots regularly at known distances. The guys from South Africa are making shots at similar distance and you hear the bullet crack the birds on video. 5 fpe doesn't gut a bird or make a cracking sound on impact. It's all been spelled out.

Only way is still to chrony the result @ 218 yards no matter what the slug BC value stats says. 

A thwack sound can be achieved with Sub 12fpe airguns, a guy in the UK regularly shoots. 25 cal @ 55 yards plus with a huge impact crack, the sound gives the impression of more power than sub 12ftlb.

Any caliber can create a crack sound on impact. 

I've answered this guy similarly on the youtube comments section and it's pretty much futile. Nevertheless I don't know when to shut up so...

Using the same chairgun app he used to start this argument, a 16gr jsb with proven (many times by many people, over a chronograph- including on Hard Air Mag's tested and published bc database) average GA bc of 0.310 at sea level shot at 863fps would have a retained energy of 4.8fpe at 218 yards. Apparently, nearly as much as Bob's bloody great 40 grain slug, eh?

Consider then that a 30gr Piledriver with a tested bc (again on HAM) of 0.83 would have a 218 yard residual fpe of 25.6fpe if GA profile is used and 25.1fpe if G1 is used on Chairgun.

So of course it's impossible to even dream a projectile launched at the same muzzle velocity, weighing 33% more and significantly more aerodynamically efficient in profile could possibly retain close to 40fpe at the same distance? Really?

Seriously this guy is a troll or ignorant to the point where it's incurable. Pay no attention.

1559935200_12264447745cfab8e0e60303.63399255_8B475CD0-430D-433B-8581-DC27F4527ED4.png
1559935201_20122805945cfab8e1b74c79.52968951_230154E4-9AD1-49F7-8FC4-2B83969548B3.png
1559935202_9058333255cfab8e27ceee5.74372852_1E37AFA8-2FA5-4CE5-8C43-F2D8182A5662.png

Only way is still to chrony the result @ 218 yards no matter what the slug BC value stats says.

No, it's not the only way. You seem to be intentionally ignoring the fact that he dials his range on the scope that is zeroed at 25yds I believe. If the BC were as low as you say his scope would run out of adjustment long before the target. Just as an example, if you calculate a 1 yard drop at 200 yards then dial up that distance and make the shot, you have proven the BC that you used in the calculation as accurately as possible. There is no room for argument, this is basic science.

No, it's not the only way. You seem to be intentionally ignoring the fact that he dials his range on the scope that is zeroed at 25yds I believe. If the BC were as low as you say his scope would run out of adjustment long before the target. Just as an example, if you calculate a 1 yard drop at 200 yards then dial up that distance and make the shot, you have proven the BC that you used in the calculation as accurately as possible. There is no room for argument, this is basic science.

I don't regard the BC values as being correct, thats my stance until i see diffetent.

Still means nothing, it's what a chrony would say @ 218 yards don't you think.

Me? I don’t care. I’ve shot enough to know your position on this is unreasonable. I’ve hit pigeons at 50 yards with a thirty four grain pellet 25 caliber pushing them about 900 FPS (cricket rifle power tuned) and had them fly off . If Bob dropped a pigeon at 218 yards I KNOW that he had PLENTY of impact . Unless that pigeon just happened to die of natural causes just as Bob shot there is WAY more then 5 FLB’s . How much? ENOUGH 

There are others who are proven experts I’ll trust what they have determined and while I can’t and don’t care to verify their results and calculations at least they are being reasonable .

Still means nothing, it's what a chrony would say @ 218 yards don't you think.

Me? I don’t care. I’ve shot enough to know your position on this is unreasonable. I’ve hit pigeons at 50 yards with a thirty four grain pellet 25 caliber pushing them about 900 FPS (cricket rifle power tuned) and had them fly off . If Bob dropped a pigeon at 218 yards I KNOW that he had PLENTY of impact . Unless that pigeon just happened to die of natural causes just as Bob shot there is WAY more then 5 FLB’s . How much? ENOUGH 

There are others who are proven experts I’ll trust what they have determined and while I can’t and don’t care to verify their results and calculations at least they are being reasonable .

Neither do i care really, it was just a comment i made on YouTube which brought me onto this thread by invite, at the end of it all, accuracy counts more than power

Myself i go by visual proof not by any stats,seeing is believing as the saying goes. 

The truth is out there 😄 

I don't regard the BC values as being correct, thats my stance until i see diffetent.

Well, it looks like everyone here is correct then... you are an ignorant pompous ass. If he shot through a chronograph at 200 yds you'd come up with another stupid excuse.

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Well, it looks like everyone here is correct then... you are an ignorant pompous ass. If he shot through a chronograph at 200 yds you'd come up with another stupid excuse.

Oh here we go, pompous ass eh,grow up!

Its more like the blind leading the blind. 

Well someone do the chrony test then to shut me up 😉 

There you go. If you make the the shot based on your calculations and you do it consistently a REASONABLE assumption would be the calculations are correct.

I think the reasonable thing is to assume this guy can’t be reasoned with.

Oh here we go, pompous ass eh,grow up!

Its more like the blind leading the blind. 

Well someone do the chrony test then to shut me up 😉

I don't believe anything you say until you say it through a chronograph at 200 yds. Air doesn't exist because you can't see it... or you only breath through a chronograph at 200 yds?