• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How much energy left at 218yds?

1559887210_5297043575cf9fd6ab89367.01231295_06DD3C82-C1F4-48D2-B53E-FEC313346BB1.png

1f917.svg
very confusing. 

Something is not right yes I am getting 9 fpe more but with 1/2 the Bc and 6 grains less I am still producing more at the target somethings not adding up.

😃 Take the wind value to zero, see if that helps lol

When I checked the varmint knockers 40 grains he has posted .117 for a Bc

Stating a BC of 117 to me is just a marketing selling point, if a slug could retain so much energy, at such long distances,they would be banned from general sale here in the UK. 

A chrony test @ 218 yards would settle it. 

A 40g Slug would need to be tralling.at around 670 fps @ 218 yds with the BC figures quoted 😏 

Stating a BC of 117 to me is just a marketing selling point, if a slug could retain so much energy, at such long distances,they would be banned from general sale here in the UK. 

A chrony test @ 218 yards would settle it.

There's a trajectory validation feature in Strelok Pro, which allows a person to find their true velocity or BC.

Being I shot over the Chronograph, I knew my velocity was true. When I set up the profile, I started with a BC of .09. Upon telling Strelok the actual amount of elevation I used for a 200yd shot, it calculated a new BC of .124.

1559894510_11756123035cfa19eee83c52.37997969_Screenshot_20190607-040056.png

Maybe take a look at the AB 101 videos by Matt Dubber. It might help you understand how this all works.

To your last question, Yes.....that's what Strelok calculates and it's spot on. Not just for this slug but for all the VK slugs I've shot from my Crown and Impact.

In one of my recent videos from the range, I shot some 12" wide, 1/2" thick metal targets at 200yds.....you can see the plates move and the slug splatter on the ground. 

That's a lot of energy left over......I can't make this up. Most of my shooting is recorded through the scope. 

888ada1b-6d8f-49b6-ae06-f5fcfaead947

The 5 ftlb er has the wrong drag Setting. Ya wanna laugh? I had a supposed firearms expert try to tell me I should use wheel weights as I was going to buy his Lyman press, dies, molds, and asked about lead supply, pure lead. I explained why.

He basically calls me a liar. Can’t believe the drop of an airgun at 200-300 yards, and at 200! I’m still using pellets for that argument that it indeed can be done. I explain I prefer early Spring Summer morning when no wind; but I’ll shoot in 10-20 mph if field covered in fresh snow powder to see strikes. Anyway the joke between Shambozzle & I is I wonder if he’d bet EVERYTHING he owns against EVERYTHING I own on one shot at 300 yards. He gets to wear a vest. Now I would need a cold bore riser if sticking with JSB .25’s or Kodiak .22’s but if 31.9 RBT a 12”x12” square would NOT be hard to hit. I wonder if he’d take that bet, lol. I’d even use a paper target instead; but he’s so sure it’s impossible & I’m a crazy liar. 

I read entire thread and most comments are wrong . I shot slugs for decades here is a rule of thumb give or take

distance retained energy

muzzle 100% retained energy

100 yards 85%

200 yards 70%

300 yd 57%

and so on , I have shot into gel , coyotes, and animals ,slugs can kill a pigeon beyone 500yd if u coud hit it , I dont get why the discussion ? a slug at 218 yd has more energy then a jsb at 50 yards end of story .

I think some people do not understand ballistics or judge by their own skills or trying to compare pellets to slugs you cant , pellets designed to fll on their face for saftey reasons , but you can still be deadly accurate close range where as a slug can fly flatter and retain energy .

LOU