• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How much do used airguns depreciate per year?

If you look on my post I made today of the EXACT thing you’re asking about you will see your answer. I noticed you also made an almost identical post about the LCS full auto I posted about two weeks ago. I think you even asked a question in that post. I’m gonna need some type of compensation for using my post ideas😂😂😂 I’m messing with you I could care less if you post the same thing. Seriously though check out the post I made earlier and you’ll find your answer

I typically don't price items based on age. Most of my items get listed for 20% less than the current retail price. If the items are no longer available or technologically obsolete, then I'll increase the percent I take off the original retail price. One exception to my rule is custom, rare, highly sought after, or hard to find items.

I have a Gen 1 Impact. Probably worth half the price of a new on. Only 3 years old, but the improvements in the Impacts in 3 years is incredible. Probably not the case for something like a Daystate, or other more stable brands.

Joke:

• How do you make a small fortune in Airguns?
  • Answer, start with a large fortune.

It's an expensive hobby, I just accept that.

In the eyes of the people selling them, they don’t deprecate enough. That’s why I always buy new guns. Most PCP owners tweak their guns. Saving a couple bucks is not worth the risk of getting a gun from some ham fisted person that didn’t know what they were doing. I see it frequently where guys are trying to fix other people’s mistakes. That’s not an issue if you got it cheap enough. But that’s usually not the case. Buyers set the selling price of used stuff. As long as buyers pay too much, sellers will ask too much.

In the eyes of the people selling them, they don’t deprecate enough. That’s why I always buy new guns. Most PCP owners tweak their guns. Saving a couple bucks is not worth the risk of getting a gun from some ham fisted person that didn’t know what they were doing. I see it frequently where guys are trying to fix other people’s mistakes. That’s not an issue if you got it cheap enough. But that’s usually not the case. Buyers set the selling price of used stuff. As long as buyers pay too much, sellers will ask too much.

Here Here! Truth spoken here!

IMHO, unless it's a 40% to 50% discount over new, I'll pass. I bought a used Impact through AOA for $1500, and yes, there were a few "Tweaks" I had to undo (Broke my own rule on that one, learned a lesson). 

As an example, I just saw a gun in the classifieds that originally sold for $1100 two years ago. Now, it is for sale, used, for $935. That is a $15% discount for two years use, and no warranty. Looks like it's in MINT condition, but still, that nagging risk for $15% discount. Just can't do it.

I don't find most people willing to discount used equipment enough for me, so I buy very little used.

I have a Gen 1 Impact. Probably worth half the price of a new on. Only 3 years old, but the improvements in the Impacts in 3 years is incredible. Probably not the case for something like a Daystate, or other more stable brands.

Joke:

• How do you make a small fortune in Airguns?
  • Answer, start with a large fortune.

It's an expensive hobby, I just accept that.

does that mean the poor people cant play in your club?

Anyone can play, it just take some of us longer to fill the golf bag with guns for specific purposes. In 7 years, I've obtained 3 PCP's. The Marauder was #1, a Crosman 1701P was #2, then I saved for something like 2 and a half years for the Impact. Cheaped out and bought used (Won't do that again).

Just sayin, don't buy airguns expecting use, resell and make money. Unless you are a vendor for FX, Daystate, Edgun, Airforce, or another major player this hobby will cost you DEARLY!

Still cheaper than powder burners though. Son talked me into building an AR. So, going dirtbag cheap, poly 80% lower, cheap lower parts kit and cheap upper, still in it about $400, then it's $.30 to $.50 per round vs $.05 for pellets.

Anyone can play, just don't expect to resell and make money doing it.

There are some really good deals out there, but buying used without a warranty adds an element of risk to the transaction. If I was able to handle the gun before buying, no problem.

Refurbs are a bit different for me. You are buying from a vendor and usually there is a short warranty where you have time to check out the item. I picked up two refurbs a few years back, and they were perfect. The problem was it was a Scope combo pack. The Scopes had to be adjusted to the very limits of their capability, and I'll bet the original buyer didn't understand the scopes and how far they had to be adjusted or just didn't know how to adjust. Guns were both springers and worked great!

To me, I'll buy used or refurbs, but it all depends on the discount. 10% isn't enough. gotta be more for refurbs and a LOT more for used. And it may also depend on how much I want the item, how hard to find, etc. It's all a crap shoot

Having said all that, next gun will be NEW as I have yet to see a used one on the market.