How many shots, "pellets" does it take

for you to realize it is a good '"pellet" for your air gun or a bad match, and what do you realize first , the good or the bad?
For me it takes longer to put down the "bad" pellet.
Crazy, that even when the weights are the same and the same shape the different brands' of pellets can react so differently.
Kinda makes me think about women, ;)but pellets shouldn't have personalities,yet come to think about it ,it must be the proportion of the shape;).
Will looks like I actually have brought 2 questions into play,:rolleyes:so please forget the second example ,unless you desire not to.

• Haha
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
If I am going to try a new pellet I inspect the contents of the tin for bad skirts and remove them. Then start shooting and trying different tunes. I know whether they make the cut in less than half a tin. The parameters are pretty simple. Start @ 880 fps because every pellet that has shot well for me has been between 870 and 890 where they did their best. If that doesn’t work I will bump them to 900 and then down to 850. No improvement and they are done.
Right now I would be hard pressed to try something new because the FX domed pellets are shooting very well for me in 22 & 25.

When the wind is reasonable, I decide if a pellet/barrel/speed combo is good or bad typically within the first 20 shots. If that pellet is going somewhere it shouldnt (can't blame the wind, nor a yanked trigger) than it's not a good match.

In contrast, if there's a hole in the paper at wherever the crosshairs were when the shot broke, BINGO, good pellet to barrel match.

For me I would say 25- 50 shots I get an idea of how they may shoot. The next 50 will tell the tale.
But it seems different for each barrel.

Most of my shooting is @10m so low velocity is the norm. On my higher powered guns this usually gives me an idea of the potential out to 50 yards.

I should also note that 6 of mine have Walther barrels which I believe makes finding the right pellet easier.

In the past couple years I filter out the pellets which I will not touch again. I kept two size pellets in 22 and only one in 25 cals.
I can make a decision only reading the 5x20 shots - with my .25x700 Impact or 8x20 with my .22x600 Leshiy2
My typical go-nogo card, in this example I was testing resized MRD's from a Leshiy2 .22x600 barrel 4x20x2 shots @50 meters.
And, the barrel surprised me not fulling that day, I guess about 200 shots here on the paper.

20221106_134922.jpg

I know in 10 pellets if a new pellet will work for one of my guns. I've noticed that the extreme spread (ED) and standard deviation (SD) are far better for pellets that shoot well. If my ES is much above 5 fps for 10 shots then the pellet isn't going to give me good accuracy. I'm not sure it is a way to differentiate the absolute best pellet from merely good ones but it will filter out bad ones very effectively. No need to waste more time and pellets if I get a 20 ES or something for 10 shots. Good pellets give me a ES under 20 for long 30, 40, 50 shot strings.

I also prefer shooting 30 yard challenge targets to shooting groups. It isn't so dependent on individual shots. But I don't even shoot one if the ES is bad. I used to but those pellets never worked well.

I am shooting at 33 yds. Takes me less than 10 shots to see if pellets are good. For not-so-good pellets, I shoot them around < less than 30.
The crazy thing is sometimes the good pellets do not shoot as well the following day,I was not checking for wind, but will now.
I hate inconsistency, like is it me, or the pellets?
Some of my air guns are very consistent and some good shooters become problems. My HW50s is a problem child,.inconsistent,My R-9 and R-7 are very

consistent.Spingers, what a relationship you need with them.:rolleyes:
Most of my lower-power PCPs are consistent, especially the Crosman Target model pistols and rifles, they do have LW barrels (y)

I have learned that not the SD or ES makes the best pellet or slug. the POI does.
You need to shoot it farther distance you can comfortably handle, and groups of 4-5 possibly shot at least a hundred shots ... work on the speeds and dwell time until you find the tightest groups. You cannot do this in a basement or garage that is a ballpark only ... you need to have a long range for it.
When you satisfied with the groups, you will be surprised what is a SD and ES.