How many of you have hit a wall with airguns....

Take a break and don't come back until the mood strikes. It's a hobby, not a career (for most of us). I see people on this forum saying they shoot every day and I can't imagine doing that - I've had some streaks, but I don't shoot unless the mood strikes me. Right now it's been nearly two weeks, but that's really because our granddaughter is with us, and I am ready to shoot as soon as she is gone! (She's only three, or we'd have gone shooting together - another year or two...). Your motivation will return. If you've well and truly burnt yourself out it'll still come back, but slowly, and in a different form e.g. you may never want to compete again, but you might find new joy in hunting, or vice versa.

GsT

I’m still as consumed as ever as far as being my main hobby and shoot every day even if it’s just a few slugs out of the impact to prove it and myself for predator season come fall. 
I have hit a standstill as far as adding to my collection in terms of filling any voids. That’s not to say there aren’t a solid half dozen or more I’d like to own but I’d like to downsize from the modest half dozen I own now. Each has there own positive attributes but for ease of interchanging optics and really second nature knowing the gun I’d like multiples of the same eventually. I love my Veteran long and same for my Lelya but I’d almost rather have a long and compact of the same brand and two Impacts ready and waiting in different configurations.

I’ve hit the wall with this hobby few times, I just take a break for awhile, always come back eventually. I primarily like to hunt and do pesting with airguns. Do plink and do some target practice to, but usually that’s where I hit the wall- I do have few hobbies as well I’ll do when not in mood to shoot airguns. Usually my job consumes a lot of my time & typically only get to shoot on weekends, and not every weekend either. Take a break for awhile, put your guns back in the safe, they’ll be there when your ready for them. 

I have just recently, but not by my choice. The house next door to us recently sold, the new family that moved in cleared the woods behind their house, which is on the side of our yard that I shoot. I no longer have the buffer I had before, so the targets I have set up are clearly visible from their back porch, where before the clearing, they were pretty dense woods that prevented anyone from seeing or wandering anywhere near the targets. Right now it's just the Mom and 3 young kids living there, her husband is military and won't join them until he retires the end of the summer. I have met them, but only briefly. I do mow her front yard every other weeks since her husband isn't there and we have an HOA that can be a PITA. But, I have no idea how they feel about guns, so I have been refraining from any shooting when they are home. I am hoping once the husband gets home, we can get together and invite him to shoot, which may ease things and ultimately allow me to get back to shooting when I want too. But, until that happens, I'll just continue to shoot when I can and keep the peace with the new neighbors!

Well you can't be stuck to one hobby/addiction you should have several. I like building electric bikes and computers, and modding my MG Midget. Shooting powder burners when there is powder to burn is good and I haven't even used my reloading stuff yet. So have plenty that I can do even though I am a bit messed up physically. Don't limit yourself too much.

Biohazardman,

It sounds like we could be brothers from another mother. Air guns, electric bikes, powder burners. Throw a couple of motorcycles into the mix and we could be identical twins!😁

Fortunately for me the only wall I have currently hit relates to the purchasing of new guns. Having only become serious about them about last July, I have now completed my journey of buying, deciding if it is really right for me and how I want to shoot, selling some stuff off, and replacing it with something different. I now have my little collection of what I consider to be excellent guns, for different purposes or different moods. And I can now be very selective before I push that 'buy' button again.

Of course, as Vetmx pointed out above, much of this may also be industry related as the buying choices can be pretty slim these days.

I am still floored by the accuracy and ease of shooting of modern PCP air guns. And it still makes me chuckle as for the first time in my total shooting career I can see a fly land on a target set out at 35-40 yards and think to myself "I can get him..." Addiction.

I reflect back over the 15? years of "serious" air rifles. I spent a lot of time shooting solo and some occasional hunting. Soon the fun and challenge wore off as there didn't seem to be an incentive. 

it wasn't until I got involved in shooting as a sport. Shooting 10 meter then becoming active in field target. I enjoy being competitive and the camaraderie that goes along with it. Now a small "group" of us literally plan our shooting experiences months in advance. 
I leave in a couple of weeks for a two week long prairie dog hunt.
We are currently planning out our FT match trips. 
set goals, gather friends. Remember, the journey is the reward.

Our hobbies change over time, for many reasons. I've been involved in most all the shooting sports for over 50 years. I've sold my centerfire stuff, I have a $10K Perazzi clays gun that hasn't been shot in over 5 years, but it would cost at least 50% more to replace, so I'm hanging onto it. Got a drawer full of handguns, etc. 

I have a bad shoulder that makes any kind of heavy duty shooting difficult, but I try to shoot at least one of my air rifles every day, either in the yard, or at the gun club where I can take the dog. These are short sessions, and in the yard, sometimes not even a full magazine. But it's a nice diversion, and very appealing as an at-home option. 

NOT YET! Got into about 5 years ago. I rarely go out ONLY to shoot paper. I'm fortunate enough to have a # of permissions on agricultural type properties & 95 percent of my shooting is "verminating". I'm also really grateful I've become friends & get to shoot with extremely proficient FT & EBR shooters from whom I've learned much and apply to "the hunt". I still love it & don't know what I'd do if I had the negative, jaded attitude of some of the previous posters. It's always a ZEN experience for me even when the kill count is zero. As far as the negativity on this thread I feel sorry for you naysayers! This forum is a microcosm of life. There are assh-les & good guys out there. I prefer to learn & grow & see the benefits that are to be had rather than to dwell on what the a-holes offer. Finding the positive is a personal responsibility & takes effort to not let oneself be overly affected by the "bad stuff". Even though these sites are sponsor driven & influenced there is still a lot of truth & knowledge to be had if you train yourself to wade through the B.S. If you're finding "no joy" it's on YOU & not the FORUM or the activity itself!!!

Just this once with my sumatra.25. 😳
IMG_20200323_135334.1621182097.jpg

I have just recently, but not by my choice. The house next door to us recently sold, the new family that moved in cleared the woods behind their house, which is on the side of our yard that I shoot. I no longer have the buffer I had before, so the targets I have set up are clearly visible from their back porch, where before the clearing, they were pretty dense woods that prevented anyone from seeing or wandering anywhere near the targets. Right now it's just the Mom and 3 young kids living there, her husband is military and won't join them until he retires the end of the summer. I have met them, but only briefly. I do mow her front yard every other weeks since her husband isn't there and we have an HOA that can be a PITA. But, I have no idea how they feel about guns, so I have been refraining from any shooting when they are home. I am hoping once the husband gets home, we can get together and invite him to shoot, which may ease things and ultimately allow me to get back to shooting when I want too. But, until that happens, I'll just continue to shoot when I can and keep the peace with the new neighbors!

FL gunner - I live in a small town. We do not have any laws against shooting air rifles so I take advantage of that (but don't abuse it). I keep my guns as quiet as possible and take the needed safety precautions. People around me can see me shooting but I don't care as they do things I don't particularly care for such as having open back yard fire pits which fill my house with smoke in the summer evenings when my windows are open. Or disobeying the law by riding their 3 ans 4 wheel quads and unlicensed trail bikes on town streets. My feeling is we all have to be tolerant when living in a small town. 

As for safety... I have an old electrical control cabinet from a machine that is 2 foot tall and 2 ½ feet wide, I made a wooden box 2 ½ inches thick filled wit rubber mulch that I inserted into it so the pellets aren't hitting metal and don't dent the rear panel. If I cannot keep projectiles within the size of that cabinet I better sell my air rifles. 

I also shoot from the upper deck of my house. While more visible to neighbors and passer bys the projectiles are also aimed at the ground because of the vertical angle and are not traveling horizontally. I also have enough visibility so nobody can approach without being seen. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had any complaints. And if I do... I am perfectly legal in shooting an air rifle in town so they can pound salt.

Whenever I get bored I learn a new skill. I'm currently tuning up a disco I recently bought and planned to do the same for a brocock comppato I also bought from a member here. Problem is the brocock shoots so well I can't really see how I can improve it. Perhaps a regulator would help at longer ranges as there is a bit of inconsistencies in fps but honestly probably not enough for me to notice. I might build a 2250 into a hpa bottle fed rig. Not really the best rifle but that's how I stay interested. Turning a piece of coal into a diamond is what I like best. One day I'll sell 3 or 4 of my guns and buy a raw or something but until then it's tinkering and figuring out stuff that makes me happy. 

Start casting pellets and slugs in different calibers. That will keep you busy.

I have slowed down myself after a long run. I just past up some nice air gunning weather I could have been shooting in. I just didn't feel like messing with it, plus my latest gun (FX MKII) shoots like a laser and has never leaked, so not much to do there to have some fun.

I guess the last air gunning I have done is take out a couple of pest coons and a ground hog. Earlier, 13 headshots at a fixed 85 yards on some gray squirrels. That was fun. I just received an AceBeam E10 red beam flashlight for nighttime hog and coon hunting that I am looking forward to. Just no plinking interest lately.

There are very few hobbies that I don't cycle through over time. I never toss or sell equipment that I like, because I know I will be back eventually. Usually sooner than later.

To go fishing, all I have to do is walk into the back yard, and I didn't fish a lot, but have cycled back of late. I keep a range/club membership as well, and don't shoot a lot any more. I can use all but one of my air guns in the back yard. That helps some.

You aren't alone. It happens. Don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes we need some fresh scenery and perspective. It will be here when you decide the time is right for you.

Cheers

I love to target shoot! Have a 100+ yard backyard shooting range, but slowed way down on my favorite hobby…. Trying to conserve my ammo. My stash of all the now a days hard to get JSB’s won’t last if I target practice too often. Just shoot a magazine or two once and awhile or take out a pest or two. Cannot just blow through two or three tins like when ammunition was more obtainable. I shoot the cheeper stuff and slugs more now, but still in a conservative manner.

JKool

I have noticed i get bored easy with my airguns, i usualy shoot them untill I find theirs or my limits and then put them away and look for something else, new or secondhand for a new challenge, but still i can't sell the ones I have put away so now I have a bunch to choose from and it almost feels like a "new" gun or pistol when it's been some time since I used it the last time, and I am always looking for odd looking or guns in the "wrong" caliber, my latest buy was a Hatsan BT65 ELITE .177 and as you know who have used or seen one, these are buildt for power and have a massive air use, so a 177 is a bit of a wrong caliber, better suited for 22 or 25 cal,but I am very happy with it, it shoots the H/N sniper magnum 14.97gr and H/N Baracuda magnum 16.36gr fantasticly well at 27-28 ft/lbs, but I have reduced the power and gain more shots with the H/N Baracuda match 10.65gr and the Baracuda hunter extreme 9.57gr at 15-16+ ft/lbs, and I am going to order another airtube for it and a regulator so I can use one with full trottle and one regulated, so hopefuly that will keep me interested long enough so I "forget" that i need an Air Arms s410.22...

I’ve hit a wall. I don’t think I’ll ever not want more air rifles but I don’t think I’ll buy anymore for quite a while unless AOA offers the R9 field pro in .20 caliber. My daughter has recently showed interest in shooting .22 long rifle pistols with me and I have recently started shooting a local steel challenge match once a month. The club also has youth steel challenge matches with a focus on safety, education, and training. Shooting with my kid is a dream come true. My oldest never shown an interest and I didn’t force the issue. I’m not going to pass this up with the youngest. Air rifles are too boring for her but she loves the instant gratification of shooting steel and that’s fine with me. Her first match is Saturday.