How many hunt deer

I hunt in MO with a 45 Texan. Deer in our part of the state can hit 320 lbs unlike down in the southern Ozarks where 175 libs is a monster. I’ve had good luck with the 300 grain slugs from Hunter Specialty (?). Run them at around 830 fps. Gun shoots about 1.5 MOA. Have taken whitetail right at 100 yards with vitals shots. Seems to be about the ideal range as the slug is usually in the “far side” of the rib cage just under the hide - so no pass thru. Most cases they don’t get much beyond 40 yards from where I shot them. I’ve recently got the NOE mold which drops 262 grain hollow points but I’ve yet to hunt with them as our alternative methods season doesn’t open til December. To me, its a lot like bow hunting i.e. know your limits, shoot a lot and know where your holdover points are. I zero at 50 but wouldn’t hesitate to take a shot at 130-150. Hoping I can stretch it out to 200 reliably with these slightly lighter slugs. I will tell you this- my Texan‘s barrel will foul after 30-40 shots. It won’t hit the broad side of a barn if it starts to lead up. Keep it clean.

Reactions: AmosBurton
Hunting white tail in my new back yard in WV on / after the 22nd with a .457 Texan LSS. It's been a hell of a lot more accurate than the .45 Texan carbine that I had last year, and prefers 333gr Mr. Hollowpoint HPs (touching groups at 50y with an NX8 1-8).

All of these deer out here look tiny compared to the mule deer in WA state lol. So I'm planning to take one buck and one antlerless.
I just realized when I read the license rules for this year that the West Virginia legislature added airguns. Small game can be taken with any .22 or larger airgun and large game with .45 cal or larger with 200 grain or more ammo.

What part of Florida are you hunting in? I'm in SW Florida.
Basic requirement for airgun deer hunting in Florida is a .30 caliber (or larger) PCP. That is at the state level. Individual areas may restrict that further. Some areas allow pellets or slugs, but some only allow broadhead arrows. Depending on season and location, you may be allowed antlered bucks, or may be allowed does too.

The best thing is to check out the rules for the area you will hunt. You are near Babcock Webb, which has been a pretty huge deer hunting WMA. But there are many others near you within an hour or so. Here is a link to the Babcock hunting rules...

I just realized when I read the license rules for this year that the West Virginia legislature added airguns. Small game can be taken with any .22 or larger airgun and large game with .45 cal or larger with 200 grain or more ammo.
Yep! Pretty cool overall, but I have some reservation (ethics-wise) about some of those rules. I won't hijack this thread on that topic though.