How many fps to penetrate a boars skull?

Well not sure of fps/grains, but can tell you some years ago had a wounded hog about 170lbs or so, laying on the ground needing to be put down. Put my colt 380 pocket lite at almost point blank to back of its head and the bullet bounced off... Followed up with another shot right below the ear and that did it.

iirr, 380 was a 90grain cor bon. Seems to me at the least, parts of a big boars skull are pretty tuff... Doubt that 380 would bounce of my head.

My advice, get a 4x4 chunk of hard wood, and shoot at it until you find something that will penetrate.

At 10 yards and under, I assume it's a controlled situation with the animal restrained. Still, any animal injured is dangerous, especially hogs.

Consider that a standard pellet gun puts out anywhere between 6fps to 50 fps. A .22 long rifle puts out 135 to 150 FPS or there abouts. Not sure I'd trust a 22 long rifle to reliably penetrate a hogs skull, so whatever you do, be careful.

Baker Airgun has two good videos on this topic. Penetration is related to the caliber. A 25cal with 80FPE penetrates more then a 30cal at the same FPE. Scale with the area ratio because penetration is related to contact pressure and a 30cal would need about 100FPE to match the 25cal. 

Good videos. Link to first one below.

https://youtu.be/NcgxvS4z0p8

Aloha Peep,

The question you asked has several answers, but what projectile and weight would answer some of them.

As for a .22 @ 750 fps would depend on the size of the game. With a .22 I wouldn’t try to penetrate the front of the skull, I would shoot it through the ear even at 10 yards or under.

I mainly hunt wild boars and feral goats here in Hawaii. I use different air guns in different caliber’s. .25 jsb 33.95 @ 980 fps, .30 jsb 50.15 @ 910 fps, and .357 NSA 142 @ 960 fps. I have several videos on YouTube showing the game and hunt. I did have 2 guys on AGN bash me for using a .25 but I know what my air gun was capable of doing. I did some test using 5/8 think plywood and gelatin to see how much penetration and at what distance would make a clean kill. Most of my hunts are within 40 yards.

A lot of guys get caught up with fps or fpe which are important but accuracy and shot placement in my opinion are much more important.

Hope this helps you out.

Aloha, Keone

Reactions: airprsr
Its all about lead used.. my 22cal airgun at 110+FPE using 41,3gr RWS hard lead 22LR type projectiles will zip through 3inch thick solid block of wood like butter. But if I shoot it with cast bullets 98%lead 2% tin mix even with 50-60grainers that carry bit more energy than 41,3grainers they will not make it through. They deform badly and get jammed where as RWS bullets dont deform much even from full pass. 

Alltho I dont recomend using too little gun for boars they are durable animals and smart also that require ENOUGH gun to harvest ethically.. not to mention it can be dangerous and agressive when wounded.

Thanks for the video links. Where I live, the rules on the wildlife management areas only allow you to use weapons for a particular season on hogs during the other animal's season. Our small game season is the best opportunity, but the weapons are all less powerful than I would like. I am looking for the best weapon/tactics for taking hogs under these conditions.

The rule of thumb I got from an experienced hog killer on another forum is you need to be able to shoot through 3/4 plywood (or MDF) to reliably penetrate a hog skull. Even then, a side shot is recommended between the eye and the ear.

I do not think a 22 pellet at 750 will do it but maybe if it is a really heavy one. My Prod likes copper plated FTT (14.6 grain) and shoots them over 700 fps and it only gets through one piece of 1/4 MDF. Not even close to enough. My P35 shooting 25 caliber FTT will get through two 1/4 inch pieces, 1/2 inch penetration, but not 3 (it shoots the 20 grain FTTs at about 875 fps). My only PCP that will make it through 3 is my Avenger shooting FX 25.4s at 930 fps (it is a 25 caliber too). I've separately tested a solid piece of sheet goods versus my test block of multiple 1/4 inch pieces and found equivalent penetration. In other words, my Avenger will shoot through a single piece of 3/4 plywood and through three 1/4 MDF sheets. MDF may be a little tougher, it is also more consistent. I made this test block by glueing 5 pieces together secured at the edges and spaced about 1/4 inch apart. That makes it easy to see how far the pellets penetrate.

I think my PCPs are far better small game rifles than hog killers. But if I got a close shot (I test penetration at 25 yards) at the exact right spot with the Avenger on a small hog I would take it. There is at least one youtube of an Avenger being used successfully on a couple small hogs.

For a brain shot I don't think caliber is critical and a 22 would need a little less energy to pass the same test. My guess is you need 850-900 fps on a 18 grain or heavier 22 pellet to do it.