How many fpe is required for coyote?

I hadn’t seen this thread until now but it predates my coming to this forum. Bottom line for me is that I wouldn’t use an air rifle of any kind on a coyote or anything else of much size at 70 yards. That distance for me will require a .223, .270, 30/30 or a .308. If I can’t make an accurate one shot kill I’ve got no business taking the shot.

Rick H.
I guess to each their own, but 90 fpe at the muzzle will do full passthrough heart/lung shot on a yote with ease.

Of course, if you can't hit an orange sized target at that distance, then you should not be shooting air, powder or sling shot.

Sorry I was late to follow up with this old thread. Thank you all for your opinions and advises.

First of all, I don't recommend anyone to shoot any coyotes with any calibre and power, especially with an 18gr pellet at 32 ft.lb. I did managed to drop a coyote with a (lucky) perfectly placed head shot to the temple at 70 yards. It was a very rare and unique situation for me to pull that shot off partly because the coyote was sitting still and not much movement when I finally squeezed off the kill shot. It was my first coyote shot with my Crown with an 18gr AA pellet.

My question was "would this power and calibre enough to kill a coyote with a perfectly placement shot?" Absolutely. The coyote's skull is very thin and if you are able to hit anywhere in the head/temple area, the pellet will penetrate the skull and impacting the brain.

Please watch this video where I showed the damage of the two coyote skulls with pellet vs slug. Since I have shot three coyotes with slugs, I would never use pellets again. The slugs would cause more damage and more energy dump into the brain with a head shot.

Obviously, there are many variables and potentially bigger margin of error to hunt coyotes using a .22 calibre gun like I am using. But my argument is that if I am confident with my ability to hit a small target at any set range and if the opportunity is there to do so, then I will take that shot; Otherwise, I would just reject the shot and wait for another opportunity.

So far I have gotten 4 coyotes (70 yards being the furthest) with my .22 calibre air guns, all with a head shot. I agree that higher calibre and more power would be better, but the end result is still depends on the placement shot by the person behind the trigger.

Thank you all for your comment.

Sorry I was late to follow up with this old thread. Thank you all for your opinions and advises.

First of all, I don't recommend anyone to shoot any coyotes with any calibre and power, especially with an 18gr pellet at 32 ft.lb. I did managed to drop a coyote with a (lucky) perfectly placed head shot to the temple at 70 yards. It was a very rare and unique situation for me to pull that shot off partly because the coyote was sitting still and not much movement when I finally squeezed off the kill shot. It was my first coyote shot with my Crown with an 18gr AA pellet.

My question was "would this power and calibre enough to kill a coyote with a perfectly placement shot?" Absolutely. The coyote's skull is very thin and if you are able to hit anywhere in the head/temple area, the pellet will penetrate the skull and impacting the brain.

Please watch this video where I showed the damage of the two coyote skulls with pellet vs slug. Since I have shot three coyotes with slugs, I would never use pellets again. The slugs would cause more damage and more energy dump into the brain with a head shot.

Obviously, there are many variables and potentially bigger margin of error to hunt coyotes using a .22 calibre gun like I am using. But my argument is that if I am confident with my ability to hit a small target at any set range and if the opportunity is there to do so, then I will take that shot; Otherwise, I would just reject the shot and wait for another opportunity.

So far I have gotten 4 coyotes (70 yards being the furthest) with my .22 calibre air guns, all with a head shot. I agree that higher calibre and more power would be better, but the end result is still depends on the placement shot by the person behind the trigger.

Thank you all for your comment.
Watching your video I agree with you. A few thoughts:

I would suggest your experience and skill are on the upper end of what I see with most "hunters". So as you mentioned, your shot distance is going to be further than most people can handle. And you can also get away using a lower power setup, where most hunters wont be able to.

With the entry/exit holes, my guess is the pellet is a bit softer and deformed some upon impact. And then the slug carries a lot more of the initial energy to its impact point. I dont know how much the regular H&N slugs deform/expand, its more likely it tumbled backwards upon impact. I believe they are a harder lead alloy and the cavity is pretty shallow. That coupled with the low impact velocity...

Bottom line, I wish more people were as responsible as you when hunting. :cool:(y)

@MongooseV8. Thank you for your understanding and appreciation. I am very fortunate to have multiple permissions where I can setup and practice shooting my air guns in order to get better. Sometimes I get a lot of comments from viewers complaining I took too long to shoot. Well, I just wanted to make sure my shot would hit where it needs to be in order to avoid unnecessary suffering to the animals. I am, by no means perfect, but I will do my best to learn and improve each and every day. Cheers.

In my experience, it can be tough sometimes to get close to coyotes. They are just a wirey breed that don't take easily to close human contact unless they are sick or very distracted. A lot of times when they come in to stalk they shift side-to-side pretty rapidly which makes them even tougher to get decent target acquisition. Sometimes not so much. The only reason I bring this up is because I have taken hundreds of them over the years, and their behavior can be very unpredictable at times (even after being shot).

As far as FPE, I think it really comes down to shot placement. In a perfect world, a .223 or .22-250 etc would be the round of choice on coyotes. .17 HMR would be the lowest I would go for an accurate humane kill at reasonable range. But that's not to say that I would not reach for the closest thing available if I saw a coyote posing a threat to an animal on my property, my new-ish .22 NP2 or even a .177 if it was an immediate threat in that case. It wouldn't be my preference obviously, but sometimes stuff happens. That being said, there was a video shared not long ago of a coyote that was taken very quickly and humanely after it was caught stalking a guy's pigeon coup. It's easily found on YouTube. IIRC he used a .177 at close range, and dropped the dog instantly at impact. But as someone eluded to, I am pretty sure it was also a shot to the side or back of the head that guaranteed the kill. It seemed like a situation like I described where the property owner quickly grabbed what he could at the moment and took the shot.

From my noobishly new studies I have been doing with modern airguns, 30 FPE in .22 sounds reasonable but only assuming correct shot-placement. Sometimes coyotes can be easily put down. Other times they will take a hit (even to the head) and still run off. I had one that was breaching a neighbor's fence to get to a new calf, shot it straight through the neck (I had previous permission from the owner) and that dog kept pushing forward like it just didn't care. Must have been hungry. A quick follow-up shot to the head dispatched it righteously and the calf was unharmed. But all that said if I had a pre-determined choice on coyotes I don't think I would step any lower than my HMR for a solid fast-moving head-splattering under 125 yards. .223 is really where it's at with Coyotes (or .30 or .357 PCP?) Just my $0.02.

Bonus fact: I have never taken a shot at a Coyote with an air rifle. I can't say I am against it though, I am sure my NP2 .22 could get it done with a nice head-shot. Boiler shots are never guaranteed on coyotes though. They are just too shifty that a .17 HMR or .223 really has it's advantages with a speedier bullet. Either way, good luck and good hunting.

PT
Isn’t the 17 mhr the smallest pill in a powder burner ?

Isn’t the 17 mhr the smallest pill in a powder burner ?
Unless you count some really strange stuff, or long obsolete commercial cartridges, pretty much. Smallest commercial cartridge I'm aware of was a 2mm colibri(Kolibri?) that was less then .15 inch diameter. Then there are all the pin guns, micro guns, etc.. generally made by high end craftsmen that can have crazy small ammo, none of which ever was commercial as far as I know. Of course wildcatter's have made smaller by far.

Last edited:
Not to worry N2shooter I can hit targets quite a bit smaller than an orange at 70 yards. While I do pretty well with air power as well I don’t have enough confidence in a .22 caliber anything to take that shot and be certain of an immediate kill. I have used 270, 30/30 and .308 at much greater distances and achieved a quick kill. I think my insistence on this for myself goes back to a day when I found five dead deer in a creek under a bridge. It was out of season and the deer had not been harvested, just killed for the hell of it. Since then I’ve had no tolerance for poaching or shooting anything without the certainty that it will be a quick kill. As I type this I personally don’t have that confidence in anything .22. That may change with experience, we’ll see.

Rick H.

It seems like some people have a snobbish holier than thou attitude toward killing predators so fast that it's painless and if you can't make the perfect painless shot then you shouldn't kill the predator that would tear your guts out and eat them while you slowly die.
When harvesting for food it's good to make a clean kill.
When you're killing a killer to prevent loss of something more important you simply get the job done by whatever means.
If you're killing just because you can or to prove to yourself that you're good at it that's another kettle of fish.
You're not the angel of death. Kill when there is need and let live otherwise.

D486BC4F-9394-4B7D-BFCF-EBAD3275C5EE.jpeg

It seems like some people have a snobbish holier than thou attitude toward killing predators so fast that it's painless and if you can't make the perfect painless shot then you shouldn't kill the predator that would tear your guts out and eat them while you slowly die.
When harvesting for food it's good to make a clean kill.
When you're killing a killer to prevent loss of something more important you simply get the job done by whatever means.
If you're killing just because you can or to prove to yourself that you're good at it that's another kettle of fish.
You're not the angel of death. Kill when there is need and let live otherwise.
Not snobbish or holier attitude here. I just have a healthy respect for God's creation. And a nilly-willy attitude is going to get hunting banned in the US some day, mark my words. No issue shooting an animal that is dangerous with whatever you have handy. I think some people dont have enough responsibility/maturity when it comes to hunting.

Not snobbish or holier attitude here. I just have a healthy respect for God's creation.
Since you brought it up... If we were all created by one and the animals were created to server our needs, why would our method of dispatch change so greatly all of a sudden? We use to push them off a cliff, crush them with large rocks, club, spear and cut throats. In order for meat to be halal (acceptable) the animal must be slaughtered a certain way. "While the animal is alive and in good health. The slaughter of the animal must be done on the front of the neck. The Esophagus, trachea, two jugular veins and two arteries must be cut. It must be done between the lower jaw and the breast bone."
I know there are different societies with different beliefs but I've never seen one described as being as quick and painless as possible.

We're not allowed to discuss this topic on this forum so I'll stop at this.

Hi all, a question for you hunters out there.

What is the minimum FPE required to take down a coyote at 70 yards with a .22 caliber air rifle using 18gr pellet? Let me know your velocity/fpe at the muzzle.

thanks

Alex
A good shot, accurately placed, with a pellet that is accurate in your gun is fine (depending on yardage) I killed a coyote with a .177 Gamo Swarm Whisper at 60+ yds with a Gamo red fire pellet. Placement and precision is the key. And hey would love to see what you kill on the hunting forum!

Since you brought it up... If we were all created by one and the animals were created to server our needs, why would our method of dispatch change so greatly all of a sudden? We use to push them off a cliff, crush them with large rocks, club, spear and cut throats. In order for meat to be halal (acceptable) the animal must be slaughtered a certain way. "While the animal is alive and in good health. The slaughter of the animal must be done on the front of the neck. The Esophagus, trachea, two jugular veins and two arteries must be cut. It must be done between the lower jaw and the breast bone."
I know there are different societies with different beliefs but I've never seen one described as being as quick and painless as possible.

All of a sudden? did you just crawl out of some cave? Wow, this is the kind of things that worries me folks. Like I mentioned before, it wouldn't be so bad if people did things on their own accord but at least had the decency to not record themselves and the "tools" that they do these things with. A little tactfulness would sincerely prevent a hell of a lot of legislation, which is sure to come to our way.

Reactions: MongooseV8
All of a sudden? did you just crawl out of some cave? Wow, this is the kind of things that worries me folks. Like I mentioned before, it wouldn't be so bad if people did things on their own accord but at least had the decency to not record themselves and the "tools" that they do these things with. A little tactfulness would sincerely prevent a hell of a lot of legislation, which is sure to come to our way.
In the timeline of man quick kill weapons are very new. For millions of years we got it done by any means.
Please educate yourself before commenting in blind ignorance.

Reactions: AirGunShooter

Because the animal's life does not belong to me, I didnt create it. I dont think the animals were created just to serve us. I believe we were charged with dominion over animals, which includes the respectful care of them. Sometimes that means deciding to end one, to preserve another. So in all cases I do everything possible to have maximum effectiveness. Doing the bare minimum is not defensible in my opinion, no matter what you believe in. Even in your emergency scenario, being chased by a bear or whatever; be as fair and effective as you can. I dont see what is wrong with that? I think anything else is lazy. Might sound elitist but its not an idea I just made up on my own. It has been passed down father to child, for many generations. And your quoted reference can be seen as both the quickest, and healthiest way.

My dad told me many times when I was little: "You can tell a lot about a man by how he treats animals."

In the timeline of man quick kill weapons are very new. For millions of years we got it done by any means.
Please educate yourself before commenting in blind ignorance.
About the only ignorant thing I am doing here, is engaging with you buddy.. We live in the land of milk and honey, the land of more power is more better, no replacement for displacement. We have more horse power at our disposal and more freedom to use it, than any other country in the world but we willfully choose to mock our very freedoms and decry once they are threatened. Please educate yourself before reproducing...

About the only ignorant thing I am doing here, is engaging with you buddy.. We live in the land of milk and honey, the land of more power is more better, no replacement for displacement. We have more horse power at our disposal and more freedom to use it, than any other country in the world but we willfully choose to mock our very freedoms and decry once they are threatened. Please educate yourself before reproducing...
Most of the world doesn't think like the alphabet hippies from your area. Your fear is how you are controlled. While you're educating yourself look up where all government in this country derives it's power.

Reactions: Jlowe