• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How many fpe is required for coyote?

For those who might be interested, the video is ready for viewing at the Hunting section.

I guess I have found out the answer to my question before posting the question...

I was just curios to find out what people's viewpoint was.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Alex

Nice, I'll check it out.

For the record, I may have sounded a bit conservative (in the coyote's favor) in my original response, but that was not my intention. I cannot emphasize enough though that realistically, I do not have any respect for them. As someone else already stated, coyotes don't care. They are kind of the sharks of the dog world, when they smell an impending feeding frenzy, they organize quick, move quick, and can be very destructive for many farmers (and small pet owners).

My caliber suggestions were just that, suggestions. But in a pinch, I would have no problem lobbing a sling-shot at a coyote if it's all I had at that moment. I'll go look for your video now 🙂

PT

Reactions: karl_h
I would only use a 30fpe 22 for a brain shot on a coyote and would not want to push it to 70 yards. I would test the penetration in wet paper or at least mdf before trying a 70 yard shot. I've been shooting squirrels with a 30-35 fpe 25 and it didn't exit at least 3 of them (out of 6 body shots and 16 squirrels). One was a double front shoulder hit, the other two I remember where diagonal passes through the bodies. All went through the body but stopped under the hide instead of exiting. A 25 won't penetrate as well as a 22 but a squirrel is a lot smaller than a coyote too. I'd want to see 1/2 inch MDF or plywood penetration at the range you anticipate shooting to say brain shots are OK. My smaller 25 will do it at 25 yards but I doubt it would at 70 yards. My 45 fpe 25 will go through 3/4 plywood at 25 and went through 1/2 but not 3/4 at 100 yards so it could probably get through a coyote skull at 70. But a coyote brain isn't a very big target either. 

But honestly there is an old muskrat that has damaged my dock several times and if I get a shot on it with any of my air rifles I'll take it. I don't know what it would weigh but it is a big muskrat. . (looked it up, probably less than 5 lbs and thus a lot smaller than a coyote but my smallest PCP is a 17 fpe Prod and I'd use it if it was what was in my hands) 

I agree with @JimD, and I would not use 30fpe on coyote unless it was a head shot.

I've done a lot of Ballistics Testing with my Benjamin Bulldog .357 into Ballistics Gel, and that testing has me settled on 100fpe with a .30cal round for coyote with heart/lung shots over head shots. I choose bodyshots simply because of probability. It's much easier to get a kill with a bodyshot than a headshot statistically speaking, especially at the 70 yard distance. Take into account the energy needed to go through the clavicle or other large bones near the heart/lungs, and at 70 yards you only have 84fpe left (and only 76 at 100 yards), that is the safest energy level I feel comfortable with at that distance.

Just me and my opinion but under no circumstances would I shoot a yote with an 18 gr pellet out of anything and I hate yotes. We all realize that PB yote hunters will call a 22 mag marginal. Anyway, just my opinion but I wouldn’t use anything less than a 45-50 grain slug pushing the 880-900 fps barrier and keep shots not much over 50. We really owe it to the animals we pursue. 

It’s honestly difficult to put a minimum FPE requirement where there can be so many variables involved. I personally would want as much as I could get shooting an airgun. My dedicated yote gun is a Benjamin Bulldog shooting right at 150 FPE. I’m in the process of modifying it and hope to get double the current energy level when it’s done. It will still be my yote gun after the modifications, I don’t feel that 300 FPE is too much but certainly less power would also work well.

Reactions: MongooseV8
I've been playing around with my fpe numbers to find out at what fpe is needed with a head shot . Right now my lowest is 11.80 fpe on impact . My Hatsan sniper 22 cal puts out a 14.3 grain pellet at 950 fps and according to chairgun at 75 yards its 11.80 fpe . I dropped it in its tracks with one shot to the head right behind the eye and it went into the skull but no exit hole . So far that's the lowest fpe on impact I have with a coyote brain shot . I'm sure a body shot would be less . I've been trying to get a 81 yard shot that would drop the fpe down to 11.00 to see what woulds happen but so far no shots at that range . I'm not trying to be inhumane I'm just gathering info what fpe is needed for different animals .

@ptthere. great info and thank you. You are spot on with your comment. Placement shot is key and a 30FPE in .22 is possible.

We were asked to help a farmer where she has seen 10-12 coyotes in her land and some even came up to her lawn and tried to steal her chickens. I have never shot a coyote before so I was very reluctant to attempt the shot given my FX Crown .22 was only tuned to 33 fpe with 18gr JSB. I am trying to finish edit my video so I can post in Hunting section.

I started this post mainly to find out whether anyone has had success with a 30fpe .22 taking out a coyote.

My short answer is a Yes. Please stay tune for my video in the Hunting section soon.

thank you all for your replies. this is a great forum to discuss and learn important lessons and advices.

Alex
Keep in mind that if you have 30 fpe at the muzzle, you will only have about 23 fpe at around 70 yards. That's not much and no margin for error. A larger caliber with more power would be preferable.

Reactions: MongooseV8
In my experience I would put money on 30fpe with a pellet @70 yards will not even come close to good enough. People taking uneducated and unethical shots on animals is going to get hunting banned some day. Not directing that at anyone in particular but we all have a responsibility to the animal first, and to each other second. Possible yes, but far from ethical. I know it sounds harsh but around here where I live we take it seriously.

A 30fpe JSB 18.13 Exact Jumbo Heavy has a floating BC of 0.035 and probably 15fpe or less @70 yards. The reality is perfect shot placement is irrelevant in your scenario. Maybe through the eye socket at the perfect angle but none of us are The Rifleman. I wouldnt even consider anything less than ~80fpe hard slugs at a reasonable distance and great shot placement. With the exception of extreme situations, like the coyote that likes to walk on my buddies back deck where his small kids play. And for reference he hit a racoon much closer than 70 yards with a 50+fpe 25 cal and it bounced off its skull only dazing it. Air rigs are always going to lack in penetration when compared to more traditional methods no matter what you use.

I hadn’t seen this thread until now but it predates my coming to this forum. Bottom line for me is that I wouldn’t use an air rifle of any kind on a coyote or anything else of much size at 70 yards. That distance for me will require a .223, .270, 30/30 or a .308. If I can’t make an accurate one shot kill I’ve got no business taking the shot.

Rick H.

Just me and my opinion but under no circumstances would I shoot a yote with an 18 gr pellet out of anything and I hate yotes. We all realize that PB yote hunters will call a 22 mag marginal. Anyway, just my opinion but I wouldn’t use anything less than a 45-50 grain slug pushing the 880-900 fps barrier and keep shots not much over 50. We really owe it to the animals we pursue.
As an avid PB varmint hunter I totally agree. My main rig is 55 grains at over 4200fps and it does a very ethical job. One ranch I was helping lost multiple cows, calfs, and 2 horses between coyotes and ground squirrels. I am really enjoying my new pcp hobby but a lot of people have some....interesting perspectives.

Edit: just realized this is an ancient zombie thread; either way I doubt that same coyote is still with us :ROFLMAO:

I've been playing around with my fpe numbers to find out at what fpe is needed with a head shot . Right now my lowest is 11.80 fpe on impact . My Hatsan sniper 22 cal puts out a 14.3 grain pellet at 950 fps and according to chairgun at 75 yards its 11.80 fpe . I dropped it in its tracks with one shot to the head right behind the eye and it went into the skull but no exit hole . So far that's the lowest fpe on impact I have with a coyote brain shot . I'm sure a body shot would be less . I've been trying to get a 81 yard shot that would drop the fpe down to 11.00 to see what woulds happen but so far no shots at that range . I'm not trying to be inhumane I'm just gathering info what fpe is needed for different animals .
Testing on live animals is frowned upon in some circles

When people compare energy just make sure you consider OP is talking about a brain shot not a body shot. I shot one just below the ear about 60y with a .30 and about 100fpe. It dropped like a sack of potatoes. PB shooters usually take body shots if im not mistaken that take a lot more energy. That said I wouldn't shoot one with pellets in .22.

When people compare energy just make sure you consider OP is talking about a brain shot not a body shot. I shot one just below the ear about 60y with a .30 and about 100fpe. It dropped like a sack of potatoes. PB shooters usually take body shots if im not mistaken that take a lot more energy. That said I wouldn't shoot one with pellets in .22.
Growing up in Idaho Bud and I hunted coyote for their pelts for extra $$$. Living in Owyhee country there endless opportunities. Setting up blinds in the end of a ravine that you have scouted. We would call them in with wounded rabbit or crow tapes on a cassette player. Most time one would come in first. If it felt comfortable sometimes a few more would follow. When close enough, both of us would stand up. 90% of the time that yote turns and runs. Ending up with a good old Idaho enima.

However we were using firearms.

We where told buy the gentleman that bought the pelts to shoot them up the ass, and let him skin them. It make the pelts worth more he'd say Less holes. He gave us young farm boys the above method. He was profiting by doing so.

My thoughts on killing predators.
If I'm hunting to reduce the population in an area I would only go for the clean one shot kills.
If I had a predator feeding on my pets or livestock I'd shoot it in the foot if that were the only shot available.

Interesting story... 1 great pyrenees dog kills 8 out of a pack of 11 coyotes.

My thoughts on killing predators.
If I'm hunting to reduce the population in an area I would only go for the clean one shot kills.
If I had a predator feeding on my pets or livestock I'd shoot it in the foot if that were the only shot available.

Interesting story... 1 great pyrenees dog kills 8 out of a pack of 11 coyotes.
That's one hell of a dog, I feel the same way about protecting pets and livestock. No holds barred.