• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How many fpe is required for coyote?

A head shot is the most effective if you have a standing or steady positioned coyote. Heart and lung shots are used by most hunters becuse they are larger targets and the hunter can presumably follow a wounded animal. In brush or heavy weeds and in daylight, you have a better time following a blood trail if the animal is well shot. Try following a blood trail at night LOL GOOD LUCK. If you wish to do that, get a good tracking dog as your partner.

If you used a larger caliber rifle with higher FPE along with a more expanding bullet, heart shots may be possible BUT I think your approach is very good. Even if it takes a bit longer to bag your next dog. After all , you know the best way to ruin a hunting trip? Shoot something. It turns an enjoyable time into hard work. I learned that with my wife when she shot her first Moose.

I am using FX Impact M3 in 25 cal. 38 grains of NSA slugs going about 910 fps. Distance to targets between 15-30 yards

This setup has resulted in 2 that moved as I took the shot over the past 18 months. One was instant death hitting the spine instead of the head. The other went through the lungs and maybe hit the spine as well and that dawg died in about 30 seconds from the trauma. It was instantly paralyzed and still died right there where it was hit. Overall I think the setup has taken about 10 or more coyotes. I stopped counting but that is a pretty good guess. I have used other setups in the past but I didn't always keep good notes

Buffaloman,

There is a very busy game trail running along my property and is about 15 yards from my back window. These dawgs patrol this property line regularly. There are good numbers of them too.

When I first started targeting them I would just shoot at daylight hours when I saw them at random. At this stage I was always shooting skwirrels and that was my main interest. Eventually, I put up a game camera and saw them taking skwirrel or even just passing through. For them it's like walking to the bus stop and finding lunch on the way.

If I want to draw them in, I lay out a rabbit, skwirrel, a fish I caught, or something like that. They are scavengers and will readily take free food like most dawgs.

Often times I don't have to "bait them" at all and they will sometimes even sit in the bush for up to an hour I have seen. Even my neighbor lady has said they sit in the bush watching her while she grills food.

The key things for me are - try not to let them know you are there and make zero noise. Even cocking the rifle as gently as possible can spook them. Also, if they come in once and are not spooked, they will often come back again within 5-15 minutes if they think there is free food remaining. Almost 100% on that. But expect them to even come in from a different direction sometimes..

They usually take smaller bait and move out of the immediate area to eat without a threat and in peace. Then return to make sure there is nothing else remaining. Out in a desert where moving out of the immediate area is not providing any sense of solitude for them this behavior may not exist or be different..

To alert myself of their presence nowadays I have 2 motion detectors I got at Amazon for about 25-35 bux. In addition, I have a motion detecting camera that alerts my phone (it's not nearly as reliable at motion detection). This camera is not the best to alert me but I can use my phone to view real time video from the camera. This is where I will weed out other animals that will be there as well.

For my situation the most important parts are 1) opening the window undetected 2) being careful of not shooting my wall or window

Last edited:
Reactions: Max115