How many are in your "collection" and when do you decide to stop?

I started 3 years ago in June after I had serious tree rat problems, when my buddy demonstrated a HW80. It caught on like the Bubonic plague. Not so bad, when I say it this way, I’m at 4 dozen. I have 1 lemon(to be dumped) the rest are deadly, all springers, one Benjamin Discovery in there. No plans on retiring Airguns, just getting started. No need to get any more but if one came up I wouldn’t hesitate. I’m looking forward to tuning them and add a little jewelry to a few. Crow

I too am in the quiet corner myself ! Small world fellow gunner!
Returned T Sender
XX22.jpg

Last edited:
". . . why I started shooting rats with my deer rifle to begin with. Since divorce would improve her life a great deal. . ."

I may have to buy a Ruger after reading this quick ( he's busy ) & practical 1077 shooting review by one Tom Coal:
Because. "it's likely if you (I) was to get one you'd agree" um hmm.

"I wasnt planning on purchasing this particular air rifle but it was all my local hardware store had in stock. I noticed the rat population around my farm had grown and the wife was not pleased to hear my 30-06 report whenever I caught sight of one after dark. Admittebly my 06 is far superior to the air rifle in range and kill power (obviously) but firing a high powered rifle cartridge around my stock at night to kill a rat isn't the right choice. A .22 short would be my number one pick but the wife made everything around the house a gun free zone which is why I started shooting rats with my deer rifle to begin with. Since divorce would improve her life a great deal I figured I'd best compromise and purchase an air rifle which brings us here. I love the quiet thing! I haven't missed a varmit yet, the cows don't poop all over everything and I shot my neighbor, ole dirty Dan right in the kazoo and he figured it was a ghost. I got no complaints about this airgun and it's likely if you was to get one you'd agree.

01/11/22 - Tom Coal
★★★★☆
1077 Free Style air rifle

I was shot by "Ole' Boo" like that, it gets your attention.

Last edited:
@CTairgunner1288

First off, awesome thread BTW. I've been doing a lot of soul searching regarding my "collection" prior to this thread. I almost didn't want to reply to this thread because it just makes me think about the current state I'm in lol. I'm currently at 10 in my inventory. 8 PCPs' and 2 springers. No pistols though. The springers don't really count for me because I don't shoot them anymore. All my PCPs' are users and all have a purpose.

The problem I'm coming across is running out of space. I only own 1 safe and it's for the powder burners that I've collected throughout the years before seriously getting into PCPs'. Another problem I've come across is that after getting a taste of higher end optics, the last 4 PCPs' I acquired have been outfitted with them. It makes me enjoy shooting them more because I think of them as a whole package matching the scope to the gun.

When I look at all my PCPs' lined up and realize that the scopes on them cost more than the guns themselves, I realize that I definitely need to get a 2nd safe. I'm way in over my head knowing that my job requires more of my time. I have to prioritize my time on what I want or need to do with my airguns whether it be tuning or doing some testing. I also wish I had a longer range at home to shoot in. Just some thoughts and I know I haven't covered other aspects of it.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I have
3 x 177 Hw30 one peeped, one scoped and a scoped one for the wife.
177 Hw50 squirrel woods gun.
177 Hw95L my first serious air rifle. Its a friggin Lazer beam at 50 yds.
177 Hw97kSE Green laminate edition
20 R9LE Blue laminate edition. Just a cool gun in a good caliber.
177 1992 R1 converted to 20 or 22 depending on pellet supply.
20 caliber P1 pistol converted to 177. I'm too bad with it to use 20 caliber pellets.

I'm done. There's nothing left I want. I need another air gun like a hole in the head. In fact the 97 has been up for sale a time or two because I hardly use it. Then when I do, it shoots so good I change my mind about selling it.
I'm certainly done adding to the collection.

@CTairgunner1288

First off, awesome thread BTW. I've been doing a lot of soul searching regarding my "collection" prior to this thread. I almost didn't want to reply to this thread because it just makes me think about the current state I'm in lol. I'm currently at 10 in my inventory. 8 PCPs' and 2 springers. No pistols though. The springers don't really count for me because I don't shoot them anymore. All my PCPs' are users and all have a purpose.

The problem I'm coming across is running out of space. I only own 1 safe and it's for the powder burners that I've collected throughout the years before seriously getting into PCPs'. Another problem I've come across is that after getting a taste of higher end optics, the last 4 PCPs' I acquired have been outfitted with them. It makes me enjoy shooting them more because I think of them as a whole package matching the scope to the gun.

When I look at all my PCPs' lined up and realize that the scopes on them cost more than the guns themselves, I realize that I definitely need to get a 2nd safe. I'm way in over my head knowing that my job requires more of my time. I have to prioritize my time on what I want or need to do with my airguns whether it be tuning or doing some testing. I also wish I had a longer range at home to shoot in. Just some thoughts and I know I haven't covered other aspects of it.

Ive since in 4 weeks dwindled this collection down to two taipans and wondering if I should just bring it down to one. Having so many options and so many cool new things make it hard to not buy more and more and more. Sometimes you just gotta check yourself.

I've been a collector/shooter for most of my life. I've also collected knives and had other hobbies like quad racing and R/C racing too, things that I've thrown irresponsible amounts of money at. Before my divorce just over 5 years ago (was married for 22 years), I had a 6 figure gun collection, as well as a 6 figure knife collection. Because of ending up borderline homeless and extremely depressed after my divorce I sold most of those material things off, and I'll be honest with you, I wasn't very sad about doing so. When life was good and money was fairly abundant, I bought stuff that I liked. When life was not so good, well, because there really wasn't any place for it in my life any longer, I got rid of it for things that were more important at the time.
Fast forward to today, I'm doing much better now. I bought another house, quit my job of 16 years because I hated it and it was killing me on the inside, and I turned one of my passions into a business by opening up a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school 2 blocks from my house. My business started taking off fairly well over the last few months and so I have started buying a few things again, Air Guns being the main. Yesterday I kind of made an impulse buy because something that is very hard to find became available and so I bought it. It's an FX Impact M3 Compact in 22 cal, bronze and brand new. I was only supposed to spend like 90 bucks on 5 tins of 30 cal Hades but instead ending up spending $2500 bucks. After doing so, I started feeling a little bit guilty because I don't really need the rifle and then I started fighting with myself and kicking myself in my own balls.
Here's the thing about men and hobbies, and this is the truth for me: I work hard, I've suffered a great deal in my life starting from childhood, I've lost a lot of people and things in my life that have led to great amounts of trauma on the inside leading to pain that I have to deal with every single day. And so, the reason I continue to buy new things like Air Rifles that I don't need, and I'm being brutally honest here, it's because I like them a lot and they make me feel happy. I love buying a new air rifle, decking it out, then sitting it on the rug on the floor beneath the T.V. so that I can look at my new gun while I watch T.V. I love shooting in my backyard throughout the day before I go into my school to teach in the afternoon. I'm going to die one day and I don't want to be laying there in my final moment saying "Well S&%t, I sure wished I would of just bought that damn M3 Compact when I had the chance."
As long as your bills are paid, and your responsibilities are taken care of, screw it man, just buy the dang thing! You'll only maybe regret it until you start squeezing that trigger and sending some pellets/slugs down range.
We're all gonna die, so may as well live while we're here.......

I own 14 (FOURTEEN) air rifles and I live in a 900sqft retirement house with a wife who doesn't like clutter OR understand the concept of "I really do need that fifteenth airgun cause their so hard to find...and one more"! But fellow airgunners don't dispair I had a plain all along. Bought (HER) a nice little house on an island (Ceder Key Fla) CHA CHING, and let her remodel it CHA CHING CHING CHING, and when the day came when I located a THEOBEN SLR88 FT and told (her) the asking price she considered it lunch money...Oh and that doesn't include the 450sqft addition that has been permitted and has plans drawn up, WAY more than the remodel was...thus the "one more"...lol...true story! Seriously, I do have a modest Theoben collection true non shooter safe queens, 6 gasrammers and one Rapid and 7 standard daily shooters of various makes, 5PCP's and 2 spring guns, of the 7 shooters my faves are the Taipan Veteran .22 and Huntsman .177 nonreg and a HW97 .20cal. I have a Wolverine and a Bobcat I should sell and get my "last one" a Kalibergun Mini Carbine that I have been REALLY wanting to try but I hate boxing and shipping guns so guess I'll stand pat, sometimes good enough is good enough. My father in law recently passed and left my wife a 10ac minifarm, perfect for shooting...although I have mow it; going to set up a long range range 100y for the Bobcat and some reactive targets around the property, been punching paper or wood board targets as long as I can remember just waiting for cooler weather. Never say never but I am pretty content with "my collection" which was years in the making ....and enough pellets that I don't have to worry about running out!
20220906_153151.jpg
20220907_145117.jpg
20220904_092440.jpg

And so, the reason I continue to buy new things like Air Rifles that I don't need, and I'm being brutally honest here, it's because I like them a lot and they make me feel happy.
I couldn't agree more, I get the same feeling. I have 6 Weihrauchs, 3 Dianas, 1 daisy and 1 crosman. I have had my dream gun on order for over a year, HW98 in .20. I already have scope, a CS700 stock and moderator waiting for it. It is going to make me extremely happy if it ever comes.

Last edited:
Reactions: abqjoe
I couldn't agree more, I get the same feeling. I have 6 Weihrauchs, 3 Dianas, 1 daisy and 1 crosman. I have had my dream gun on order for over a year, HW98 in .20. I already have scope, a CS700 stock and moderator waiting for it. It is going to make me extremely happy if it ever comes.
A few years ago it was no problem to find one of those, but now, in 20, I haven't seen one in a minute. I'll definitely let you know if I run across one though.

Reactions: jccams
I've been a collector/shooter for most of my life. I've also collected knives and had other hobbies like quad racing and R/C racing too, things that I've thrown irresponsible amounts of money at. Before my divorce just over 5 years ago (was married for 22 years), I had a 6 figure gun collection, as well as a 6 figure knife collection. Because of ending up borderline homeless and extremely depressed after my divorce I sold most of those material things off, and I'll be honest with you, I wasn't very sad about doing so. When life was good and money was fairly abundant, I bought stuff that I liked. When life was not so good, well, because there really wasn't any place for it in my life any longer, I got rid of it for things that were more important at the time.
Fast forward to today, I'm doing much better now. I bought another house, quit my job of 16 years because I hated it and it was killing me on the inside, and I turned one of my passions into a business by opening up a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school 2 blocks from my house. My business started taking off fairly well over the last few months and so I have started buying a few things again, Air Guns being the main. Yesterday I kind of made an impulse buy because something that is very hard to find became available and so I bought it. It's an FX Impact M3 Compact in 22 cal, bronze and brand new. I was only supposed to spend like 90 bucks on 5 tins of 30 cal Hades but instead ending up spending $2500 bucks. After doing so, I started feeling a little bit guilty because I don't really need the rifle and then I started fighting with myself and kicking myself in my own balls.
Here's the thing about men and hobbies, and this is the truth for me: I work hard, I've suffered a great deal in my life starting from childhood, I've lost a lot of people and things in my life that have led to great amounts of trauma on the inside leading to pain that I have to deal with every single day. And so, the reason I continue to buy new things like Air Rifles that I don't need, and I'm being brutally honest here, it's because I like them a lot and they make me feel happy. I love buying a new air rifle, decking it out, then sitting it on the rug on the floor beneath the T.V. so that I can look at my new gun while I watch T.V. I love shooting in my backyard throughout the day before I go into my school to teach in the afternoon. I'm going to die one day and I don't want to be laying there in my final moment saying "Well S&%t, I sure wished I would of just bought that damn M3 Compact when I had the chance."
As long as your bills are paid, and your responsibilities are taken care of, screw it man, just buy the dang thing! You'll only maybe regret it until you start squeezing that trigger and sending some pellets/slugs down range.
We're all gonna die, so may as well live while we're here.......
Brother, that post came from deep within. Thanks for sharing

I own less than 10 PCP’s, and I could get down lower if I needed/wanted to easily for the main reason there are three which I hardly touch anymore, but the thing is, when I do pull them out, it’s as if I got a new gun to tinker and shoot with.

Lately I’ve been obsessed with modifying the ones I tend to use more of, not so much to trick them out, but to make them better than they already are. I’m focusing more on scope useage, making weak design parts better than they came from the factory, and adding parts onto guns that the parts weren’t designed for, as an example, the adapter that Saber tactical makes in order to use their field or bench monopod from one gun to the next, I’m working closely with someone on this mod so I can use the ST monopod on my LCS SK19.

If you took one gun and really evaluated it, for better accuracy along with better performing parts, there’s a lot that can be done. No need to buy new.

Three people I know that share this same approach are BIGHUN, VETMX, and Mubhaur. They’ve been a big help to me.

When I have 500 airguns, I’ll stop. I promise. That number gives me enough leeway for the rest of my life to not feel l shouldn’t buy what I want and it’s high enough that it’s not obtainable if I would have some kind of disorder. As far as how many airguns do I have goes, ironically everyone but me seems to be more interested in that than me.

Reactions: abqjoe
I’ve got 11, two going back to when I was a kid and the rest acquired over the last two years. Do I need more? Nope. I still run across a classic I can’t resist now and then and have the same problem with powder burners. 7 .22’s and an assortment of other fun to shoot/defense guns. I won’t get in to all the RC stuff, model railroading in three gauges and the amateur radios. My life is largely a toy collection. Don’t tell my wife.

Rick H.

23, but I haven’t been at this very long. I don’t need anymore and quite frankly I’m running out of places to put them. I plan on selling some of the cheaper springers at a yard sale for giveaway prices and pass a few of the better ones on to friends and family this Christmas. Hopefully that will get me down to about a dozen of the best. I’ve satisfied my urge to try various modern airguns and now I’ve decided to concentrate on vintage ones.