• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How many are in your "collection" and when do you decide to stop?

Collecting isn’t the same as shooting/using them. I learned my lesson with powder burners. Firstly I can only afford very few PCPs so that practicality aside… I currently own five PCPs, 2 rifles, 2 pistols and a mini carbine (Atomic XR). I have no plans to add more until I clear some of my unused ones. Looking to thin the stable to three guns.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I think for me it will be similar to my PB's. I liked to collect one of two of each "type" (semi, bolt, lever in combinations of centerfire and rimfire. Same for hand guns.

I've sold off about half the PB's but see a similar pattern emerging with air guns. Long guns: One springer, One gas piston, two PCP's. Handguns: One gas piston, four replica CO2 pistols. I don't see it growing much more actually. May get a high end PCP suitable for slugs and maybe a BB full auto for fun.

I constantly find myself looking at this airgun and that airgun.... I always wonder why................

Why do you guys keep looking? why have you guys stopped looking? If you were to build a long range bench gun that wasn't an impact , what would you build? To me its a shame the Evols won't shoot slugs because thats where I'd head.... I dno, just some morning thoughts from an Airgunner before the start of his weekend gets here.

For my first couple years after discovering high performance airguns I went through quite a few, springers and PCPs, buying and trying. That has tapered off quite a bit now, mostly because I filled all the niches that represent each use.

I come on AGN nowadays not necessarily to look for the next purchase, but mostly to try to learn. Because us diehard airgunners are so widely dispersed, it's not very common to have locals to share with and learn from. So, airgun nation. From posts, it seems that many of us are here to learn, and we're all at different stages of knowledge. THAT is why it's so upsetting when we get folks on here acting like experts and clearly stating completely false information, and then getting riled up when they're questioned on the falsehoods. There is always somebody who knows more about something than I do. So it's also frustrating to me to come across those with attitudes implying that their owner is the final verdict on a certain topic. Luckily there are only a few with those social deficits and the bulk of the "nation" seem to be great people, here for the right reasons: to share in the airgun journey. Sorry for the tangent.

So, I guess I stopped looking for the next purchase when I became satisfied with the performance of my current airguns.

If I was to build a long range bench gun that wasn't an impact........I'd look hard into the tubed USFT high power conversions that some on the west coast have modified and been experimenting with. Amazing trigger, low fill pressure so lots of shots from a fill tank, easy to just drop in another 16mm Lothar blank for projectile testing, reliability, etc. All of that within the context of 45-50fpe being my idea of high power, and PELLETS only. I personally don't have much interest in the 40grain .22 slugs going 1050. For me, I'll just shoot a rimfire for those types of power, but we all like different things and so I have no issue with those guys pushing the limits.

As far as collecting......all of mine get shot. Although I do have probably one that gets shot rarely enough that it might be considered a collectable. It's an FWB300, not 300s. So it has that more sporter stock, and some cool fiddleback. Bought it from a friend who kinda aged out of field target (bad back). He sold it to me for a steal, doing a friend a favor thing. Very cool gun that I don't have any plans to sell, and don't shoot a lot (which is my loose personal definition of a collectable).

Hi gunner,
I'm newly reinvigorated to collect and shoot air guns here in rural eastern CT.
I've not done any shooting for years and had given away most of my firearms and Red Rider and pellet pistol collection to my nephew and their young famly.
I decided to build a new air gun collection without spending all the heating oil money.
I had retained an 1894 Winchester Daisy and a 1936 BB Daisy King 1000 shot which I will restore this winter.
1.) Gamo PT 80 Dark Ltd. .177 CO2 pellet repeater
2.) Crosman 1389 'Drifter' .22 14.6" bbl
3.) Daisy 753S Avanti .177 Match
4.) Daisy 340 BB repeater
5.) Daisy F-16 Slinghot
I live in the 'Quiet Corner'.
MV
Of course, the collectors dilemma because:
I'm immediately reminded that I can only shoot one at a time

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon
I do that too! I have some great air rifles, more than one guy needs but I keep looking and wanting to try different ones. Maybe I'm hoping to find that one that does it all and makes me stop looking but I don't think that is a real. I guess it just shows that I am real airgun enthusiast and not just a guy with an airgun?

I would say that I have 13 air rifles in my collection that would bring respect from other "airgunners" on the forums but if I were to include all of them I think I'm close to 30? I really do wish that I was content with just one.

AA9A69C5-399A-4047-BBE4-0F1FB6C47A62.jpeg

When I started in airguns about two years ago I started with a .25 Marauder and an Air Venturi carbon fiber 100 cubic inch tank and a Hill hand pump. My use was pretty much just squirrel hunting. I always took along the cf tank in a backpack. I upgraded to a Wildcat .25 compact, I wanted a Sniper (longer barrel but they were forever on backorder). I tired of the cf in backpack and sold everything and went to suppressed rimfire. Then covid ammo rape program arrived. Swore off powder burners except for a select few for hunting and defense. So then I bought an FX Impact in .22 with 700mm barrel. I chose .22 for economy of ammo and higher shot count. The impact of course has an awesome shot count compared to a .25 Wildcat. Couldn’t stop myself. Bought a 700mm .25 barrel and shroud for it, barrel tuner, and a spare 480cc cf and 500cc aluminum bottle, speed loaders.
I had an awesome rig. Not good enough. I couldn’t take my eyes off the FX camo laminated Continuum in .22. Got that and just recently bought a 700mm slug liner for it. And despite the awesome laminate stock I also really like chassis’s so I HAD to buy a Saber Tactical folding chassis.
Not good enough, I bought a Huben, a RAW HM1000x, an Air Arms S510X, an AEA HP and I believe that’s it. I read a review or 30 and jump on it. But something keeps me very focused on FX. I know it takes time to tune them to perfection and that was part of the plan with retiring that during the buying spree was on the close horizon. I akin it to reloading for powder burners as there’s a lot of tinkering to do to squeeze out the last bit of accuracy.
So at this time I’m left with my Impact, Crown and Wildcat. The others were sold after just a dozen or two pellets through them. They all worked as reviewed but my FX fetish always left me wanting more till I finally got the Wildcat Sniper a couple weeks ago.
Since then, I haven’t really looked or thought about anything new. With all the accessories and add ons I have for the FX’s there’s no good reason to want more. How naive.
What’s next? At the moment, maybe an 800mm barrel for the Impact but I haven’t even opened the slug liner yet so I think I’m safe for now.
FX is releasing those Halo’s soon so we’ll see how they do with the elusive single hole groups.
Randy

View attachment 282520

View attachment 282521
What is the OAL on the Crown with the shorty barrel on it? It's very nice 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼

Hi gunner,
I'm newly reinvigorated to collect and shoot air guns here in rural eastern CT.
I've not done any shooting for years and had given away most of my firearms and Red Rider and pellet pistol collection to my nephew and their young famly.
I decided to build a new air gun collection without spending all the heating oil money.
I had retained an 1894 Winchester Daisy and a 1936 BB Daisy King 1000 shot which I will restore this winter.
1.) Gamo PT 80 Dark Ltd. .177 CO2 pellet repeater
2.) Crosman 1389 'Drifter' .22 14.6" bbl
3.) Daisy 753S Avanti .177 Match
4.) Daisy 340 BB repeater
5.) Daisy F-16 Slinghot
I live in the 'Quiet Corner'.
MV
Of course, the collectors dilemma because:
I'm immediately reminded that I can only shoot one at a time
I too am in the quiet corner myself ! Small world fellow gunner!

Reactions: Mike_V
If you all need help with the disease/sickness of always wanting to buy more guns, may I hand you a prescription to help cure the cravings-

Do ALL you can with a single gun, to the point that there truly isn’t anything left to do. Like-
1. Create dope cards for the distances you shoot
2. Maintain it regularly- relube, o rings, polish parts, etc
3. The things you wish your gun had, either machine them yourself, have a machinist do it, and/or take up 3D printing
4. Come up with ways to make your gun as accurate as it could ever be, be it barrel changes, harmonics control, even the stand/bipod that you use for it, do whatever it takes
5. Customize your gun so it’s all you, and not just another replica that your buddy owns also- paints, hydrodip jobs, decals, etc
6. If you work on your own gun, obtain any and all specialty equipment or tools to make servicing easier.

These are just a few ideas. You’ll find yourself treating your 5 year old gun like it was brand new again, then the cravings to buy and try something different will surely pass.

And if any of those suggestions don’t work, lay out all your guns in front of you, and ask yourself what the duties are for each- do you really need two squirrel guns?

I think by the 5th gun you’ll find you’ve already got most duties covered

One or two of a given thing is never fun to me.

I have multiple cars. Some run, some are in the process of being redone (not stock), one being hot rodded (expensive engine)
Multiple Sport Bikes. Some worn out that no one wants, three run. I pick the one to drive as I pull on my helmet, one is in the middle or having internal parts changed, as I get time. I need more "battery Tenders" !
Firearms...long boring story.
As a kid I raced slot cars...now that I'm old...I still race slot cars. Some cost $50, a few cost upward of $550. I have about 60 total.
And now onto air guns. Lets just say I need a second safe ! Same as the rest. Some sit, some get shot more than others, Some I just like having. At some point in time, they all do get a few magazines through them every now and again.

As far as being good with "one"...OLD wives tale !

Mike

Reactions: crowski
I stopped at 9 .. when I saw a post on Instagram that reads.. The man who's not happy with what he has .. will not be happy with what he's going to have.. it really got me .. even when this is the only thing I enjoy as a hobby.
2-Discontinued cricket compact 177 - 22 ..
4 - uragan standard tuned
224 - condor
257 condor
1 more condor buid for heavier bullets... the one way I could see me buying anything else if someone comes out with a regulated bullet shooter in a bullpub platform in 224 and 257

Man, I am surprised, every time I talk to certain people they tell me to shy away from the L2 , I almost traded for Daves 600mm L2 .30 but was warned against it.

The internet is overflowing with unfounded rumors. You just have to figure out what kind of gun you want, then you can decide what is appropriate. Perhaps the L2 isn't appropriate for you, but you don't want to live your life the victim of fear-mongering.