How low can you go?

I have this great spot, where there are one trillion prairie dogs on any given day. I love it. : ) Only problem is, I have to watch a little bit my background. It is to 99% safe, but that is not good enough for me. It needs to be 100%.

Most targets are between 20 and 45 meters. The pellet penetrates the target pretty much every time, and keeps traveling down range. I am using a FX Bobcat Mk2 in .25, shooting Air Arms 25.4 Gr. pellets at 650 f/s. This is done with the Bobcat set to the lower power setting. At 45 meters, I am still looking at 18 ft/lbs of energy. Obviously, that is way more than I need to get the kill. I remember reading somewhere that it takes around 4 ft/lbs to kill a squirrel?!

How low can you go with your pellet speed? From my understanding, going to fast brings often disadvantages, as the pellet becomes "unstable". But what about going way down on pellet speed?

The ideal scenario would be, to dial the power so far down, to where the pellet "barely" kills the target at the farthest distance. That way I could get the job done, using minimal air and also eliminating any pellets traveling down range. 

Thanks,

Kmd

p.s. My next question is: Can I make a custom "power knob", replacing the existing one, and reduce the speed that way? I would think so, as this is how it is done already. Obviously. : )

"oldspook"Sounds to me like you need a TX200 in .177. Everything you want and unlimited shots.
- Best way to keep white tennis shoes clean?! Get black ones!
- How do I clean my barrel? You don't! Buy a new rifle!
- How do I zero my scope? You don't! Use your iron sights!

Dude, honestly, what is wrong with you!? I am asking a specific question, and the best you can come up with is to suggest I should buy a new rifle? 

Thanks for nothing...

Kmd

p.s. I do have a Springer in .177. Are you happy now?!

"kmd1984"I have this great spot, where there are one trillion prairie dogs on any given day. I love it. : ) Only problem is, I have to watch a little bit my background. It is to 99% safe, but that is not good enough for me. It needs to be 100%.

Most targets are between 20 and 45 meters. The pellet penetrates the target pretty much every time, and keeps traveling down range. I am using a FX Bobcat Mk2 in .25, shooting Air Arms 25.4 Gr. pellets at 650 f/s. This is done with the Bobcat set to the lower power setting. At 45 meters, I am still looking at 18 ft/lbs of energy. Obviously, that is way more than I need to get the kill. I remember reading somewhere that it takes around 4 ft/lbs to kill a squirrel?!

How low can you go with your pellet speed? From my understanding, going to fast brings often disadvantages, as the pellet becomes "unstable". But what about going way down on pellet speed?

The ideal scenario would be, to dial the power so far down, to where the pellet "barely" kills the target at the farthest distance. That way I could get the job done, using minimal air and also eliminating any pellets traveling down range. 

Thanks,

Kmd

p.s. My next question is: Can I make a custom "power knob", replacing the existing one, and reduce the speed that way? I would think so, as this is how it is done already. Obviously. : )
I use expanding ammo. I shoot squirrels at 15 yards, and even with a .177 at 12.5 FPE and expanding ammo, head shots penetrate through most times. With body shots, they don't, but sometimes, 12.5 FPE isn't quite enough. 

I think 18 FPE is about right for a prarie dog, if you want to be able to take body shots. If it gets through, it's not doing to be carrying much energy on the exit side. Less velocity than that, and you have quite a loopy trajectory at 45 meters; I wouldn't want to deal with that.

With expanding ammo (I like H&N Baracuda Hunters; they shoot better than Extremes in my guns) they sometimes still get through, but after recovering a few nicely-mushroomed pellets, I feel pretty confident they don't have much energy upon exit. Baracuda Hunters are round-nose hollow points. They fly ALMOST as well as regular domes, but they hit a lot harder and cut bigger holes. You can probably get a small count tin to try, since you're shooting .25.

I'm not sure if oldspook was serious or not. But a TX200 DOES have the accuracy to place pellets in the kill zone of a ground hog at 45 meters, and with a flatter trajectory too. Body shots might be iffy. They'd end up being fatal, but never before the groundhog got back into his hole. You'd have to be OK with them dying underground. Head shots would do the trick, but since the pellet would only be carrying maybe 6 FPE at that range, they'll be quite sensitive to wind.

Reactions: kmd1984
"
I use expanding ammo. I shoot squirrels at 15 yards, and even with a .177 at 12.5 FPE and expanding ammo, head shots penetrate through most times. With body shots, they don’t, but sometimes, 12.5 FPE isn’t quite enough."
Interesting... 

"
I think 18 FPE is about right for a prarie dog, if you want to be able to take body shots. If it gets through, it’s not doing to be carrying much energy on the exit side. Less velocity than that, and you have quite a loopy trajectory at 45 meters; I wouldn’t want to deal with that."
I don't know man... When the pellets comes out the other side and travels down range, it hits a fence sometimes, and it make a hell of of a noise. Not sure how much energy it actually carries at that point, but it sounds scary. 

"With expanding ammo (I like H&N Baracuda Hunters; they shoot better than Extremes in my guns) they sometimes still get through, but after recovering a few nicely-mushroomed pellets, I feel pretty confident they don’t have much energy upon exit. Baracuda Hunters are round-nose hollow points. They fly ALMOST as well as regular domes, but they hit a lot harder and cut bigger holes. You can probably get a small count tin to try, since you’re shooting .25."
I guess I just need to get a can and try it. : )

Thanks for the input!

Kmd

In the UK 12fpe would do it , google UK hunt vids if you like, naturally many would like a bit more power but most hunters are 12fpe ( UNDER 12fpe) even in say a .25 springer.
I agree a TX200 . 177 would get the job done well. Your rig at 12fpe - or so - with shot placement will do the job, and you'll get very good at wind doping.
John

"spysir"In the UK 12fpe would do it , google UK hunt vids if you like, naturally many would like a bit more power but most hunters are 12fpe ( UNDER 12fpe) even in say a .25 springer.
I agree a TX200 . 177 would get the job done well. Your rig at 12fpe - or so - with shot placement will do the job, and you'll get very good at wind doping.
John
You're right. I totally forgot about "you guys". 😊. I remember seeing videos where people in the UK shoot rabbits, successfully, out to 60 yards. If a sub 12 fpe gun can do that to a rabbit, it should easily do it to a prairie dog!? However, I am not a vet, so who knows!? 😁

"Oregun"Gotta agree with the Brits... They've been shooting/hunting with 12 fpe's forever.
However, I like to shoot mine between 875 to 975 depending on gun, cal and weight of the pellet. Generally, this gives me the stability and accuracy out to 100yds with the Wildcat, Condor, S410 and the Sumatra.
+1 Thanks for the input...

Kmd