How long?

karl_h

Aug 11, 2020
sc
How long will he stay there? Need a betting pool.

He has been there for a little over 4 hours now, looks alive but I assure you he isn’t. Uragan 22 compact. Got two more within a foot or two of him in those 4 hours. Maybe he is acting as a decoy.

how long.png

@karl_h No telling. I forget which member it was, I think it was either @BackStop or @crowski that had a dead squirrel hung up in a tree for months.
Months? Hard to believe flesh didn't rot away in that amount of time, and skeleton falling apart. Half a day and he is still there, grabbed a decent flashlight and thought I saw something moving up there. Got my bino's out and looked with the flashlight, wind is making his tail blow back and forth. That might just attract an owl tonight. There are a few of them around the house, they come and go. Sometimes around a couple months, sometimes gone for 4 weeks or so. Mostly barred owls, have heard and seen the occasional great horned owl.

Months? Hard to believe flesh didn't rot away in that amount of time, and skeleton falling apart. Half a day and he is still there, grabbed a decent flashlight and thought I saw something moving up there. Got my bino's out and looked with the flashlight, wind is making his tail blow back and forth. That might just attract an owl tonight. There are a few of them around the house, they come and go. Sometimes around a couple months, sometimes gone for 4 weeks or so. Mostly barred owls, have heard and seen the occasional great horned owl.
@karl_h Yea I hear ya. You know I’ve found that AGN is a place where the incredible happens sometimes. With a worldwide membership weather varies from region to region. This member is in Canada. Found the link. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/update.1183190/

Read enough threads and you’ll come across all sorts of stories that go back years. After that, it’s up to us to discern fact from fiction or exaggeration. I’ve been surpised a few times on here.

Reactions: Miami Airgunner
@karl_h Yea I hear ya. You know I’ve found that AGN is a place where the incredible happens sometimes. With a worldwide membership weather varies from region to region. This member is in Canada. Found the link. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/update.1183190/

Read enough threads and you’ll come across all sorts of stories that go back years. After that, it’s up to us to discern fact from fiction or exaggeration. I’ve been surpised a few times on here.
Never gets that cold where I live, I can see that happening in colder northern lattitudes.

Still there looking the same, guess it's going to be there till it rots enough: no visible sign of degradation yet. Nothing wants to come eat it. For around here, it's been cold. Lows in upper 20's with highs around 50. Middle of the week it's supposed to warm up around here.
Well, I've still got until around 1pm tomorrow, so I'm not out of this yet. ;-)

Over 2 weeks and he is still there hanging, no real sign of decomposition. Just stepped out on the deck to smoke a cig and a large female red tail hawk flew into the tree, looked at it from less than 2 feet away and quickly flew away. Carrion not fresh enough for her, why couldn't she check it out the day I shot it. She and her smaller mate regularly hunt in my almost 2 acre front yard, can't believe she didn't notice it before.

I had a squirrel I shot run up my tree and disappear. Figure it wasn't a kill shot with no blood trail. Months went by and then I was out cleaning up the yard and trimming around the tree and I found the rotten carcass at the base of the tree. Wasn't there the week before when I was trimming. It was a husk, just a skull and backbone with the skin and a dehydrated tail.
Once it rots to nothing the wind will blow it out.

@karl_h No telling. I forget which member it was, I think it was either @BackStop or @crowski that had a dead squirrel hung up in a tree for months.
necroing my own thread, but I had to put this in. The damn squirrel is still up there. Over 6 months. Totally desiccated, just the very rear end of him the sun has bleached off the hide just a small amount showing a couple bones in his butt, otherwise it is completely whole still. I never would have guessed. Lots of storms with over 30mph winds, a few with gusts in the 50's, tons of rain, lots of warm weather in the last 6 months and nothing fazes it. I guess being 40 feet in the air must protect it from rotting or something.... I have no idea how it can still be there.