• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How long to break in Hw50 .22 and do loose pellets hurt a break barrel rifle?

I got my trigger adjusted and couple hundred more pellets through it. It has definitely smoothed out some. It definitely prefers the RWS and H&N FTT pellets over the JSBs. I chrony’d it again and it has slowed down a little so it’s probably no longer dieseling. The rws pellets produce the most energy so I might try some Super Domes.

This is a basement, small yard, and barn gun so wadcutters are probably my best bet anyway. 
It’s fun to test different pellets and see what happens. This has definitely become a fun hobby for me. 

ps: if anyone wants me to bore them with chrony data I’ll gladly put it up here.

Rws meister .22 599 fps 14 es 4 sd 

Jsb jumbo express 525fps 20 es 6 sd 

Rws hobby 623 fps 10 es 4 sd 

Jsb exact rs 529 fps 24 es 6 sd 

HN ftt 5.53 535 fps 23 es 6 sd 

HN ftt 5.54 557 fps 23 es 6 sd 

HN ftt 5.55 538 fps 16 es 5 sd 

crosman hp 567 fps 20 es 7 sd 

Meisterkugeln and Hobby are one hole in the basement. FTT all head sizes are slightly smaller groups. JSB jumbo express 14.35 are like a scattergun. JSB rs are one hole with a random 1” flyer here and there. Crosman hollow points are one hole with crazy flyer every now and again. 

My theory on the JSB jumbo express is they are longer pellets and may not be stabilizing at these slow velocities. 

What is standard deviation 

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/look-future-lead-free-pellets/

I read this and I’m not sure how I feel about the lead free stuff. The article says when tin oxidizes it produces an abrasive compound and could over time harm the barrel. The author is not a chemist and states in the article to take it with a grain of salt. This is from 2017 I’m not sure if it’s been debunked since then. I’m gonna stick with the lead for now. 

I read that article as well. I shoot the 9.56 and 12.65 Greens in my HW50S and Hw77. The author said take this with a grain of salt and pure speculation that the greens would damage the barrels. These pellets in my two rifles produce the best accuracy and fps in both my rifles so I’m staying with them until a more scientific answer is available. I also figure if the greens do damage the barrels I’ll be long gone by then and not worried about it or maybe run a few lead pellets through them after they have there turn on rotation.

Gary

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about trying the the alloys and ran across the article. I guess if anything was wrong with them it would be known by now. Air gunners seem to be a pretty smart group of folks. In the AEAC video on the Hw95 all he showed was the alloy pellets cause they produced the best results. I really like the idea of light weight pellets in the Hw50. I think I’ll give them a try. 
Thanks again.

1579732459_4876487145e28cdeb54d243.02583278_4B87C171-23B5-4CC1-BE79-7CC6EB17B972.jpeg

If you get the chance try the 9.56 Ftt’s, they are the most accurate in my HW50S. At 35 metres they will go through both sides of a pellet tin where as the lead FTT 14.65 will barely go through one side. I don’t think you will be disappointed. Also there is imo no difference in discharge noise between the two pellets. I suppose it would be equivalent to a 177 HW50S shooting a 10 grain pellet. Let us know how they go.

Gary

1579974669_1424772805e2c800d311202.61057350_EFEAC9FA-5808-4680-B961-B3BEDF372222.jpeg

I got some predator got 11.75 but no 9.56 ftt they are out of stock at pyramid air. Aoa had the ftt greens in stock but wanted too much for shipping. The Gto’s shot great. I had to clean the barrel and remount my scope because it was moving and only had time to shoot 5 pellets but they were the best group I shot in my life I think. Just kinda stacked on top of each other in the pellet trap. Thanks for recommending the lead free. In April I’ll order some 9.56 ftt greens when they are back in stock.