• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How long is it okay to let a magazine full on ammo ?

I tend to agree with those that say it’s ok. It seems that if a good spring steel was used it wouldn’t matter. I mean, look at vehicle suspension springs. These are always under load and cars don’t get lower and lower to the ground over time. I bet a car rides at the just about same height right off the assembly line than the does 20 years later, and the entire time it’s under load. I would thing that a mag spring is the same concept but on a much lighter and smaller scale 

I bought a Colt 1911 pistol and holster and 3 loaded magazine from a customer that inherited when his dad died who got it from his father. The pistol was made in 1913 and all of the mags were loaded the ammo was dated 1917. The customer told me they have been loaded since the pistol was brought back from world war 1. We took the pistol to the range and shot all 3 mags. All fed and functioned fine the springs still had plenty of tension after 100 years compressed. I'm sure todays springs are made of better steel so I don't think you will have any problems. 

However I could never not shoot any of my air guns or powder burners for more than a month or so.

Hi guys!

I happened to wonder if it would be a problem to let a magazine full on ammo for too long. 

I guess the spring tension will inevitably decrease making the magazine less functionnal.

What are your thoughts on the subject ?

You got pretty good answers here...I've left the magazine of my Daystate loaded since I bought the gun new some 3-4 years ago...Once springs have "settled" they remain with the same tension or compression force for a very long period of time, years if not decades. As stated in the first response, all springs loose a negligible amount of force after some use and this is what is considered a "Normal Settlement".

Best regards,

AZ

Hi guys!

I happened to wonder if it would be a problem to let a magazine full on ammo for too long. 

I guess the spring tension will inevitably decrease making the magazine less functionnal.

What are your thoughts on the subject ?

You got pretty good answers here...I've left the magazine of my Daystate loaded ever since I bought the gun new some 3-4 years ago...Once springs have "settled" they remain with the same tension or compression force for a very long period of time, years if not decades. As stated in the first response, all springs loose a negligible amount of force after some use and this is what is considered a "Normal Settlement". Keep in mind that manufacturers usually design their springs 15% to 20% above the max force required in order to cope with settlement and years of compression/tension cycles. 

Best regards,

AZ