How long can a pcp stay cocked without damaging?

Springs cant tell time. What is too long? This is a 2 hour spring and thats a 30 min one? Can i use the 30 for 15 min at a time from now on, or just twice before its been too long? Ever seen a garage door? Or the guts of a couch? Look under many cars or trailers springs in all, none with time limits.

The springs on overhead doors weaken and can be adjusted. They wouldn't need to sell replacements at Home Depot Etc if they didn't. Car and trailer springs wear and weaken as well. Most metro areas have spring and suspension shops. As for couch springs, that depends on how often you and the wife can't wait to get to the bedroom on how long they last.

Obviously a spring which is held under pressure in time will fail. The question to me is will this happen before or after my heart muscle fails . I’m betting on the spring 👍👍

Seems likely that all springs will "fail" if held under pressure (obviously is an opinion and worth what it's worth). The relevant question is how long does such a change take. As has been noted, magazines have been left fully loaded for long periods of time without "failing", several such instances noted by people in this thread. My handgun and AR magazines still function as designed and they have been left fully loaded for months at a time. And I doubt that there is any real difference in actual spring quality or special material involved from those springs to PCP hammer springs or springer powerplant springs. They just don't seem to fail as quickly or easily as many people seem to think. Leaving any hammer spring (or spring gun mainspring) cocked for a few hours would not, IMO, cause it to "fail". But there is an easy solution to this concern-don't do that if it is something you think will cause a problem.

Good points

Thanks. Just trying to be helpful, describing what I have actually experienced. Modern springs surely seem much more resilient than many people believe them to be. If you want to read more on the subject, search "scragging". It's a British term for how some treat their springs and I believe some have mentioned the methods here. Several discussions of springs and responses to different treatment will be found.

As an aside, when I was younger and more stupid we used to lower our cars by heating the end coils on the springs. Interesting that such a coil can sit for years with no change in ride height while under 24/7 load and while compressing and rebounding, but a little heat will settle the coil down as you watch. Wasn't too smart to do but it was interesting.

As mentioned spring guns are to be left cocked. Gas ram guns yo can. 

PCP IMO I would not leave the hammer spring under the battery load. Also for safety reasons I would not. I have receive several guns for repair where the guns were in battery and loaded. Not what I like to see so caution is always needed. Some springs after being compressed can take back their set but not all.

Over time IMO the hammer spring can lose its spring pressure. LEFT COCKED OR NOT. JMO