• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning How is my group?

I only have about 15 yards to work with, indoor range so no wind. .5” group, full mag of 16 at 910 fps with .25 HN Crow Magnums.

Velocity varied from 906-912 with one pellet at 920 because I shot before the reg caught up. All of my pesting is less than 30 yards. Should I keep working or does that look good?

IMG_0586.jpeg

I only have about 15 yards to work with, indoor range so no wind. .5” group, full mag of 16 at 910 fps with .25 HN Crow Magnums.

Velocity varied from 906-912 with one pellet at 920 because I shot before the reg caught up. All of my pesting is less than 30 yards. Should I keep working or does that look good?

View attachment 381924
I don't know, the group tends to be larger at long distance.. id myself consider it a good group of you are shooting open sights and pistol.. rifle should make a tighter group..
I also didn't understand what you meant by the one shot being faster because the regulator didn't catch up.. normally if the regulator is not caught up it has lower pressure than the sitting and also lower velocity.
Mark

I don't know, the group tends to be larger at long distance.. id myself consider it a good group of you are shooting open sights and pistol.. rifle should make a tighter group..
I also didn't understand what you meant by the one shot being faster because the regulator didn't catch up.. normally if the regulator is not caught up it has lower pressure than the sitting and also lower velocity.
Mark
It’s reproducible. I’ve seen other comments that essentially due to slight lower pressure maybe the hammer opens the valve longer?

It’s reproducible. I’ve seen other comments that essentially due to slight lower pressure maybe the hammer opens the valve longer?
ok well I guess that's possible, I wonder if you then set regulator pressure lower if you would gain velocity and use less air?
I'm not really familiar with tuning guns, just so far shot out of the box..
although I think mods are going to be happening to my notos to try to shorten it to 12" and possibly reduce the hammer spring and or regulator pressure.. I wanted a pistol but I found out that the moderator is molded on and 22" long is too long for a holster and I can't shoot it freehand..
also tempted to try turning down the hammer spring on the blitz.. it hard and fast.. I just don't know what adjustments I can do and still have semi auto
Mark

I would call it good if it was a 30 yard group. Will you be able to shoot the same 1/2“ group at 30 yards? Indoors, 15 yards? I would expect 1/8” to 1/4” as the norm with a good PCP. That said, as long as you’re properly “zero” all you get typically is that “first shot” at a pest. The pests at sub 30 yard aren’t going to protest or quibble over group size. Have at them pests, good luck.

Reactions: Dairyboy
That is a pretty nice group, not sure what you are shooting, maybe a Notos. That is a real nice group for Crow Mags in my experience. I would guess that your groups will open up considerably with the same pellet at 25 or 30 yards.
I would also bet that several other pellets will shoot tighter at 15 and hold a tight group at 25 or 30.
I'm not bashing H&N pellets in the least, several of my guns shoot Barracudas better than anything else. Some will shoot the Barracuda Hunters very well. No gun I own in 177 or 22 will shoot a Crow Magnum well enough that I would even plink with them.

View attachment 381924
Depends. How big are the "pests"? You don't often need BR competitive groups to dispatch pests.

Reactions: L.Leon
that was my thought as well, but it doesn’t seem to work that way. Something about a quick follow-up shot causes it. I’m not sure exactly what, though.
wondering if you can quickly look at the regulator pressure to see what it is for a quick repeat shot, might be slightly less and then I'd think your could adjust to there and get a few more shots with the same air.. I need to get a chronograph so I can see speed and make adjustments.. I'm sure not everything is perfect from the factory.
Mark

A good, properly tuned PCP shooting quality pellets should stack pellets at 15 yards.

Seeing this group I would test other pellets to see if they shot any better.

That being said, I've had people shooting large groups with my good pcps.

Before being concerned with the hardware (airgun, scope, ammo), presuming that screws are tight and scope parallax is properly adjusted, I would that a close look at the software (the shooter ;) ).

How consistent are you? Are you holding the same way (loose/tight, vertical/canted, hand position on forearm, finger on trigger, cheek weld)? Subtle differences will affect the group size.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers!