How heavy a pellet can I use in a Gammo Swarm Magnum Gen 3i that is .22?

I just bought a farmhouse that is overrun by squirrels- and I mean a LOT. It's been a 50+ year problem here because of the dense trees and years of nobody doing anything about it. Even though they are mostly out of the house, there are a zillion waiting to move in.

So I have narrowed down the variables of my hunting... instead of running around, I bring them to me, to the most ideal shooting spot.

I put up a small feeder, 60 feet away from a regular shooting spot that I can use where they don't see me coming, and I can check easily.

I will be shooting from this point every time, and because of the situation there won't ever be any wind.

I use Baracuda Match .22 Pellets that are 21 grain.

I'm under the impression too, that for short distances if I have enough power, the heavier the pellet, the more consistent the accuracy. Is that true?

And again, I'm using a new Gammo Swarm Magnum Gen 3i single pump that I just got.

To do the most damage, since I am not that far away, is my 21 grain pellet the heaviest possible? Is it more than enough, or is there an advantage for going lighter or heavier? I only got these because I saw a post where a few people had the best results with them, and before I double down and get a few more packages of these (since 20% - 40% are usually dented and damaged in shipping it seems from my experience and the reviews) is there a heavier one I can/should go for?

I do plan to get rid of a ground hog (about 35 pounds- it's huge) later on, so I'm looking for the most powerful option before there is a downside.

Thanks!

Pellet guns, even the same make and model, can vary pretty significantly with what they like unfortunately. Find a pellet that shoots well out of it and stick to it. Probably either the 15gr or 18gr JSB Domes but until you test them who knows. Some people have decent luck with Crosman Premier Hollow Point and the Domes but I haven't been so lucky. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: Basics
Oh and as a final note, don't worry about "damage". Break barrels, including that "magnum" of yours are inherently weak. You need proper shot placement more than anything else. More than a few of the springer guys here are using .177 pellets putting out less than half the power your gun is putting out to take squirrels at 40+ yards. Accuracy is key. Not power. Not expansion (which you likely aren't getting). Accuracy.

As far as that groundhog goes, those things will shake off a 22lr if it isn't placed right. You'll want to go for a headshot and hit them in the temple between the eye and ear. Taking plenty myself with my 97K which is only putting out 2/3 of what that Gamo is. In case I haven't made my point yet, accuracy is key.

Last edited:
Reactions: Basics