How hard would it be to build your own air rifle?

Ok, so for some time I have thought about the idea of building my own .45 or .50 cal rifle. The mechanics of air rifles seems pretty simple to me, but is it really?

Does anyone have any resources or ideas for someone like m? How would I source the parts? What kinds of things do I need to know before getting started?

Not that money is my reason but just curious, Would it be cheaper to build my rather than buy?

The basic mechanics of getting compressed air to push a projectile is simple & basic (i.e. potato gun). However the regulation of precise amounts of air, incredibly tight machining tolerances, materials to withstand high pressure, etc. is an art form unto itself. Personally I think I'd have an easier time building a TV from scratch than trying to build and attain the smoothness & accuracy that airgun manufacturers achieve today. Building one truly from scratch is miles above MY pay grade. If you've got the skills, tools & inclination to do it yourself I admire your capabilities! 

Reactions: anonymous_.457
Pretty easy actually. All you need is some pipe plumbing and plywood. The slingshot channel made a 1000 joules airgun. 

Guys above, you dont need million dollars milling machines or lathe. If this dude can make a 1000 joules airgun out of plywood and plumbing supplies. I'm sure anyone with the basic knowledge can make a basic airgun. You don't need to make airgun like a daystate delta or fx impact. A airgun basically have a airtube, valve, hammer, barrel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1U7TRDFjnFM

If you really want to make one. He also made this video that includes where to get all parts from Amazon. So yeah, no milling or lathe needed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SGMTEOcCyZw

well remembering how easy it was to make a shotgun from the guide in "the improvised munitions handbook" which was kind of a bible to us weird kids back then in the 70ties, well i would for sure take the challenge if i had a mill and a lathe.

I would of course buy the air tank and the barrel.

What was wholesome kids play back then ( we was barely teens ), today would land you a orange jumpsuit and a "hotel" stay in a undisclosed location,,,,,,, and they say the world are better today.

Reactions: 17dean and Brent
Pretty easy actually. All you need is some pipe plumbing and plywood. The slingshot channel made a 1000 joules airgun. 

Guys above, you dont need million dollars milling machines or lathe. If this dude can make a 1000 joules airgun out of plywood and plumbing supplies. I'm sure anyone with the basic knowledge can make a basic airgun. You don't need to make airgun like a daystate delta or fx impact. A airgun basically have a airtube, valve, hammer, barrel.

That's pretty awesome but I am talking specially about a big bore rifle, not a little pea shooter. But that project is pretty cool still.

well remembering how easy it was to make a shotgun from the guide in "the improvised munitions handbook" which was kind of a bible to us weird kids back then in the 70ties, well i would for sure take the challenge if i had a mill and a lathe.

I would of course buy the air tank and the barrel.

What was wholesome kids play back then ( we was barely teens ), today would land you a orange jumpsuit and a "hotel" stay in a undisclosed location,,,,,,, and they say the world are better today.
Yeah a lot of the stuff we experimented with as kids would definitely get you a jump suit and an extended stay somewhere today.