• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How good is your ranging if you "eye ball" it?

I was a long range groundhog hunter and archer for a good 20 years before laser rangefinders were available. So I just kinda developed the ability to say that groundhog is right around 700 yards. But also use a gun that could make up for slight errors. Out to 100 yards is almost a no brainer for me except at night when using night vision. That has been quite a chore but I’m getting better. I don‘t have time in most hunting situations to piss with a rangefinder because things happen quickly. So I just focus on developing the natural skill. With the aid of a rangefinder nowadays thankfully. For me I go with the first distance that pops in my head. The more I overthink the distance, the farther off I get.

You can SEE a groundhog at 700 yards!?!

Heck, I'd have issues at 200! OK, that's a real story. Mr. Waddles was about 200y away on the dry bean field, I held 6 mils and came up short by a lot!

8 mils and still came up short and skipped under his belly.

I paced it off and it was 405 yards...

Obviously I am horrible at rangefinding.

• Haha
Reactions: Perle
I don’t eyeball range, at known distances, like in my plinking kingdom? I can, because it’s my “kingdom”. In the field, if in a known location, where my distances have been established? Yes. If traipsing about afield? I use a range finder, a few unfortunate and unsettling hits on small critters drove it home. At worst I miss an opportunity…

Reactions: rcs9250
Pending what your trying to do, what your shooting etc ...

Out in the field with my .17HMR, anything I can see naked eye is inside 150 yards and Hold is +/- 1/2" & NO BIG DEAL.
Out shooting Field target 10-55 yards with an air rifle .... Unless you KNOW the range of all target inside or outside your zero range .. lostsa luck on doing very well.

That's relativity to your Question ;)
Well, the .17HMR is a friggin' laser, pure point and click, which reminds me, I need to take mine out (A17) again and see what I screwed up when I put on a fancy stock.

• Haha
Reactions: Motorhead
Are your range guesses ever WAY off??

If I guess a range (before confirming with my rangefinder) I am usually pretty accurate inside 200 yards.

Inside 100 yards, I am usually no more than 5-7 yards off....and inside 200 yards I am never really more than 10-13 yards off. BUT today I had a few where I was WAY WAYYYYYY off. Does this happen to you??

I ranged a target that I thought was 80 yards away but it was only 62 yards off, then another which seems to me to be the same distance as the other (so 62 yards) ended up only being 41 yards away!! One ranged way long, the other way short.

Being 20 yards off when the target is only 60 yards away is awful!!! ::embarrassed::

Make me feel better, tell me I am not alone here
Sounds like you need to eat more carrots. Should gain you a few yards back.

Reactions: KevinWood44
I like technology. 😊
I like range finders, they are fascinating. 🤩

However, I also carefully calculate my ideal zero for a certain gun/ power/ projectile/ shooting scenario.
In order that I might not need to use a range finder while my quarry is inside my point blank range (PBR). 👍🏼

Beyond my PBR, I always try to use a range finder — as my guns aren't that powerful and most of my shots are with pellets — which translates into fairly quick drops beyond the PBR.

📊 BTW, I recently made a new Specs Table, this time for range finders.
For the SIG Kilo1000 through 2400 line (16 models in all).

I like their looks, their specs. And their used-prices are coming down.

To help me shop I wanted to be able to compare the specs side-by-side.

➔ The Specs Table is posted here:

Cheers, 😊

Matthias

A number of years ago I did a talk at a longrange specialty pistol shoot in WY on reticle rangefinding. Oddly, One of the guys there actually had an interest in it. So we had his setup at the range next day, and we were calcing range to the targets out to 1000 best we could with his optic. One of the targets wasn't giving us a good range--we were off by 30 yds or so. So after mulling around about it for awhile, I picked up the laser and it was very close to the calcd range not what we were told it was. That was reassuring.