How far do you think your slugs could go

One reason I like air rifles shooting pellets is the maximum distance an errant pellet can go is something like 400 yards. So, with a good knowledge of your surroundings, you could take a shot at a squirrel out on a branch. With a rimfire rifle you want a backstop since that bullet can go a LOT farther.

Now air gunners can drive .22 cal 40gr slugs upwards of 1000fps. I wonder how far those can go? Anyone have an educated guess, anecdotal evidence, or some numbers they have run? 

I wonder how hollow slugs, like FX hybrids, fly. They must have a low ballistic coefficient compared to a solid slug, but must travel farther than a pellet. I wonder how much.

Just to be clear, not at all criticizing use of slugs at high speeds, I am sure people are being safe. I am mostly curious.

You can download ballistics software and plug in the values to get your answer. ChairGun Pro is still available and free. Although it is no longer supported or updated, it is still used by thousands of people, myself included. It is free and safe if downloaded from the link above.

Or you might prefer Strelok. I don't have the safe link for Strelok, but you can look for it yourself. I think there is a free and pay verison.

A mile is certainly in play with a 40 grain slug at 1000 fps fired at a high angle. I'd have to set it up in CGP and need a good BC to give a better answer than that.

Suffice it to say EASILY three times as far as a pellet at the same muzzle velocity.

I think I need to check how far my 10.5 grain .177 pellets *might* travel at ~750fps. I already know the FPE, but never have used ChairGun Pro to see how far that pellet can travel under optimal conditions with the optimal inclination.

Just wandering and wondering... (smile)

A mile is certainly in play with a 40 grain slug at 1000 fps fired at a high angle. I'd have to set it up in CGP and need a good BC to give a better answer than that.

Suffice it to say EASILY three times as far as a pellet at the same muzzle velocity.

I think I need to check how far my 10.5 grain .177 pellets *might* travel at ~750fps. I already know the FPE, but never have used ChairGun Pro to see how far that pellet can travel under optimal conditions with the optimal inclination.

Just wandering and wondering... (smile)

;)

CHH-177.1652033421.jpg

Now air gunners can drive .22 cal 40gr slugs upwards of 1000fps. I wonder how far those can go? Anyone have an educated guess, anecdotal evidence, or some numbers they have run?

Three fourths of a mile, with no tail wind. Terminal velocity will likely be in the hundreds of feet per second. I did not run that, sorry.

highbc.1652210396.jpg