• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How does the AGT Uragan 2 compare with the AGT Vulcan 3 – for long range Slug Shooting?

For long range slug shooting – How does the AGT Uragan 2 compare with the AGT Vulcan 3?

I'm looking into getting a dedicated slug gun....
So, how does the Uragan 2 compare to the Vulcan 3?

🔵 What are the pro's and con's of each?

🔵 Or would you suggest another gun instead?
It's got to be a bullpup.
And if at all possible, I prefer to keep wood in the woods, and furniture in the living room – not on my guns.... 😄

🔵 What caliber – and why? (I'm planning to swage my own slugs – after Peruvian customs have confiscated my pellets that were in a suitcase. 😣)

Thanks for your comments and suggestions! 👍

Matthias

Last edited:
Reactions: RodrigoR
Power wise uragan 2 n vulcan 3 are the same, to get the best tune would be great to have a regulator tester not aviable yet for either platform .only uragan 1 has regulator tester in the market . Second generation uragan and vulcan 3 will allow you to use heavy slugs.. .22 and .30 would be my preferred caliber for long shots. Me personally have not managed to have luck with the .25 . But the 257 caliber has worked awesome.. and the bulldog is coming out in .257 is a light and powerful .there is nothing better than real bullets for long range.. for this caliber you could cast bullets.. or sway slugs to .. but is not regulated.

Very different guns but both seem to be able to shoot slugs to a similar level, at least in 0.22. I'm sure you know already, but heads up anyway - the uragan 2 shares very little in common with the uragan 1.

The uragan 2 has a balanced valve vs the vulcan having a normal valve with a bigger heavier hammer. The shot cycle on the uragan 2 is much calmer and more pleasant at similar and much higher power levels.

Both are capable of massive power if you are willing to jack up the regulator. The plenum is bigger on the vulcan, while the valve is more potent on the uragan 2. In 0.22 at least they seem to cancel out with no worthwhile advantage to either.
The uragan comes from the factory set to about 970fps with 25gr slugs, while the vulcan 3's have been set to around 900-910fps.

Both have pretty similar ergonomics overall.

Both have solid regs and are able to produce consistent velocities, but the uragan 2 is generally slightly more so in my experience.

Both have the same barrel but the earlier vulcan 3's had a smallish oval port vs the uragan 2's large dual, bridged port. That makes quite a difference overall. Not sure if the vulcan 3 has since been changed over.

The barrels they come with are exceptionally good, but several I've had through my hands have had sharp 90 degree transitions to rifling in the throat (Friday afternoon at the factory?), which caused major problems until corrected. Afterwards they're stupidly accurate and don't foul.

The uragan 2's valve can be fettled with to get better air efficiency without loss of power, but in the high power variants it's really not necessary.

Overall I personally prefer the uragan 2.

Very different guns but both seem to be able to shoot slugs to a similar level, at least in 0.22. I'm sure you know already, but heads up anyway - the uragan 2 shares very little in common with the uragan 1.

The uragan 2 has a balanced valve vs the vulcan having a normal valve with a bigger heavier hammer. The shot cycle on the uragan 2 is much calmer and more pleasant at similar and much higher power levels.

Both are capable of massive power if you are willing to jack up the regulator. The plenum is bigger on the vulcan, while the valve is more potent on the uragan 2. In 0.22 at least they seem to cancel out with no worthwhile advantage to either.
The uragan comes from the factory set to about 970fps with 25gr slugs, while the vulcan 3's have been set to around 900-910fps.

Both have pretty similar ergonomics overall.

Both have solid regs and are able to produce consistent velocities, but the uragan 2 is generally slightly more so in my experience.

Both have the same barrel but the earlier vulcan 3's had a smallish oval port vs the uragan 2's large dual, bridged port. That makes quite a difference overall. Not sure if the vulcan 3 has since been changed over.

The barrels they come with are exceptionally good, but several I've had through my hands have had sharp 90 degree transitions to rifling in the throat (Friday afternoon at the factory?), which caused major problems until corrected. Afterwards they're stupidly accurate and don't foul.

The uragan 2's valve can be fettled with to get better air efficiency without loss of power, but in the high power variants it's really not necessary.

Overall I personally prefer the uragan 2.

Macros,

That is very helpful information, detailed, and backed up by experience.

Thank you very much!! 👍🏼

Matthias

Reactions: jakeb and Macros
For long range slug shooting I prefer the uragan 2 for its calmer shot cycle and tighter ES. The ergonomics suit me better too.
The uragan 2 is a little simpler to tune if needed, given its basically a matter of adjusting reg pressure only, while the vulcan needs the usual HST/reg harmonizing.
If you aren't keen on tuning a lot/at all for long range, go uragan 2 as it's set up well for 25-28gr slugs (970 &935fps respectively) from the factory, while the Vulcan is closer to 900 with 25gr, so a little more limited.
Neither are very slug picky but the best I've found thus far by some margin have been the 28gr Zan and the 25gr H&N in 0.217. 0.218 worked well on the H&N too in the one gun at least. 0.218 Zan were poor. Some 36 gr rebated boat tail slugs that are locally made shoot amazingly well in the one uragan I significantly upped in power at around 970fps.

As mentioned before though, I think you'll be able to achieve similar overall results at long range with whichever you choose, probably more affected by which you are more comfortable using.

Last edited:
Reactions: jemkewl
For long range slug shooting I prefer the uragan 2 for its calmer shot cycle and tighter ES. The ergonomics suit me better too.
The uragan 2 is a little simpler to tune if needed, given its basically a matter of adjusting reg pressure only, while the vulcan needs the usual HST/reg harmonizing.
If you aren't keen on tuning a lot/at all for long range, go uragan 2 as it's set up well for 25-28gr slugs (970 &935fps respectively) from the factory, while the Vulcan is closer to 900 with 25gr, so a little more limited.
Neither are very slug picky but the best I've found thus far by some margin have been the 28gr Zan and the 25gr H&N in 0.217. 0.218 worked well on the H&N too in the one gun at least. 0.218 Zan were poor. Some 36 gr rebated boat tail slugs that are locally made shoot amazingly well in the one uragan I significantly upped in power at around 970fps.

As mentioned before though, I think you'll be able to achieve similar overall results at long range with whichever you choose, probably more affected by which you are more comfortable using.
With the 22 uragan 2, would it be possible to share what distances are possible for paper plinking a "ragged hole"?

With the 22 uragan 2, would it be possible to share what distances are possible for paper plinking a "ragged hole"?
That's quite a difficult question to answer I'm afraid, since I set them up at 50m and then a little at over 100m.
After that it's up to the guys whose guns I'm setting up to test and play with.

They have all been easily capable of very small ragged holes at 50m once tuned correctly and the barrel throat/rifling transition angle corrected if needed. All have been quite capable of shooting under MOA 100m, shooter and conditions depending. With my personal gun I've gone 10 for 10 DRT pigeons at 140m, as well as 2 in a row first impact clean pigeon kills at 203m on the same (good weather) day. So as good as anything out there I think. They certainly hang with my FX Panthera which is also really good.

Reactions: jemkewl
Macros,
I recently got a .30cal Uragan 2 CF.
Today I took it apart and added an African air ordnance power upgrade kit.
When I was looking at the transfer port, it is just a single oval port.
Is it just the .22 & 25cal that have the bridged transfer port?

It came shooting 44gn @ 995 fps.
After turning up the reg pressure 1/4 turn and adding a stiffer spring & heavier hammer, 700cc bottle I'm now getting 44gn to 1040fps and spread of a 2 fps between 10 shots.
Reg was @ 160bar to start as per what was written on the reg body.
Its got plenty power.
haven't shot further then 25yards yet, as it came Friday evening-
but it show promise with several NSA slugs and the FX hybrids.

My method was fairly MacGyvered in that I made a bit for my dremel that holds a small rectangle of sandpaper so that it looks like a small flag. I made it to bridge the sharp edged transition by 4mm either side and when spun fast the paper drags along the surface. Did it with 800,1200 and 2000 grit and the result was a nice smooth shallow ramp.
I have heard of some using shaped cratex tips and others I think have more serious tooling, but this worked well for me. Can't even get cratex here that I'm aware of.

When slugging the barrel it was initially as if the slug was jamming into a tight spot before suddenly feeling loose. The slug had a 'frilly' skirt afterwards because of the lead being pulled back. I seem to have lost those pics. But now the slug goes in with smoothly increasing resistance and smoothly thereafter, looking like this at the end.

8329be5a-acd5-445b-b18f-0893077cbca3.jpeg

Macros,
I recently got a .30cal Uragan 2 CF.
Today I took it apart and added an African air ordnance power upgrade kit.
When I was looking at the transfer port, it is just a single oval port.
Is it just the .22 & 25cal that have the bridged transfer port?

It came shooting 44gn @ 995 fps.
After turning up the reg pressure 1/4 turn and adding a stiffer spring & heavier hammer, 700cc bottle I'm now getting 44gn to 1040fps and spread of a 2 fps between 10 shots.
Reg was @ 160bar to start as per what was written on the reg body.
Its got plenty power.
haven't shot further then 25yards yet, as it came Friday evening-
but it show promise with several NSA slugs and the FX hybrids.
I don't know?
We only have up to 0.22 legally here.
I'd suggest taking the AAO hammer spacer and spring out of the gun and trying with the OEM stuff first. It opens my friends valve just fine, shooting 36gr boat tails near 1000fps with a reg pressure of around 180 bar. He installed the AAO kit before that and I had to go in and replace his valve bumper oring within a few weeks... Followed by removing the AAO stuff. Whether the bumper was maybe damaged/faulty to start I don't know but if the OEM hammer parts open your valve fine, why whack it any harder?

Last edited:
Macros
Thanks for the input.
I haven't seen a huge amount of info about the uragan 2 so it's much appreciated.

I think I have seen an improvement in velocity from the heavy hammer-then again It could be just from my regulator adjustment.
What you were describing in your buddys gun, it Does not sound worth it if I'm going to break things.
Maybe I'll pull the hammer and just adjust the reg for now.
Im wanting to shoot a 60-65gn Slug at something in the 900s (or where ever the slugs I have in that range like it.)
At first I was in the high 700s with crummy accuracy.
After the last reg turn up I'm in the mid 800s
I've enclosed a pic of the transfer port from the .30 cal in case any one is interested.

20230516_152938.jpg

Seems that way! Perhaps your reg pressure is higher than I expected. Certainly higher than my friend's.
These balanced valves are almost 'all or nothing' but when you are on the verge they can get into a sort of partial valve lock. Happens on the prophet 2 if the HST is a fraction below what's needed.
Up to you I guess - with a very high pressure the kit components may well be okay, since the hammer impact will be somewhat cushioned by the increased opening force required as well as the more quickly increasing pressure in the balance chamber 🤷‍♂️
If it does eventually cause issues, the replacement of that oring is really simple too.

Reactions: Heyucombs
Seems that way! Perhaps your reg pressure is higher than I expected. Certainly higher than my friend's.
These balanced valves are almost 'all or nothing' but when you are on the verge they can get into a sort of partial valve lock. Happens on the prophet 2 if the HST is a fraction below what's needed.
Up to you I guess - with a very high pressure the kit components may well be okay, since the hammer impact will be somewhat cushioned by the increased opening force required as well as the more quickly increasing pressure in the balance chamber 🤷‍♂️
If it does eventually cause issues, the replacement of that oring is really simple too.
Macros,
Turns out that I did not need the heavy hammer & spring.
The low velocity I was experiencing was the result of the bolt not beeing completely in battery.
The Dimond shaped QR bolts on my eagle vision 34mm rings were keeping the bolt a tiny bit open and I was loosing air from the breach.
I noticed a strong smell of "air tank" as I was shooting after my post, and realized what was going on.
I re-removed the AAO hammer etc and low and behold-1030fps On the chronograph.
So you were correct sir, It is indeed unnecessary (at this point on MY particular rifle) for me to use the heavy stuff to open the valve. Im also seeing good dwell time with the factory set up- because I'm seeing more consistent velocity/ tighter ES.

Thank you again for the input.
This is what make this place so worth checking at least a couple times a week (or day😂)

Macros,
Turns out that I did not need the heavy hammer & spring.
The low velocity I was experiencing was the result of the bolt not beeing completely in battery.
The Dimond shaped QR bolts on my eagle vision 34mm rings were keeping the bolt a tiny bit open and I was loosing air from the breach.
I noticed a strong smell of "air tank" as I was shooting after my post, and realized what was going on.
I re-removed the AAO hammer etc and low and behold-1030fps On the chronograph.
So you were correct sir, It is indeed unnecessary (at this point on MY particular rifle) for me to use the heavy stuff to open the valve. Im also seeing good dwell time with the factory set up- because I'm seeing more consistent velocity/ tighter ES.

Thank you again for the input.
This is what make this place so worth checking at least a couple times a week (or day😂)
Awesome 👍 glad to help!

Reactions: Mauipilikia
I'm considering buying the Uragan 2 600mm. I want to run 56 grain Pellets from Zan, but it sounds like there's not enough power to sling those pellets in stock formation. So maybe I should buy from Talon and ask him to turn the power up??? Or maybe I should just stick to slinging the 44 grain pellets.

On the power side, if the Zan pellets don't shoot good out to 100, then I would have the extra power to sling slugs......even though I don't want to sling slugs. But slugs may perform better at 100 yards???