• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

How do you store your FT targets

This is a question for other FT clubs who have 30+ FT targets to store each month.

How do you store and care for your targets between matches? We have traditionally kept ours in Home Depot Homer buckets along with the strings and clamps. This has worked well enough but searching through targets to setup the course for the next match can be rather tedious. This has become even more tedious with our recent acquisitions that put our inventory at over 125 targets.

Do you have any novel storage ideas that would make the targets easier to find when searching and perhaps even protect them from damage by banging into other targets or being at the bottom of the pile?

Please share your ideas. Pics are a plus.

Big Black Tubs with the yellow lids hold our FT's ( Currently club has @ 65 in rotation )
Smaller Tubs the Winders and block Clamps
CMU blocks on a small harbor freight trailer

Match to match ALL the tubs & sight in paper etc goes into an old Blasting cabinet and locked up on site, trailer parked along side.

thumbnailgh.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloud9AG
At Pecan, there near the end, we made shelves up high on the wall (so other things could be stored underneath). All the targets had a number on the back and we lined them up starting at #1 thru #70. Prior to that they were in tubs and we had the same complaints you have.
This is what I was thinking. Some way to safely store them, yet make them easily visible and available to select for the next course layout. Sometimes going through buckets to find the proper target takes up to 30 minutes. I am envisioning something like a giant shoe rack with angled shelves so you can see the targets.

Reactions: beerthief
1702925499743.jpeg

This is our storage area. In an ideal world, the targets are organized by size. Those boxes fit in that trailer, and that gets pulled by a golf cart. The boxes don't last forever, but they do the job. Typically, 3-4 years. It's all how they are placed in the boxes... less is more. Rack by Costco, boxes by Home Depot. Enter promo code Garrett20 for your discount.

Last edited:
I'm telling you, we just need 10 or 15 of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/42-3-in...or-Entryway-Hallway-DRF-KF200198-02/321601535 only $1,500 or so.

Or we could step up to this: https://odditymall.com/custom-auto-rotating-closet-shoe-rack

Why don't we get 15 large tubs that will hold 10 targets each. Number the tubs, so tub 1 would hold targets 1-10, 2 would hold 11-20, etc. Our large shelves should hold 12 tubs, so there's 120 targets. Stack 3 tubs behind the small shelves for the other 30 targets. Winders, clamps and match supplies would go in buckets on the small shelves. Move the ice chest behind the small shelves next to the 3 tubs to make everything more accessible. We would need to figure out the size we need. I kind of like the ones Garrett uses with the integrated lids, but I think they might be 12 gallons and that might not be big enough. But we can usually get 5 targets in a 5 gallon bucket, so maybe 12 gallons would be big enough for 10 targets.

Boom. I fixed it. Let me know when it's done and I'll go check and see if you did it right.

Reactions: SniperX
I'm telling you, we just need 10 or 15 of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/42-3-in...or-Entryway-Hallway-DRF-KF200198-02/321601535 only $1,500 or so.

Or we could step up to this: https://odditymall.com/custom-auto-rotating-closet-shoe-rack

Why don't we get 15 large tubs that will hold 10 targets each. Number the tubs, so tub 1 would hold targets 1-10, 2 would hold 11-20, etc. Our large shelves should hold 12 tubs, so there's 120 targets. Stack 3 tubs behind the small shelves for the other 30 targets. Winders, clamps and match supplies would go in buckets on the small shelves. Move the ice chest behind the small shelves next to the 3 tubs to make everything more accessible. We would need to figure out the size we need. I kind of like the ones Garrett uses with the integrated lids, but I think they might be 12 gallons and that might not be big enough. But we can usually get 5 targets in a 5 gallon bucket, so maybe 12 gallons would be big enough for 10 targets.

Boom. I fixed it. Let me know when it's done and I'll go check and see if you did it right.
That’s how we initially did it. 1-10. 11-20 etc. Those grey boxes we use hold 10 targets easy. Started that way for us. Now they hold even more if we get lazy.

Good idea, Scott, but it will quickly get out of control because you can’t count to 10 let alone 122, and won’t be able to keep the numbered targets in the corresponding tubs. LOL sounds like another task that I’ll have to keep up with.

Good idea, Scott, but it will quickly get out of control because you can’t count to 10 let alone 122, and won’t be able to keep the numbered targets in the corresponding tubs. LOL sounds like another task that I’ll have to keep up with.
Sounds like a management problem. I earn every penny you pay me.
The reason why I use base 8 for counting is because I always have to have two fingers in reserve to show you what I think about your leadership.

Here's the moment when you learned how to count to 1. I've never been more proud. (Image blurred for copyright reasons)

20231216_120410.jpg

This is a question for other FT clubs who have 30+ FT targets to store each month.

How do you store and care for your targets between matches? We have traditionally kept ours in Home Depot Homer buckets along with the strings and clamps. This has worked well enough but searching through targets to setup the course for the next match can be rather tedious. This has become even more tedious with our recent acquisitions that put our inventory at over 125 targets.

Do you have any novel storage ideas that would make the targets easier to find when searching and perhaps even protect them from damage by banging into other targets or being at the bottom of the pile?

Please share your ideas. Pics are a plus.
Well in my little backyard FT land (since theft isn't an issue) i have homes for my FT children/targets... come summer the concern will be hornets. The barrels double as reflective sound catchers - reduces sound reflection off the back of the metal surfaces and contains the splatter so its easier to clean up. Next mission is to camouflage the barrel with foilage so no one sees anything from the sides.... When family functions require a complete clean up, i get out the riding mower with a choo choo train trailer rig and set them brick and all onto the trailer. 20 targets doesn't take that long to pick up or put out but i'm only walking 100 yards or less.
IMG_6887.jpeg

Reactions: woogie_man
Sounds like a management problem. I earn every penny you pay me.
The reason why I use base 8 for counting is because I always have to have two fingers in reserve to show you what I think about your leadership.

Here's the moment when you learned how to count to 1. I've never been more proud. (Image blurred for copyright reasons)

View attachment 416983
Scott, I'm going to lobby for higher wages and boycott the matches until Jeff DOUBLES your salary. You provide an invaluable service to the greater good of ASC.

Reactions: OkAirgunner
Scott, I'm going to lobby for higher wages and boycott the matches until Jeff DOUBLES your salary. You provide an invaluable service to the greater good of ASC.
Don’t tell Scott stuff like that. He will get on a power trip again. Think of Jeff as Sheriff Taylor and Scott as Barney Fife. If Andy doesn’t keep Barney in check the whole town goes into chaos.