• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other How do you store your airguns?

Saw a post today that got me thinking. I am moving away from storing my air guns in a soft case to storing them on floor racks. I use Balistol or Breakfree CLP to lube the outside so not sure if that attracts dust and if the dust would stick. Probably just wipe them down after I shoot them. Besides all the stacked gun cases falling over each other, I read that gun cases attract moisture. My basement has a dehumidifier in it but I did have a firearm rust some on the outside when I did not clean it for a week. I must have stripped the oil protectant when my sweaty hands were on it. I do not have small kids around and the basement is alarmed so not concerned about security, just protecting my airguns from rust. Note I have no room for wall racks. Was wondering what others do. Note I did not see a thread on storing vs rusting but please point me to it if this topic has been discussed before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hhall1
JDR,
Bought an overpriced ($70 Amazon) 7-gun rack that looks like a wood shop project, did give an idea on how to make my own, though. Here's three, very simple, weathered one sits on back porch, got tired of holding gun in lap. WM
IMG_20230329_145926.jpg
IMG_20230329_150358.jpg

I'm going to build a big safe for the house, which will include a gun safe. Likely will make it out of a mix of stainless steel sheet and panzerholz, which is the granddaddy of "stabilized wood". It's roughly the equivalent of aluminum -- it's typically used to build bullet-proof vehicles and fancy audiophile gear.

another thought.. might be suitable for you or not.. some of us welders have various ways we store arc welding rod . the flux is very affected by moisture and well you can easily cut instead of weld just by dunking the rod in water.. so we have to always keep them dry, once they get wet, they pretty much end up as scrap.. so some people build their own body with shelves to put the rod holder e and inside they put a regular light bulb.. 24-60 watt just makes enough heat to keep dry.. others use a old refrigerator and wire a light inside and it's better because it is gasket sealed..
if you use the moisture absorbent, when it gets wet you can put it in a metal container and put it in the oven and dry it right out.. for reuse..
myself I keep my firearms in the safe, just because of state law and the airguns are next to it leaning against the wall..
you'll just have to figure out what works best for you..
and it's best if you keep a rag you have used to oil and wipe the gun down after use.. moisture and sweat are not good for the finish.. it's why I like keeping a rag that already has a little oil on it..
Mark

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
The biggest problem with using cases is when one wants to shoot the gun they usually take case and gun outside. Then when the case is opened the sweating begins. Then the gun is returned to to case, brought back inside the house and the rusting process is in full bloom. I store all my airguns spring and gas piston, upright in my climate controlled gun safe. Every gun gets wiped down, even if I just handle it and have touched any metal part, before going back in the safe. Silicone rag with Triflow lubricant sprayed in the rag. Never had rust on a gun in over 30 years. If you oil the jaws of a barrel cocker, be sure to blow out excess oil before putting back upright. Oil has a way of getting into the chamber port in not careful.

These work very well. As BG stated, oiled cloth is in each safe. Take a rifle out, put it into a case for usage. Return the rifle and wipe it down thoroughly. PB’s get cleaned prior to return then wiped down accordingly.

Reactions: JDR and markhooper
The biggest problem with using cases is when one wants to shoot the gun they usually take case and gun outside. Then when the case is opened the sweating begins. Then the gun is returned to to case, brought back inside the house and the rusting process is in full bloom. I store all my airguns spring and gas piston, upright in my climate controlled gun safe. Every gun gets wiped down, even if I just handle it and have touched any metal part, before going back in the safe. Silicone rag with Triflow lubricant sprayed in the rag. Never had rust on a gun in over 30 years. If you oil the jaws of a barrel cocker, be sure to blow out excess oil before putting back upright. Oil has a way of getting into the chamber port in not careful.
Yup, that what happened to me. Wife would kill me if I bought another guns safe or gun locker. I did buy a cheap rack on Amazon but afraid to look at it. If junk, will return and build my own.

Reactions: markhooper
Yup, that what happened to me.
When I put a gun in a case and take it outside, when I come back in I leave the case open for several hours. Gun gets wiped down and goes back in safe or on wall depending which one we’re talking about. Close case and hang it back after a couple hours. This will also work if you’re leaving the gun in the case. BoG and I both live in environments that promote rust. Heat, humidity, and saltwater. If mine don’t rust doing the above yours shouldn’t either! Case material also matters. Foam cases more likely to promote rust. I use soft lined cases by BSA or Boyt.

Saw a post today that got me thinking. I am moving away from storing my air guns in a soft case to storing them on floor racks. I use Balistol or Breakfree CLP to lube the outside so not sure if that attracts dust and if the dust would stick. Probably just wipe them down after I shoot them. Besides all the stacked gun cases falling over each other, I read that gun cases attract moisture. My basement has a dehumidifier in it but I did have a firearm rust some on the outside when I did not clean it for a week. I must have stripped the oil protectant when my sweaty hands were on it. I do not have small kids around and the basement is alarmed so not concerned about security, just protecting my airguns from rust. Note I have no room for wall racks. Was wondering what others do. Note I did not see a thread on storing vs rusting but please point me to it if this topic has been discussed before.

I really like this one, when security is not an issue. Excellent workmanship.
Made by FORT SANDLOT GUNSTANDS, they come in a variety of capacities and wood choices. I think mine is called a vertical folding stand on their website.
I saw what looked like one for sale on an airgun website recently also, maybe Airgun Warriors?

20230818_140340.jpg

20230818_140354.jpg

20230818_140414.jpg

Yup, that what happened to me. Wife would kill me if I bought another guns safe or gun locker. I did buy a cheap rack on Amazon but afraid to look at it. If junk, will return and build my own.

Linked gun rack similar to mine, maybe a more "modern" design with cut-out sides and open bottom tray. Link shows unavailable, you must have last one. I've no children in my household so prefer storing this way for air circulation. WM

@moleeye - thanks for the vendor name, my google fu is strong today.

OK, fair warning - this is a VERY dangerous website! I think I will take one if each! Those brindle rifle and pistol cases! Get a matching set for the 1894 Classic and the Super Blackhawk. Hubba hubba!

I really like this one, when security is not an issue. Excellent workmanship.
Made by FORT SANDLOT GUNSTANDS, they come in a variety of capacities and wood choices. I think mine is called a vertical folding stand on their website.
I saw what looked like one for sale on an airgun website recently also, maybe Airgun Warriors?

View attachment 381710

View attachment 381711

View attachment 381712
to be fair your collection looks wonderful and horrible at the same time 🤣🤣 so many wonderful toys.. how do you ever figure out what one to choose 🤣🤣id need a matching rack outside and lots of trips back and forth.. but then I'd be too tired to have any fun with them.. I'd love to have a collection like yours but I have 4 and they are a lot different, so that makes it easier to decide what to use, although sometimes I take 2 out
Mark

Reactions: moleeye
i look at safes as holding 1/2 of what the declared use is , if it says 6 rifles it means NO scopes , only iron sights and if you do not mind removing half of the rifles to get to the other half .
i think in your case a home built rack (with space between rifles) and a dust cover .

If you did get some surface rust (not real bad). I have been told this works and does not damage the bluing if used correctly. Plan to try it next week on the gun that has some rust.

to be fair your collection looks wonderful and horrible at the same time 🤣🤣 so many wonderful toys.. how do you ever figure out what one to choose 🤣🤣id need a matching rack outside and lots of trips back and forth.. but then I'd be too tired to have any fun with them.. I'd love to have a collection like yours but I have 4 and they are a lot different, so that makes it easier to decide what to use, although sometimes I take 2 out
Mark

You must try harder! :)

• Haha
@moleeye - thanks for the vendor name, my google fu is strong today.

OK, fair warning - this is a VERY dangerous website! I think I will take one if each! Those brindle rifle and pistol cases! Get a matching set for the 1894 Classic and the Super Blackhawk. Hubba hubba!

Yes, no one say they don't have an adequate selection!

If you did get some surface rust (not real bad). I have been told this works and does not damage the bluing if used correctly. Plan to try it next week on the gun that has some rust.

there is no way i would use a metal scrubby on my guns .

Reactions: Westypete and PEP3