HOW do you RANGE the distance to your quarry (outside your PBR)❓

HOW do you RANGE the distance to your quarry (outside your PBR)❓ (+Post why you prefer YOUR method!)

• I rarely shoot outside of my point blank range (PBR) — so, no need to rangefind.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Mostly — I ranged the spots beforehand where quarry appears — no need to range when shooting

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Mostly — with a laser range finder

Votes: 41 52.6%
  • Mostly — with the scope parallax

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • About half laser — half parallax

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters
I mostly hunt. When I set up in an area I range certain landmarks to have an idea of distances if I have an opportunity to take a quick shot. On a hunt the animals move frequently as I am not fond of baiting them. So I range them with the parallax knob because I have a routine and the process comes almost instinctively to me with certain setups. Sometimes I miss an opportunity to take a shot, but more often than not I am able to take a good shot.

Reactions: Hoffman9517
Thanks for your answers. 😊

To be sure: My interest here is in how to find the distance to the quarry — not, how to figure out how to adapt the trajectory correctly for a range outside the PBR (which is where the range card or a ballistic calculator come in).

The method OldSpook is using is genius, I only know of one other shooter using this method. — It effectively "hides" the process of ranging (using the parallax focus wheel) as it conflates it with trajectory adaptation. It's quick and practical — cudos! 👍🏼

Matthias

@JungleShooter I forgot to mention that in using various hunting methods I may be moving to close the distance on an animal. Also, the method I wrote in my previous post works well with FFP scopes with adjustable magnification. I can acquire shots faster with the FFP. I use SFP scopes for certain applications and my ranging process is different. Sometimes I will bring a rangefinder. I haven’t used one much in the field. Fixed magnification scopes are a different story as well.

Last edited:
I agree with Ranchibi, although I'm not a golfer.
Coming from an archery background, I use a laser range finder that adjusts to the angle of the shot. When still hunting, I'll use the range finder "as needed ". If I'm stand hunting, I'll pre-measure to different landmarks.
Unmarked 3-D shoots while shooting really helped with range guesstimateion , +/- 3 yards .
As students of trajectory, it does take time to develop ranging skills, especially at longer ranges. Laser range finders are a great tool to check your guess, and sooner or later you won't need to use as often.

I range before hand when I can otherwise I have calibrated my focus wheel in actual mildot drop. I read the drop directly from the wheel. I don't use range I skip it.
Wow - that's really smart. I had never thought of that. Wouldn't that be a perfect way to go about FT setup - like it reduces thing to half as much work and you dan't have to worry about holdover cards.

Wow - that's really smart. I had never thought of that. Wouldn't that be a perfect way to go about FT setup - like it reduces thing to half as much work and you dan't have to worry about holdover cards.
You should thank Ed in NC for that. Let me see if I can find his post. It is the 5th post in this thread. Everything he ever wrote here or on any other forum was worth reading. Nicest man on the forums.

Last edited:
I also have calibrated my side focus wheel. I turn it to get the target in focus, then look at the wheel for the approximate distance. Fast and easy. It’s not exact but close enough to let me hit the target.
The thing we are talking about is calibrating your focus wheel so that you can read the drop in mil dots (or MOA for the metrically challenged ;)) directly from the wheel.

im not comfortable shooting animals outside point blank, and really most situations with actual pests are offhand shots, so unless its a huge problem like something actively after my chickens i would get within range .. on the bench, yeah, no problem, or a set distance way out where things are active, simply measure it and put a plate of food out like the rest of the youtube superheroes ..but yeah 'ranging' or any other type of fiddling around means a missed shot to me, no time fir that in that critcal couple of seconds when it gives you a shot .. unless thats what your doing .. fiddling around .. so measure things off if thats the case ..

Last edited:
😊 I appreciate all your answers! ✅

Dizzums,

I respect your shooting principles. 👍🏼

In my personal experience, and from watching some footage of non-YT-heroes, at times there are shooting scenarios where the quarry gives ample time for ranging, dialing, aiming, and shooting.

And the farther my gun and I become precise in putting the projectile where intended, the more time the quarry will give me, usually.

So, for my type of shooting, the range finder is an indispensable tool... and scopes with large magnification ranges.... and high BC projectiles....
😎 ——
Now, if I was squirrel hunting in a dense forrest, all that would be pretty much useless, and you might see me (perish the thought!) with no rangefinder anywhere near, with a fixed and low magnification scope, shooting light .177 low BC pellets.... 🤣

Matthias

Reactions: OldSpook