How do you organize your pellet/slug collection

Jonathan, I'm glad that you've taken energy and inspiration from my method of pellet/slug organization and am eager to provide more detail!

Man, @Larcat , your words have resonated with me, and I am not sure how. I have been thinking about it since your post, and I have so many questions.

I am very much OCD like @dow4hurst mentioned he is, and I can relate to separating things in little baggies. When you say that you are dumping the whole tin in a 5-gal bucket, my mind is blown! Let me start my barrage of questions, and I am really anxious to hear your response:
  • Do you separate Diabolo, Pointed, Hollow, etc?

No. My theory is that leading in the barrel with a specific type would bias the highly scientific method I have perfected. I want to keep the barrel, and my range notebook, guessing.

• If you have a bucket of just Diabolo, for example, at the same weight, how do you know what you are shooting?

I take meticulous notes on each shot, and then use unsupervised machine learning algorithms, primarily K-nearest-neighbors, to group shots.

By back mapping this to my log of dumped pellets, I can best-effort categorize any given pellet :)

• Do you keep pictures of what the inside of the skirt looks like?

No! But this is an excellent suggestion and a machine-vision model, using these images, would almost cenrtainly assist in the aforementioned pellet identification process. I'm skeptical of the impact of skirt deformation, generally, but you are absolutely correct that it is a ground state prior I should account for more thoroughly.

• Do you keep like weights in the same bucket so you can use a springer with this bucket, or a PCP with that one?

Absolutely not. This method attempts to optimize for the  perfect pellet, without bias for method of propulsion.

• How do you know that you are sampling the pellets that you first put in?

You've lighted on one..., flaw is strong but wrinkle is certainly apt, in my method.

As my meticulously handled pellet collection increases in raw N, and cardinality, my sample sizes increase non linearly. However, the point of the hobby is sending lead (or non-lead alloy!) down range, no? I see this as a line extension benefit :)

• Are you periodically spinning the bucket on the side?

No, and frankly I'm embarassed I hadn't incorporated this technique. High benefit, low lift. Thank you for the suggestion!

• How many pellets are you willing to shoot to make sure that you shot one particular pellet in the bunch?

As many as it takes, statistically.

• How do you record which ones did the best, like if you were going to compete?

I'm purely competing with myself -- chasing perfection. Therefore, when I attain a programmatically identified maximal group, I pack the bucket up and head home.. satisfied that I have done all that I can do.

• I recently bought a bunch of Tracker Exploding pellets, so would you put an out-liar like that in there too...and possibly freak out someone on the range if they didn't know it was coming?

My fundamental experience at public ranges is that other shooters rarely have the dedication that I imbue from bucket purchase to model training run. In fairness, the palette of public ranges I'm allowed to shoot at has decreased but the remaining options would welcome tannerite pellets.

• I'm sure that I can geek out on a bunch more questions, but I don't want to bore the group with details when what I have asked gets to the heart.

Your questions have been engaging, and the iterative process will help me improve my methods. Thank you for the time :)

To be honest, I think that this approach would frustrate me, especially if I wanted to see what a group of one particular pellet would do with a certain gun. I can't imagine how you could tune a gun, so this bucket would just have to be a wildcard that you would bring with you when you wanted an adventure at the range...but you wouldn't know if it was:
  • The pellet
  • Wind,
  • The rifling
  • A cheap/deformed pellet
  • Alloy type
  • Redesign shape bordering on slugs
  • A squirrel zigging when you wanted it to zag
    • I'm assuming that you don't hunt from the bucket
  • Etc., etc., etc.

It is never the equipment, it is always the man. If I blame my bucket for my failures, who will I blame when I cross the river styx?

I am fascinated by the differences in different shooters and why they do what they do. What you have explained about your technique is so much different than anything I would even conceive of myself, so I would love to understand how your technique gives you fulfillment in this already extremely variable hobby. Thanks for the insight!

The true joy, and entrance to mystery, is when thr primary bucket is empty and the secondary bucket rises, like the mythical Phoenix, to assume that position :)

Straight shooting...no matter what is in the breech...

Jonathan

Always,

-Devin

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
Not my set up, but from others more organized than me, found on this thread-

74D8F3B9-F597-4A81-911B-56EF505A45D5.jpeg

Kudos to the organized folks on that thread!

• Love
Reactions: woogie_man
Kudos to the organized folks on that thread!
That looks more like it is intended to be for commercial use. It only uses one diameter of pellet tin, and that wouldn't work for my collection. It is definitely pretty, but what @bdzjlz or @Rawroots put up is much more adaptable to different pellet tin sizes.

I guess I'm screwed..
Not really. It's all about seeing what you have. If you have enough floor space to accommodate your collection, kudos! I have about 70 or so different pellets in 0.177 and again in 0.22, so that is around 140 tins of different pellets, and some I have a pretty decent quantity in multiple tins. I imagine that this would take the floor space of a car or so and I am only talking about two calipers. This takes up a lot of space even if similar pellets were stacked up, so this is the necessity to figure this conundrum out. I'm still leaning toward a "book", probably on bearings, so that I can see what I have.

The true joy, and entrance to mystery, is when the primary bucket is empty and the secondary bucket rises, like the mythical Phoenix, to assume that position :)
Devin,

I have given this a lot of thought, and your response is too perfect for me to muddy the waters with any of my OCD perspective. I love it that we are all so different, and love that you are here to share your brilliant perspective, and ultimately challenge my position on testing. I'm not sure that I have it within my psychology to adopt your methodology, as sound as it may be, but I have been enlightened, and for that, I thank you!

Cheers, and straight shooting!

Jonathan

All I can say from this thread is the some of you guys have a chit ton of pellets! Am I supposed to be hoarding lead in anticipation of a zombie squirrel hoard coming that I don't know about? Up until recently, I was 0.25 only and kept about 15-20 tins of JSBs around and would only shoot 1-2 tins per year. The combination of pandemic boredom and adding a 0.22 into the mix has increased my 0.25 stash to about 40 tins and added about 15 tins of 0.22. With that, I feel like I have enough to last me til I die!

I use this for the field, and store the rest in a Ammo box.
That's interesting. Did you modify a box to accept the curved shape of the tins?

All I can say from this thread is the some of you guys have a chit ton of pellets!
I agree. I was pretty pleased with my pellet collection...before starting this thread.

and would only shoot 1-2 tins per year.
As stated in your next sentence, everybody has different shooting needs. I personally go through around 500-700 pellets a week, so I have to keep a pretty decent stash of the pellets my guns like.

With that, I feel like I have enough to last me til I die!
I doubt I could say that if a semi truck dropped the pellets off. I'm probably on track to have chambered over a million pellets before I keel over.

Reactions: yenniedn
That's interesting. Did you modify a box to accept the curved shape of the tins?

I agree. I was pretty pleased with my pellet collection...before starting this thread.

As stated in your next sentence, everybody has different shooting needs. I personally go through around 500-700 pellets a week, so I have to keep a pretty decent stash of the pellets my guns like.

I doubt I could say that if a semi truck dropped the pellets off. I'm probably on track to have chambered over a million pellets before I keel over.
I wish that I could take credit for the pellet holder mod, but I was shown this from a fellow member here. It is a Fishing line spool holder. The curves are molded into it and just happens to fit the bigger jsb pellet tins as well as the smaller ones. AWESOME! IDEA! I think it holds 6 tins and was like 12 bucks on amazon. My cayden shoots the cphp 14.3 gr .22 pellets good SO what I do is charge whoever sends me to Walmart 2 tins each trip I have to make. I call it crazy town tax. I haven't had to buy pellets for a year now! I shoot "average" 1-2 tins a month, I get at least 6-10 tins a month in tax revenue. I thought I had it goin on, some of you fellas, have more pellets/ projectiles than the companies that make them!! Not judging just jealous that you get to shoot that much. During the covid lock down, I was shooting 2-4 tins a week and thought I was the Pelletier of Idaho. The loss of an idea LOL!!