• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How do you find your target?

How do you approach your target with your scope reticle? What feels natural and what I have done most of my life, weather its archery, pistol or rifle is coming up from under the target. However I think I shoot better coming in from the left of the target. Also do you find you focus on the target or the reticle? What seems to work best for you or do you stick with a habit?

If my eyes will focus. I keep my eyes directly on the target before i bring the gun/scope to my face. As much as a huge curve and problem, ive ben gaining focus with both eyes open more and more. Majority scopes will not allow that bewteen refraction of the glass and/or personal eyesight.

Finding my target... i keep my eyes open while i drag my gun/scope next to my eye and get a half picture from the one eye, then decide weather to close the non dominant eye for a fine tuned shot.

Edit: similar to above comment. I line it up vertically and drag upwards for my shot. 80%... other is 20% is a horizontal drag/swing.

Something happening now day shooting offhand is I get stuck bellow the target. Trying to use muscle to raise the muzzle with muscle I tend to jerk. It seems worse now days. Getting weaker?

I used to shoot 99% freehand till i got the death grip tripod....

I had gooood accuracy(for me) freehand. Freehand accuracy droppped alooooooot since i started "relying" on the DG.😟

I end up shooting atleast 1"~ higher than i aim free hand now 😢

I always click off my zero when shooting for a group because I don't want to shoot my aiming point out. If zeroing I do shoot at my point of aim. As for acquiring a target using a scope, I just look at the target with my eyes and put the gun to my shoulder and my scope should be on the target. It takes some practice at first. I have seen beginning shooters try to find the target in the scope after looking through the scope. Ok maybe if on low power but I usually hunt birds on at least 10X. Practice, practice. 

For me, I hunt squirrels in trees. It can get difficult to focus or find the squirrels sometimes, sometimes I get a eyeball and fur sticking out around a tree. I feel for the most part , I keep my scope at 10x (swfa 3-15) and parallax set around 30 yds. When I do spot a squirrel, I’ll look square at my target and bring the rifle up to match roughly my plane of sight. For me , having it on 10x , the fov is wide enough for me to capture the sight picture I want. Form there if I have time, I’ll turn the mag up (sometimes I really have to thread my pellet through some branches) and dial in the parallax and take my shot.