How do you find the optimum pellet size for your rifle?

I have tried different head sizes, same head size / different skirt sizes, different head sizes same weight, etc. Groups are good, but change the distance and they group differently. Modify the power setting and blows things all apart. To quote a gentleman I know - "How far down that rabbit hole do you want to go"?

I am curious as to how you defined the correct size pellet for your rifle? What were the steps that you followed? Looking for suggestions to optimize. Thanks in advanced for the responses.

Robransom, more info on gun and caliber would help a lot. Food for thought. Stright shooters Airgun has a sample package you can buy with lots of different pellets. Also jsb has a sample package of .22 calibers pellets you can get from Pyramyd air. Post more info on gun/caliber and your intended use. Others will Chim in and get you out of rabbit hold.

My advice is don’t get too hung up on a specific size. There have been a few rare instances where a barrel was abnormally large or small such that it was necessary to look for pellets whose heads are at one extreme or the other. But for the most part, the nature of the geometry of pellets makes them much more forgiving than solid projectiles (bullets).

Speaking from experience, I have observed numerous barrels group equally well (MoA) with one tin of pellets whose heads measured 5.49mm and another that measured 5.52mm. However there is no guarantee the next time I bought “pellet B” (5.52mm) would group as well as the previous tin. That’s because of other very subtle things that change over time as the manufacturer replaces worn out dies or due to other production/QC variables. So when you find an exceptionally grouping tin of pellets, buy as many from that batch as you can. Generally when dealing with online vendors that cater to this hobby, you can order several flavors and test them as soon as they arrive, and then turn around and order more tins of the best performers and they will be from the same manufacturing run.

In terms of increasing your odds of finding a pellet that will make little bug holes, stick to domed pellets from JSB / Air Arms and H&N.

Reactions: sonny
I'm relatively new to airguns, and have been shooting Field Target for a couple of years now. I shoot a Benjamin Marauder gen 1 .177 with JSB 13.4 Monsters (new design). I second the recommendation on the "straight shooters" pellet assortment. It was a good selection of pellets to make a wise choice on what my barrel likes. Last year I started weighing my pellets and found a noticeable improvement in accuracy when I used all the same weight pellets to the .1 grain. For competition I just shoot 13.5 grain pellets. 

Just last week I acquired a pelletgage (pelletgage.com). Most of the JSB monsters are 4.54, but occasionally a 4.55 or 4.53 will show up. It will be interesting to see if this tool will make my scores even better.

So now my steps are:

1. weigh pellets and discard light or over weight pellets

2. choose a weight my gun seems to like and check those pellets with pelletgage

3. use reject pellets for offhand practice and plinking

Bench rest / Silhouettes target shooting - Accuracy. The gauge doesn't matter, as I am looking at "How to optimize any air rifle" by selecting the correct size of pellet. Does it matter the head size / Skirt size? Weight has many factors.

Do you place a pellet into the barrel and push it though, inspected it to see the impact the barrel has on it? Putting different size heads and skirts. Scraping's on the head and skirts. What does that tell you? 

Maybe I am too far down that rabbit hole!

Pushing a pellet through can give you some idea, yes. But really only in the sense that it is much too small or much too large. 

As long as the head “rides the rails” or kisses the rifling, it will stay straight in the bore and pick up its spin by way of the skirt, which obturates (expands) to fit the bore when the pressure pulse hits it. 

Conversely, if the pellet head is so large that the lead smears (trailing fins) where the rifling cuts into it, it’s not likely to fly straight. 

So in summary it will tell you if you’re in an acceptable range but not help identify a pellet that will necessarily group well. 

For competitive shooting I use .177 pellets which I size with a pellet sizer

https://www.trrobb.com/product/adjustable%20pellet%20sizer%20177

After identifying which pellet best suited my gun, it took a great deal of experimentation sizing (with the sizer) pellets to identify the optimal size for my FWB.

The experimentation process was enjoyable and filled in time during rainy days.

i have experimented a lot with my rifle before the results a repeatable good

for one of my Rifles the following factors must be right

1 Pellet Type

2 Headsize (i size them 6,35mm)

3 Skirtsize (size them to 6,38mm)

4 Working pressure

one man have mad for me a sizer with 11 different sizes so that i could find the best size for my gun

sorting and weighing did not bring me my desired results

if that fits all i can Sniper with it to 120 meters and shot 3 Inch Targets in 150 meters for pellets is a Long range so i will try to switch to bullets

from a 1000 euro rifle i would not have expected this hole circus

Just shoot the gun off of a good solid rifle rest at 50 yards and just stick with the power and the pellets that do the best at that distance then you can opt to measure the head and skirt sizes for THAT most accurate pellet if you want to be analytical unless you have a gun that doesn't shoot good at all. Nothing beats trying out (FIRST HAND) a variety of proven accurate quality pellets in your specific gun to know for sure and stay away from the junk novelty pellets all togther which are a waste of time and money.

Just so you know you don't necessarily need high power for accuracy shooting at long distances unless you have an FX or Daystate HP to shoot accurately at the high power levels.

CA

robransom. Every gun is different. The one thing i think most people here will tell you is experimenting is the best thing about airguns. Keep trying different pellets til you find "The One" or two pellets that your gun shoots well. Sometimes after I figure out a gun pretty well i get bored and start on something else. So take it slow and enjoy the ride.

Also tell us what gun you have and someone will chime in and give you a good direction and assortment of pellets to try. Good luck.

By shooting at distance and seeing how a pellet performs from 120 to 200 yards, is how I choose my pellets.

My gun (Brocock Bantam .25) seems to really like the 25 grain JSB's. It doesn't have enough power to sling the 34 grain JSB's, and pellets lighter than 25 grains don't fare to well at those distances. 25 grains is the sweet spot. 

Then I compare the JSB Diablo 25's to other brands of pellets around the 25 grain weight to see which shoots the most consistently at distance. JSB 25 Diablos came out on top there as well.