Administrator
Staff member
IMG_2664.jpeg

How much did your setup cost?
How often do you use it?
How often do you perform maintenance?
How reliable is it?

Reactions: qball
Looks like you got plenty of redundancy.
There is a method to the madness. After Mr. Shelden retired I did not want to get stuck without an air source. He directed people to a company that he trained on how to service his compressors. They were not very friendly and didn't return calls. Mr. Shelden was very accommodating and you could email or call him up for general and tech questions. The Coltri and Omega I got deals so good that I couldn't pass on.

There is a method to the madness. After Mr. Shelden retired I did not want to get stuck without an air source. He directed people to a company that he trained on how to service his compressors. He was very accommodating and you could email or call him up for general and tech questions. The Coltri and Omega I got deals so good that I couldn't pass on.
Nothing wrong with that.

2001 Yong Heng, auto shut-off. Over 200 hours on it, I change oil when it gets dark.

I fill two 65 cu ft CF tanks twice a week, simple tampon filters inline from the compressor to the tanks. Never seen water in my guns or tanks. Second tampon is always dry, the first has 2-3 drops of water that I can squeeze out.

I paid under $200.00 for it.

I've been running a Shoebox Max for the past ten years - which of course pre-dates the revolution in cheaper compressors. As such, I bought it new for about $700, as I did not want to spend the $1100 on the Shoebox F8 at the time. I also spent about $150 on my pre-filtration set up.

Based on my log book I have used it for ~380 tank refills, and it has pumped over 2100 cubic feet of air to 4500 psi through those fills over 305 hours of run time - it is on the slow side, but it is so rock solid and is a "set it and forget it" compressor (especially with a timer that I run so that it can't run longer than a calculated max fill).

I have only rebuilt the cylinders (meaning swap out the o-rings) once at ~140 hours of runtime, and I probably did not really need to do it then - I just thought I should. I now have over 160 hours on these o-rings and it shows no signs of needing another rebuild yet - I have o-rings for many more rebuilds on hand, plus lots of other spare parts I bought when Tom closed up shop.

I love this design so much that I bought a backup unit that is like new, in case this one dies - it is one of the last F-10s built and the original owner only used it for ~6 hours of run time before selling it to me. I put about 1 hour on it testing it out and slowing it down with an F8 pulley so it runs cooler with less load on the bearings, and I plan to run it once every six months until the Max eventually dies - which it shows no sign of doing. I should be set with these for the rest of my life, and then my kids can take over with them . . .

View attachment 443521
My first "compressor." I discovered that I am too impatient for a shoebox. I used it once to fill a small tank then traded it to a shooting buddy for a Sumatra.

I have an Altaros compressor booster that I use in conjunction with my garage compressor and an extra dryer to fill my airguns directly and slooooowly top off my CF tank, when needed. (https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/best-portable-compressor.1037382/post-1038105) It's working fine for me so far, and I'm very happy with the purchase. I may eventually save up and buy a full-blown compressor...some of the comments on this thread indicate good luck with the latest batch of smaller compressors, which are something to consider when I'm ready.

IMG_6670.jpeg

Since 2019 I have purchased 3 non-expired SCBA tanks off eBay (two 45 minute and one 60 minute) at decent deals and they have all served me well and saved me a few bucks over buying new tanks at an airgun store. I get two of the tanks filled at a local dive shop, the third one just expired last November so the dive shop can no longer fill it.

The mom and pop dive shop I utilize is a ten minute drive and they usually charge $8 a tank, but sometimes give me a free fill. They do hydro tests on site also. I have also thought about “cheating” the system a little by filling my expired tank with air from my two current tanks, but I will need another fill station to do so.

For my fill station I use a hand tighten cga347 set up that I purchased from AGN member @jking several years ago and it is still going strong. Don’t know if he still makes them up for sale but if so I would highly recommend his setups as he used high quality components from Nuvair.

If you are thinking about eBay I have found you will find a lot of scba tanks listed, but most of them are expired (over 15 years from manufacture date) and those range from reasonably priced to extreme rip-offs. They also have tanks that are still current but those are often listed at exorbitant prices, much higher than you can get a brand new tank with a fill setup at an airgun dealer. But occasionally if you keep vigilant, a reasonably priced 45 or 60 minute tank will pop up. A new tank from one of the airgun dealers is now running about ~ $37-$48 per year of a 15 year service life, so that is one benchmark that can be used to determine if an eBay tank is worth it. My 3 eBay purchased tanks have averaged me $28 per year of service which includes the first hydro test fees and the cost of the one fill station, so not a huge amountin the scheme of things in airguns, but the 30% savings is not bad either 😬.

Well…. I’ve been using my Omega Aircharger for 3 yrs. Has 38hrs on it and still going strong. I bought a GX CS4 last April for just in case. Then the brown truck brought this Monday night.
20 mins on it and it is outstanding so far..😁

View attachment 443566
Hello do you need a designated out-let to run the new compresor? I’m really interested in one, also whats the warranty on it? Thanks

I've only had it a week or two. I did upgrade the air filter and added a 3 ft whip. It topped off all my guns in less than two minutes each. I had a heavy duty flight bag that fit it like a glove ( how lucky is that). All accessories are stored neatly in the zipper compartments.

View attachment 457934

That looks like a perfect fit!

Reactions: Tex-Mex
Hello do you need a designated out-let to run the new compresor? I’m really interested in one, also whats the warranty on it? Thanks
No, I run it off my kitchen outlet. It’s a 20 amp breaker I believe. When my fridge kicks in it doesn’t pop the breaker. I believe it has 1yr warranty. So far it runs smooth as silk. I did add an additional moisture filter. It’s the filter sys for the MCH6. Zero moisture so far. But it only takes 9 min each to top off my 45min bottles. About 12 min for my 60 min tanks from 3000 to 4500 psi.

Reactions: alejo
My cascade set up. 45 minute Omega on the left , 60 minute "great White" on the right. The baby "guppy" is for when I head over to a buddy's for shooting. Great fill station and I keep it aired up with my Airetex 45 . Being air independent is a beautiful thing.

View attachment 453934
Awesome. You’re like a compressed air prepper. Beautiful. 👍👍

• Love
Reactions: grackleblast
Omaga Trail Charger....Had it for a few months now and have around two hours on it, which is quite a bit considering I only fill guns with it...most take 3 to 4 minuets from normal refill pressures. Only added a little water so far...Very impressed with this unit thus far...seems to operate effortlessly. One of the guys at AOA discussed this model (recommended) to me a year or two ago and convinced me to give it a try...Was 800 bucks plus shipping...gone up a little since then...imagine that...AOA has always done right by me and a person has to believe someone...Time will tell...Health issues stopped me from hand pumping. Going through a lot of pellets but that's the idea. I usually fill several guns when I start it up about weekly.View attachment 443345
gun should be higher than compressor so moisture drains to the pump not the gun . Maybe just the picture angle ?

I've been running a Shoebox Max for the past ten years - which of course pre-dates the revolution in cheaper compressors. As such, I bought it new for about $700, as I did not want to spend the $1100 on the Shoebox F8 at the time. I also spent about $150 on my pre-filtration set up.

Based on my log book I have used it for ~380 tank refills, and it has pumped over 2100 cubic feet of air to 4500 psi through those fills over 305 hours of run time - it is on the slow side, but it is so rock solid and is a "set it and forget it" compressor (especially with a timer that I run so that it can't run longer than a calculated max fill).

I have only rebuilt the cylinders (meaning swap out the o-rings) once at ~140 hours of runtime, and I probably did not really need to do it then - I just thought I should. I now have over 160 hours on these o-rings and it shows no signs of needing another rebuild yet - I have o-rings for many more rebuilds on hand, plus lots of other spare parts I bought when Tom closed up shop.

I love this design so much that I bought a backup unit that is like new, in case this one dies - it is one of the last F-10s built and the original owner only used it for ~6 hours of run time before selling it to me. I put about 1 hour on it testing it out and slowing it down with an F8 pulley so it runs cooler with less load on the bearings, and I plan to run it once every six months until the Max eventually dies - which it shows no sign of doing. I should be set with these for the rest of my life, and then my kids can take over with them . . .

View attachment 443521
you are a very lucky air gunner to have those . IF i see a shoebox i will buy it .