Administrator
Staff member
IMG_2664.jpeg

How much did your setup cost?
How often do you use it?
How often do you perform maintenance?
How reliable is it?

Reactions: qball
Altaros booster $600 when I bought it. It’s been extremely reliable, no issues in 7 years. I use it to fill my SCBA probably 10 times a year. Pre filter was $250 and high pressure filter was also $250. It’s not fast but it creates no heat to speak of and is very well made. This setup gives me dry air as I have taken my guns apart and they show no signs of moisture.View attachment 444646
Nice set up, but we need to have a conversation about a missing cover on that breaker panel. 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: F6Hawk
you are a very lucky air gunner to have those . IF i see a shoebox i will buy it .
Thanks, and I agree. I sometimes think that it would be great if a Chinese company would do a knockoff of the Shoebox, and nobody would care much since it is out of production . It really is an optimized design - Tom Kaye made a great product.

Unfortunately, everyone seems to want a "fast fill" and thus undervalues the real worth of something that is both robust and a real "set it and forget it" solution, and thus there simply is not as much money to be made with it, so I expect it won't happen. I'll take the Shoebox compressor over anything else out there I see. Don't get me wrong - I love the Alkins and the like, but they are so over the top for what I (and probably most of us) really need - resulting in minutes of run time a week/month from something meant to run darn near continuously . . . .

Last edited:
Thanks, and I agree. I sometimes think that it would be great if a Chinese company would do a knockoff of the Shoebox, and nobody would care much since it is out of production . It really is an optimized design - Tom Kaye made a great product.

Unfortunately, everyone seems to want a "fast fill" and thus undervalues the real worth of something that is a real "set it and forget it" solution, and thus there simply is not as much money to be made with it, so I expect it won't happen. I'll take the Shoebox compressor over anything else out there I see. Don't get me wrong - I love the Alkins and the like, but they are so over the top for what I (and probably most of us) really need - resulting in minutes of run time a week from something meant to run darn near continuously . . . .
Altros is a nice replacement but still $800 to $1200 but you can use a shop compressor /or another tank / even C02 tank to power it i found out .

Reactions: AlanMcD

AlanMcD

I couldn't agree more about having a worthy Shoebox pumping up my tanks. A real piece of excellent machinery. I prefer using the Box over anything that I have seen as well.
Speed means zippo to me, besides, topping off a 94cf tank from 3,900 to 4,400PSI takes about 30-45 minutes. That's not a long time.
I added a meter to record hours used, that is a really good way to track the rebuild life.

Mike

Reactions: AlanMcD
Yong Heng with over 65 hours run time over four years, so far rebuilt it 3x with some minor elbow greasing. My total cost for this compressor with spare parts well below a grand, including a big orange dual stage water separator. Also have a spare YH still in a crate as a backup just in case.
I am refilling four of mine large scba 147cc scba and a 9L Acecare, usually from 200 to 300 bars.

20231130_103540.jpg