• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How do you feel about extreme long range hunting?

Hello fellow airgun nation enthusiasts. I've been on YouTube and have watched many long range air gun bird hunts, rockchuck hunts etc. I ask myself " Is every shot they take a humane kill shot? I know that when I'm doing long distance target practice my groups arent tight and would think that if I were to try to hunt long distance say 200 yds, I would be leaving a lot of animals injured. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe that's why they're pros. Because they can make all the long shots. I just know for myself I'm not taking any shots at animals over a 100 yd. Is just too much flight time and too much that could go wrong.

i like to stalk in close so i can see the look in their eye when they get hit lol ... but yeah, stalking and strategy is part of hunting, it isnt done on the bench .. birds personally i dont shoot anymore, you can look up a bunch of history about entire species of birds being wiped out and with all the new airgunners out there to, yeah .. sad ... but i can think of one or two maybe legitimate long range scenarios like pararie doggin or something else in your crops where you could set up, know the distance, and wounding them is what they deserve for tearing up your crap ... just randomly taking pot shots at animals for no reason other than you want to be a youtube superstar, not justified ..

The problem is this entire topic is a quagmire of quicksand.

I’ve hunted mule deer out west for years. I spent a half a dozen years figuring out what the best rifle for long range shooting is for me. I’m not going to get into what I chose on an air gun thread. But from a field target position with shooting sticks I can hit An apple at 400 yards consistently on a calm day. On a windy day I’m quite confident I could hit a football at four hundred yards every time.

i’ve shot two mule deer at over 500 yards. Both were one shot kills. One of them was actually running straight away from me, he fold it up like I hit him with a lightning bolt. I was aiming for the juncture of his neck and his body, it’s exactly where I put it. 

Could I have missed either of those shots? Of course. Could I have pulled one of them and wounded the animal instead of making a clean kill? Yes, absolutely. Did I practice out at the range before I went hunting for hundreds of hours? Yes. Did I know my rifle and exactly where it hits out to 600 yards, yes of course I did. Did I hand select ammo that was extremely accurate in my rifle? Yes.

The one that was running, was originally standing still. He was at 507 yards. I was completely dialed in and just pulling the trigger, then his head snapped around because he saw something. He immediately started running straight away from me. It felt like an easy shot, It was all instinct, I took it. Five minutes later my buddy came walking out of the brush behind me. He was what the deer saw coming. I was still sitting in the spot where I shot him from, contemplating my shot. He walked up and said, did you get him? I heard your shot. I said yeah he’s right over there and pointed. He said where, I don’t see it. I said just across the ravine over there...Try your binoculars. He did, he laughed and said holy crap or something to that effect.

There are a whole bunch of people who are going to read this and think, “that guy shouldn’t be shooting that far“...I have seen people hopelessly wound deer at one tenth that distance. I have seen guys practicing their bow shooting at 25 yards and they can’t hit a paper plate, while my brother and I are stacking them on top of each other in the size of a baseball at 60 yards.

There’s no easy answer for this.

He’s not the biggest muley 🦌 I’ve ever shot, but he’s one of the best, and one of my favorite. And I can still see that shot in my mind, he was running quite fast, and he literally just fold it up and hit the ground like a gunnysack.

i’ve also shot prairie dogs at 500+, playing 3 1/2 feet of wind.

I once watched a friend of mine shoot three times at a broadside standing mule deer at 150 yards. He missed every time. I could’ve taken him off hand at that distance 10 for 10.

Other guys have gone out over 1000. The answer is different for everyone. And it’s equipment and skill dependent.

When I go long range deer hunting, I have wind drift and drop charts taped to the back of my butt stock. And I carry a kestrel wind meter. I have shooting sticks and my own butt pad with me.

just my two cents.

mike

7B8AB073-0627-4E14-89B9-F7A963291FE6.1619226068.jpeg

Long distance is kind of a double edged topic. It can be fun and is. I prefer paper, but have made some what many consider extreme (and they weren't even close to extreme) shots in the field, with perfect conditions, rest, rifle, range, and day. I knew I could make the shot first time every time, or just didn't try, and still don't make a practice of it.

I see people who read all the posts and such and seem to think 100 yards with a small caliber air rifle is a piece of cake. It isn't. Those who don't muff a lot of shots either got very lucky, or have put an extraordinary amount of work, research, tuning, and plain old sweat equity, while still getting a little lucky into the sport. Yes they got lucky, but putting in the work and research can leverage the odds in your direction and the ones who work the problem, I have to admire.

In the end, you have to be able to do it, have enough terminals to get the job done, and be abo=le to do it consistently. Like some already noted, there is likely a lot of editing in the film.

Keep it real and do what you are comfortable with. Live up to the reflection in the mirror and not the perception on the internet.

Cheers

You have to take everything they say with a grain of salt. They are in it to make money and sell their product. Of course they are going to tell you their "slugs" or pcp is better then everyone else. Of course they are going to only show you the hits.

☝️ Very much this. Many Fx videos are guilty of this very. I have seen it many times: people got hyped up by channels like AirArmsHuntingSA and spend way above their budget, getting a gun that doesn't shoot as it's promised. And then keeping pouring money into new parts, liners, new slugs, and eventually new guns. That's how they get you. I say this as a fx owner and boy how many pm I got from people who found out that their brand new fx doesn't do what videos promised. Fx is not a bad brand, but definitely over marketed.

The problem is this entire topic is a quagmire of quicksand.

I’ve hunted mule deer out west for years. I spent a half a dozen years figuring out what the best rifle for long range shooting is for me. I’m not going to get into what I chose on an air gun thread. But from a field target position with shooting sticks I can hit An apple at 400 yards consistently on a calm day. On a windy day I’m quite confident I could hit a football at four hundred yards every time.

i’ve shot two mule deer at over 500 yards. Both were one shot kills. One of them was actually running straight away from me, he fold it up like I hit him with a lightning bolt. I was aiming for the juncture of his neck and his body, it’s exactly where I put it. 

Could I have missed either of those shots? Of course. Could I have pulled one of them and wounded the animal instead of making a clean kill? Yes, absolutely. Did I practice out at the range before I went hunting for hundreds of hours? Yes. Did I know my rifle and exactly where it hits out to 600 yards, yes of course I did. Did I hand select ammo that was extremely accurate in my rifle? Yes.

The one that was running, was originally standing still. He was at 507 yards. I was completely dialed in and just pulling the trigger, then his head snapped around because he saw something. He immediately started running straight away from me. It felt like an easy shot, It was all instinct, I took it. Five minutes later my buddy came walking out of the brush behind me. He was what the deer saw coming. I was still sitting in the spot where I shot him from, contemplating my shot. He walked up and said, did you get him? I heard your shot. I said yeah he’s right over there and pointed. He said where, I don’t see it. I said just across the ravine over there...Try your binoculars. He did, he laughed and said holy crap or something to that effect.

There are a whole bunch of people who are going to read this and think, “that guy shouldn’t be shooting that far“...I have seen people hopelessly wound deer at one tenth that distance. I have seen guys practicing their bow shooting at 25 yards and they can’t hit a paper plate, while my brother and I are stacking them on top of each other in the size of a baseball at 60 yards.

There’s no easy answer for this.

He’s not the biggest muley 
1f98c.svg
I’ve ever shot, but he’s one of the best, and one of my favorite. And I can still see that shot in my mind, he was running quite fast, and he literally just fold it up and hit the ground like a gunnysack.

i’ve also shot prairie dogs at 500+, playing 3 1/2 feet of wind.

I once watched a friend of mine shoot three times at a broadside standing mule deer at 150 yards. He missed every time. I could’ve taken him off hand at that distance 10 for 10.

Other guys have gone out over 1000. The answer is different for everyone. And it’s equipment and skill dependent.

When I go long range deer hunting, I have wind drift and drop charts taped to the back of my butt stock. And I carry a kestrel wind meter. I have shooting sticks and my own butt pad with me.

just my two cents.

mike

7B8AB073-0627-4E14-89B9-F7A963291FE6.1619226068.jpeg

Very nice!!!! Living out west most of us are left with no choice but to take those long shots. Growing up archery hunting back east I dont think I ever shot over 15-18 yards. Out here I wont even hesitate at 80+

This subject comes up quite often. I can honestly say if you are good with your gun and good with calling the wind you can do amazing things. When I am out at the range the wind is constantly changing but it stays the same sometimes for thirty to forty seconds. In those thirty to forty seconds I can hit three or four paint cans in a row at 200 yards, with my .25 Impact, often holding 18 to 24 inches for the wind. So, these things can be done it's just a matter of how good are you with ranging, wind calls and carefully squeezing off the shot at the right moment? A few have the gift but most do not. 

I have seen pretty much all of the You Tubers wound an animal now and then. At that time most put all their effort into ending it so it will not suffer. This will happen sooner or later at any range with pretty much any animal so you can't blame it all on the range. They plainly miss now and then at all ranges as well. Most of us should not be trying to duplicate what we see on the tube. At least not until we pay the price in weeks/months and years of perfecting our abilities and gear. To be perfectly honest most will never get there as they are not willing to put out the time, effort and funds it takes to do so. Therefore few will really understand what is possible and what is not.

For me, airguns are a short-range weapon. You can shoot an airgun where a rimfire would be absurd and dangerous; do we want to change that?

Ten years ago, if you talked about a .22 LR at those ranges, you were a liar or reckless; times have changed.

I have watched many of the South Africa hunting videos, and the bird's reaction doesn't say a clean, quick kill. I avoid the long-range airgun hunting on Youtube because I know what a rimfire can and will do at long-range and what is unreasonable.

Reactions: thumper
When i see some " pro" showcasing his long range shooting skills on utube. I cant help but think he is doing it in an effort to hide hes lack of skill as a hunter. For a lot of reasons best to get close as possible never more so than when hunting with air. Not a fan of long range hunting the corporations and their pros who push it. 

Reactions: thumper
Here are my thoughts. 

I've experienced excruciating pain many,many times. Didn't like it much. One of the Primary goals of any ethical hunter is for the clean,quick dispatching of ones intended game. If you hunt, you've failed to meet this goal more than once...I know I have.

It's a pretty poopty feeling knowing I've wounded an animal and cannot find it to end its suffering.

Therefore, I try to eliminate as many variables as possible. Stalking is key to this. I have No interest in trying to take an animal from the next zip code (Unless my survival is at stake.)

Performing ballistic experiments on a living creature is not my cup of tea.

Mike

I’ve never replied back on a hunting tread till now. Not opposed to it at all, I just don’t get the high fives, fist punches, and HOOO RAHS that come with shooting a bird at long distance. The way some folks carry on after a 200+ shot to a freaking starling is how I’d be reacting if I ousted an animal that was after my life, or i won an EBR, and everything from planning to execution went perfect. Then yeah, I’d be hoo raying the execution of the T Rex or lion that’s been killing off my neighbours. But a starling? 

I’ve never replied back on a hunting tread till now. Not opposed to it at all, I just don’t get the high fives, fist punches, and HOOO RAHS that come with shooting a bird at long distance. The way some folks carry on after a 200+ shot to a freaking starling is how I’d be reacting if I ousted an animal that was after my life, or i won an EBR, and everything from planning to execution went perfect. Then yeah, I’d be hoo raying the execution of the T Rex or lion that’s been killing off my neighbours. But a starling?

Ironically it’s the same with hunting videos with all weapons. If killing animals almost makes you orgasmic, you make videos.