• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

🔘 How do YOU define what HUNTING is?

What Manny mentions again — and I now recognize the importance of this view point:
➧ Like many words, "Hunting" has a 🔹literal and a 🔸figurative meaning.
🔹The literal meaning is the more foundational and original meaning of the word.
🔸The figurative meaning has been added during later developments of the language.

Example: "Drowning"
🔹I can literally drown in a river — which happens through water ➔ The basic and original meaning of "Drowning," it requires water.
🔸Or I can figuratively drown in debt — which happens through other means not having to do with water.

➧ It's the same way with "Hunting":
🔹I can literally hunt a wild animal — in order to get it —
which happens by killing (the animal is wild). âž” The basic and original meaning of "Hunting," it requires killing.

🔸Or I can figuratively hunt something desirable — in order to get it —
which happens by different methods:
E.g.: a good deal on a car I "get" by purchasing it ("car hunt"), a good job I "get" by giving a good CV and interview and receiving the job invitation ("job hunting").
â–ª In case of "Hunting" animals without the intent of killing the getting the animal would by through spotting it, or taking a photograph (bird watchers "hunt birds"), or taking a simulated shot (a type of "practice hunting").

Matthias

Last edited:
That is why I don't understand and don't agree with sitting in a hide, waiting for a animal to come along and then just do live target shooting.

If it was for survival or pest control it is a different story. But for general / sport / recreational hunting, that is a no-no for me. But it is so in the culture of people that you will not change their minds to do real hunting instead.

It is so in the culture of people that you will not change their minds to do real hunting instead.

Yeah, there it is again, the disqualifying that so often occurs when the topic "Hunting" comes up:

"What I and my kind do is REAL HUNTING.
What others do IS NOT." 😞

Matthias

Reactions: SteveV
Spin off question :

who considers hunting flying in to a camp, getting tracked to a blind/stand with most likely a feeding station of some kind, shoot a critter that has zero chance and then get the camp help to take it out and processed ?

Raise your hand if you deem this hunting.
That’s the best they can do with what they have to work with. That’s hunting to them. They may be level one hunters just like kids too small to even support the weapon their daddy is making them shoot. All propped up and can only shoot if the animal is standing in one specific area, but that’s still hunting. I’m a motocross racer. Even though I would get lapped one minute into a pro race, I would hope Eli Tomac would still consider me a motocrosser.

Reactions: JungleShooter
Yeah, there it is again, the disqualifying that so often occurs when the topic "Hunting" comes up:

"What I and my kind do is REAL HUNTING.
What others do IS NOT." 😞

Matthias
Yes. Come to Africa and ask the land owner (here is no such thing as public land to hunt on that I know of) where the hide is to shoot from with a rifle. Most will show you where the gate of the farm is. OK, maybe not as serious as that but most do not allow it.

From the late 1970's to the early 1990's the army troops in Mozambique would chase animals with vehicles to a predetermined area where others sat and wait with their AK47's. They would shoot on full automatic and kill the whole herd, not one stayed alive. The herds got less and less and not long before there was only a few individuals left that the troops could not find. To them, that was hunting. Where do you draw the line?

Last edited:
That’s the best they can do with what they have to work with. That’s hunting to them. They may be level one hunters just like kids too small to even support the weapon their daddy is making them shoot. All propped up and can only shoot if the animal is standing in one specific area, but that’s still hunting. I’m a motocross racer. Even though I would get lapped one minute into a pro race, I would hope Eli Tomac would still consider me a motocrosser.
Sorry but not talking about kids or even physically impaired adults,......talking about fully grown perfectly capable men.

From the late 1970's to the early 1990's the army troops in Mozambique would chase animals with vehicles to a predetermined area where others sat and wait with their AK47's. They would shoot on full automating and kill the whole herd, not one stayed alive. The herds got less and less and not long before there was only aa few individuals left that the troops could not find. To them, that was hunting. Where do you draw the line?

I am very, very sorry that such terrible things have happened on your beautiful continent. 😔

Matthias