🔘 How do YOU define what HUNTING is?

Wow, wow, wow — I am sorry that I didn't spoke with more clarity. 😳

➠ I am not suggesting we disobey local or federal laws regulating our hobby, hunting, pesting, or whatever you call it!!

I am sorry that my words could be understood that way. 😞

➧ All I wanted to clarify is a definition of "Hunting" — not a definition of what's legal (as that changes all the time, and is different in each country, state, and even township).

🔶 Dr. Kralenstein, I share your concern about the destructive force of people disregarding laws.
I currently live and work in a developing country, and I have to witness some of the most raw consequences that disregard for law is causing.

🆗, with that clarified, let's continue with the various definitions of "Hunting" — actually YOUR personal definition. 😊

Matthias
I tend to not stray from the line on an open public forum regarding laws. Don't want the knock on my door one day asking about my bag limit and the conservation dept goes through my life with a fine tooth comb and sees me talking about what I perceive or decide what is hunting vs their definition.

Wasn't trying to be rude, just covering my arse. Might be why this thread isn't garnering much attention.

One, it's been asked many times.
Two, most of us are going to keep our mouths shut so we don't incriminate ourselves.

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

I hunted bear over bait in northeast Maine. The woods were so thick you could barely move in them. Tracking my bear entailed getting on all fours, squeezing through narrow openings in trees, etc. I don't know how anyone would successfully hunt bear in those woods. Camp with the outfitter was six days of long hours of hunting, usually spending about 10-12 hours sitting in the stand. Out of 25 hunters five of us got a bear. That's definitely not easy and I'd call it hunting.

I hunted bear over bait in northeast Maine. [...] ●getting on all fours, squeezing through narrow openings in trees, etc. | ●Camp was six days, usually spending about 10-12 hours sitting in the stand. | ●Out of 25 hunters 5 got a bear.

Dennis, 😊

Respect, RESPECT.
That's an awesome feat you accomplished. 👏🏼
Congrats.

And that's very clearly: "Hunting"! 👍🏼

Matthias

Last edited:
Reactions: ThirdPlace
I take the “Hunter/Gatherer” approach.

Sometimes I hunt squirrels and other times I gather squirrels ;)
Haha, I've been gathering them the past couple of months. I switched from pellets to slugs and loved them but all head shots. A few days ago I wanted to try a broadside shoulder shot on the next one. Ever since I've been hunting them with no success...lol

I was taught that hunting is for meat and hides. The purpose being to eat the meat and make useful items from the hide. And, while hunting techniques and methods are used when pesting. The two are vastly different, because pest species aren’t typically thought as consumable. Though they are also made of meat.🤓🙀🙈

I was taught that hunting is for meat and hides. The purpose being to eat the meat and make useful items from the hide. And, while hunting techniques and methods are used when pesting. The two are vastly different, because pest species aren’t typically thought as consumable. Though they are also made of meat.🤓🙀🙈

Yupp, you clearly choose option 3️⃣ from the OP.

And you helpfully point out that the same techniques and methods are used as when "Hunting":
So in this definition 3️⃣ of "Hunting" it is not how the activity is performed
but on what kind of animal.

This adds clarity. Thanks. 👍🏼

Matthias

Reactions: L.Leon
● Tennessee basic hunting and fishing liscense
● WMA permit

● I make sure it is on my person when I legally hunt small game

Yupp, the OP's question assumes all that, of course:
● All activities you do are legal in the particular jurisdiction* where you happen to go to practice what you define as "Hunting" ✅

● All documents, licenses, and permits valid, paid for, and on your person ✅

➠ The question OP's is for YOUR PERSONAL definition of the activity you feel deserves the label "Hunting." 😊

Matthias

*Every jurisdiction, township, state, country has their own definition of what is legal — so that's not the question. 😊

Yupp, you clearly choose option 3️⃣ from the OP.

And you helpfully point out that the same techniques and methods are used as when "Hunting":
So in this definition 3️⃣ of "Hunting" it is not how the activity is performed
but on what kind of animal.

This adds clarity. Thanks. 👍🏼

Matthias
Hunting is of course defined by the animals being hunted. I hunt for rabbits, squirrels, deer, etc. for to eat. And while hunting techniques and equipment can be used to bag vermin? That is called pesting because after the kills, they are left for other animals to eat, they are not collected for future processing.

Hunting is of course defined by the animals being hunted.
I hunt for rabbits, squirrels, deer, etc. for to eat. And while hunting techniques and equipment can be used to bag vermin? That is called pesting because after the kills, they are left for other animals to eat, they are not collected for future processing.

L.Leon, 😊

I appreciate your input. 👍🏼 And I respect your opinion. I am not even trying to say you and your definition are wrong! 👍🏼

➠ I'm just trying to point out that this is YOUR definition of "Hunting."

➠ And that others have THEIR definitions of "Hunting".

For example, I could think of those guys who go out into the fields in search for coyotes. They wait for hours until one shows up, or they call them in, or they scan the night with NV. And then they kill them.
Afaik, none of those guys eats coyote meat, and only some do try to sell the hide.
➠ However, most of them would probably call their activity "Hunting."
That's THEIR definition, not necessarily mine. 😊

Matthias

Reactions: L.Leon
@JungleShooter, that’s just it… That is not MY singular definition it was taught to me and is pretty much universally accepted. Game animals that can be hunted have seasons and bag limits. With some exceptions for coyotes, etc. And I did state previously that hunting is for meat and or hides in response to the coyote hunting analogy you posted above. While hunting is indeed a personal endeavor, and there are myriad reasons why we do it. Whats defined as hunting, particularly in regards to the game laws is another. Hunting in its basic form is for meat, hides, horns and antlers…🙏 Simply put if you aren’t processing the animal for further future use? That’s not hunting… and again this is not MY singular definition… it was taught to me and learned through time.

@JungleShooter, that’s just it… Simply put if you aren’t processing the animal for further future use? That’s not hunting… and again this is not MY singular definition… it was taught to me and learned through time.
So if you "hunt" to use the carcass as fertilizer is it still hunting?

Reactions: beerthief