• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

šŸ”˜ How do YOU define what HUNTING is?

I was in an Amish general store back in November. They had a pretty big selection of books for youth. There was an exceptionally wide array of books on poaching. And from the titles it was teaching itā€™s wrong. Wonder why that is ?
In NE Ohio there is a reputation.
Poaching? As in ā€œpoaching peachesā€?šŸ¤“

I was in an Amish general store back in November. They had a pretty big selection of books for youth. There was an exceptionally wide array of books on poaching. And from the titles it was teaching itā€™s wrong. Wonder why that is ?
In NE Ohio there is a reputation.
I know hunters dread when the Amish show up in hoards and try to kill everything, but I never thought of them as poachers. Just seasonal serial killers. I would be very interested in seeing one of those books. Iā€™m a little shocked.

I know hunters dread when the Amish show up in hoards and try to kill everything, but I never thought of them as poachers. Just seasonal serial killers. I would be very interested in seeing one of those books. Iā€™m a little shocked.
Some years back, middle of summer, not deer season yet, Amish crew was putting a roof on a very large house on a large property, very affluent area. Three of them on the roof, three crossbows cocked with arrows. Not a fan.
Sorry OP for the hijack.

The general synopsis Jungle Shooter has stated I'm only going to agree with because this is a GUN forum and answered as such.

Said ... One may :
Hunt for a good deal
Hunt for a new home or place to live
Hunt for a place to hunt at some future time
Hunt for mushrooms etc ...

So the term is not so Black or White ... no ?

I am part of the 1, 2 ,3 & 4 hunting category.

As per #3, when shooting pest and problem animals I do not apply any of those. Many years back in the 1990's I was managing a farm planting vegetables and tomatoes. In the night some nocturnal antelope would raid the fields and eat a lot of the seedlings and we suffered a lot of damage. I called the local Fauna and Flora and they came to visit me on the farm. When they left I had a permit for damage control. That and the following seasons we did just that. At night time we would drive on the farm with big spotlights and shoot all the problem antelope. Obvious we utilised the meat and the farm workers enjoyed it as well.

Reactions: L.Leon
I am part of the 1, 2 ,3 & 4 hunting category.

As per #3, when shooting pest and problem animals I do not apply any of those. Many years back in the 1990's I was managing a farm planting vegetables and tomatoes. In the night some nocturnal antelope would raid the fields and eat a lot of the seedlings and we suffered a lot of damage. I called the local Fauna and Flora and they came to visit me on the farm. When they left I had a permit for damage control. That and the following seasons we did just that. At night time we would drive on the farm with big spotlights and shoot all the problem antelope. Obvious we utilised the meat and the farm workers enjoyed it as well.

Now, that sounds like a lot of fun! šŸ˜Š No matter how you call what you did ā€” Cool you got to do that! šŸ‘šŸ¼

Matthias

Last edited:
I donā€™t know about the ā€œfor pleasureā€ aspect but many animals kill for the sake of killing. Cats (large and small), some dogs/canines, raccoons, weasels and stoats, bears, spiders, and more. The term for it is surplus killing.

And a subset of predators subject their prey to agonizing deaths, like hyenas eviscerating the abdominal cavity of their prey while it is still alive.

Humans donā€™t quite have the market cornered on savagery.

Reactions: L.Leon
Humans are the only hunters that derive pleasure from killing.

Well, nervoustrig already answere this. Thanks for the reality check, nervoustrig. šŸ‘šŸ¼

āž  Here's one source: A research paper from the US Dep. of Agriculture:
"In the minutes before killing, cats will exhibit batting, mouthing, carrying, tossing, and tapping behaviors with their prey. The aforementioned 'play' activities will be shorter in duration if the cat is hungry. Cats, however, may kill prey even when their appetite is sated."Ā¹

"According to a study owned free-ranging cats [...] leave 49% [of their prey] behind" at the kill siteĀ¹ ā€” in other words, they don't kill to eat, they kill to kill.

Matthias

Ā¹ Source:

Reactions: beerthief
Animals are better more ethical hunters than man . Humans are the only hunter that derives pleasure from killing . Yes i am a hunter .
Ja-well, tell that to my dogs and cats. They kill anything that moves and just leave it there. They get all the food they want but that does not stop them from killing. And while the dogs do it their tails wag nonstop, indicating that they enjoy it.

Well, pretty obvious right ?

You can sit and kill an all bunch of critters without hunting,......and then you can do some serious hunting, tracking, getting close to the critters and just forgo the final part of killing them, you have hunted them down and taken the imaginary shot but letting them walk ( done that several times )

Reactions: beerthief
Spin off question :

who considers hunting flying in to a camp, getting tracked to a blind/stand with most likely a feeding station of some kind, shoot a critter that has zero chance and then get the camp help to take it out and processed ?

Raise your hand if you deem this hunting.
Ah ... another term for the mix. HARVESTING :ROFLMAO: