How do we feel about the Crosman DPMS automatic capable rifles?

I agree, I have finally reached the conclusion the CO2 powered BB rifles are a money pit and should be avoided. The only BB shooter I have left is the AR 15 platform Hellboy but I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time with that one. Pellet shooters seem to be better as my Sig and Crosman 1077 semi autos are still good especially the 1077. My problem is I’m absolutely hooked on pistol replicas that are authentic looking.

​​​​​​​​I too like those replica style CO2 guns but have been shying away from them because they don't last.

This is what I don't understand. These types of guns have been being made for a long time now. You would think they would have worked some of the bugs out and designed them so you can remove and replace the seal when they go bad. You can change out the seals on the 22xx and QB7 series of guns so why can't they design the replica guns the same way?

That is a good point. They certainly aren’t conducive to repair work. I also now have a houseful of tools to work on these things and am pretty much never successful in completing a repair that lasts for any amount of time. The other thing is the use of flimsy plastic in some fairly critical components. My favourite replica had the trigger lead snap on both ends and the only thing I can think of is super glue but I don’t think there is any way that holds.

So I ordered a new one....

Not full auto, but I have had the Colt Commander replica for a few years and it is holding up well. I only had trouble with the BB speedloader when I first got it. Adding a few drops of Pellgun oil to each hopper of BBs fixed that. I field stripped and oiled the pistol when I first got it, and put a drop of oil on the tip of each Co2 like I had heard recomended.

If these manufacturers would put a tad more money and effort into these they'd be much better guns. Heck I'd pay $400 for a higher quality semi PCP BB gun that was made to last and rebuildable. I'd also like it to be more powerful, like 8 fpe or so

The best C02 pistol I've owned is the Tanfoglio Gold custom. It's metal, feels like the real thing, has a good trigger, and has lasted so far. I only paid $50 for it on sale 3 years ago.

I agree, I have finally reached the conclusion the CO2 powered BB rifles are a money pit and should be avoided. The only BB shooter I have left is the AR 15 platform Hellboy but I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time with that one. Pellet shooters seem to be better as my Sig and Crosman 1077 semi autos are still good especially the 1077. My problem is I’m absolutely hooked on pistol replicas that are authentic looking.

If you are hooked on replicas that are authentic looking, have you also considered authentic operating replicas as well? Airsoft gas blowback pistols are the closest replica to real steel pistols and they operate and take down in the same manner. 

I've tried some of the high $$$ Walther and Umarex pistols and they are just so so. Tremendous cooldown on the CO2 cartridges which makes it hard to even fire a full mag of 8 without watching the pellets slow down. 

I have not had any problems with my DPMS shooting Daisy Zinc BB's. Have not heard of any issues with the DPMS, but have heard the Umarex MP40 and Thompson can have problems with certain BB's and you should stick to the Umarex ones.

As far as the replicas, I stay away from the blow back models. I do have 2 of them I picked up for cheap, but on everyone I've seen the sloppy fit between the slide, which has the sights, and the barrel pretty much destroy any possibility of being accurate enough for me. 

I have not had any problems with my DPMS shooting Daisy Zinc BB's. Have not heard of any issues with the DPMS, but have heard the Umarex MP40 and Thompson can have problems with certain BB's and you should stick to the Umarex ones.

As far as the replicas, I stay away from the blow back models. I do have 2 of them I picked up for cheap, but on everyone I've seen the sloppy fit between the slide, which has the sights, and the barrel pretty much destroy any possibility of being accurate enough for me.

In case the rest of the group may be interested

I understand the pitfalls of Replica Co2 pistols but I like being able to mess around with the slide and field strip it if possible and whatever else a guy can get up to.They are the worst for gas, a couple I own are lucky to have any velocity after about shot 40 bit some of them are so cool.

My issue with the Crosman automatics is I bought the full size one and the R1 and I’m not sure I got 100 shots total out of the two of them combined. Just couldn’t get a BB into the barrel with enough spunk to get past the entrance to the inner tube without getting hopelessly stuck. If a guy wants to drop a bunch of money on stuff he knows is fun but a little fat and may cause headaches that’s one thing, bringing home $350 worth of SMG and not having it work worth a darn is something else.

But that’s why I like my break barrels because one in particular is well behaved and a good sniper and the 22 isn’t good for much except sending lead down range. That’s also why I’m starting to think about a PCP but the problem with that is bringing a nice high powered PCP in to Canada is like castrating it.

The only problem I've had with my DPMS is with over tightening the CO2 cartridges. When loading them I slowly tighten the wrench with the thing by my ear so I can hear the thing getting punctured and then stop.

I have considered getting into the PCP side of things but for me there are two things stopping me. I really only got back into shooting airguns because the Covid-19 stay-at-home orders shut down the gun ranges I was going to, so I setup my old .22 trap to get some shooting in. Things kind of took off from there and I've added 4 rifles and 4 pistols to my gun collection since Feb. Since I am shooting at home with these, I really don't have the space to setup a long enough range to make a PCP worth wile. To take advantage of the power and distances I would be going to a range, at which point I might as well bring a firearm. To a lesser extent there is also the additional startup cost of a PCP, but I suppose in the long run I would be saving quite a bit in ammo costs.. 

I watch a lot of YouTube and stumbled across a video of the crossman sbr full auto bb gun. Which until that time I didn't know even existed outside of the carnival shoot out the star game. 

Well I had to have it. I love it, in less than a month of shooting a few days a week in the back yard. I have almost gone through my 6000ct crossman bb supply. 

It's great fun. I would have a hard time justifying the cost of shooting an AR that much.

For me it's great fun practicing drills and killing coke cans. 

I have two magazines and have had good luck with the gun overall in the short time I have owned it. The speedloader took awhile to break in and work smoothly. I sprayed in a bunch of silicon lube and it helped a lot. I also clean the rifle and silicon lube the moving parts of the action. 

I also have a crossman c11 co2 pistol. It's fun practicing reload drills did the the sbr and weapon transitions pistol to rifle etc. 

Waiting on my next order of 6000ct crossman bb's. The other bottle of bb's is almost empty. 

One of my two magazines has a cutout for the follower to lock at the bottom of its travel for loading bb's. The other one doesn't, so I think there has been an updated design on the magazines. 

I looked around for bulk sources of the 12 gram CO2 cartridges on Amazon and eBay but I think the best value is the 100ct or 500ct advertised at airgun depot or pyramid air. Neither site has them in stock currently though. 

My biggest problem is I think I have caught the addiction. Now I am looking at the Air Ordanance SMG 22 and the Drozd Blackbird. 

Happy shooting