• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

How do they get so accurate on long hunting shots?

I am a relative newby. I am shooting pretty good out to 75 yards. I can make a metal plate rat ring pretty regularly. And yesterday I got a crow at 110 for a farmer. However, I got 3 shots at the bird because the gun is so quiet and I was hiding behind a truck. That was a lucky shot but I watch these guys on you Tube point out their distances for shots and if they are truthful, I have no reason to believe they aren't, They have certainly moved beyond what I think I'll be able to do. I am shooting a .25 Impact with an Aztec Emerald on it. The rifle can do it but I can't. Your thoughts and experiences please.

First off-are you using a rangefinder? Distances get hard to judge by eye past around 40 yards for me. Do you have a range chart for your gun/pellet combo? Have you shot paper at various distances to make sure you're consistent? Once you have that covered, learn to judge wind by shooting in different conditions. The few times I have scored hits past 100 yards were in light steady wind conditions. I took a ranging shot on a pebble next to the ground squirrel mound to get my elevation and windage.

learn to use hold over and distance estimating, lots of good materials on this on youtube,
it will teach you how to use the Reticle markings on your scope
this is your Reticle on the Aztec Emerald
Aztec-Emerald-Reticle.jpg